PDA

View Full Version : Party Favour for a pool party - will this work

niccig
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
It looks like we can have DS's birthday party at the park's wadding pool - it's only take me TWO weeks to get someone from the city to call me back though. And I've get 3 weeks to get it together.

I was in Target and noticed some water bottles in their front rows for seasonal items. They are the bottles that come with a frozen stick to freeze and then put in the drink to keep cold. The small ones were $3.99 (I think). Would that work for a party favour, and I would add little things like maybe small beach ball/pool toys etc? The bottle are plastic but they are BPA free (says so on the bottle and on the label). I think I'd need to drive to several Targets to get enough bottles...but I will return leftovers...

My other option is Target has 2 packs of beach towels for $12.99. That would be $6.50 per child. I normally try to spend around $5. But it would be just the towel they would get. ETA. I've found some beach towels on clearance online at $3.99 each - but I wouldn't be able to return extras - it's an online clearance store..

I did a quick head count and looking at 15-20 kids...probably closer to 15 as not everyone can make it to a party...

malphy
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I would order the $3.99 beach towels, if you have extra you can always use them.

Then you can get a pool noodle at the Dollar store.

they would be all set.

schums
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I would order the $3.99 beach towels, if you have extra you can always use them.

Then you can get a pool noodle at the Dollar store.

they would be all set.

:yeahthat: I wouldn't have an issue with the plastic bottle per se, but we have TONS of these type of things (I think they breed in the kitchen cabinets at night). The towel would be very useful, and the kids would remember your son and the party every time they use it. I think the towel alone would be enough for a favor -- I wouldn't add anything.

niccig
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks.
I may have to rethink the favour idea. The beach towels I found for $3.99 turn out to be pretty thin and not well made according to a review. I was trying to find something useful, but I hate thin beach towels - I would want to give a decent quality one. I'll keep looking around. If I can find a coupon and bring the Target ones from $13 for 2, to less than that, then it might be an idea. I'll hunt around at Marshalls/Home Goods/Kohls etc and see what I can find for towels, or other ideas for favours.

newg
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't know if this is way off (DD is only 15 months)...but what about just fun summer toys....like squirt guns or those squishy water balls that soak up the water...bubbles..
..I like the towel idea too.....what about walmart for a good price on towels?

Melaine
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I saw these are 2 for $12 at Target, but not sure of quality:
http://www.target.com/gp/search/187-2653530-2410346?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&index=target&field-browse=1038576&ref=sr_bx_1_1&field-keywords=beach%20towel

niccig
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I saw these are 2 for $12 at Target, but not sure of quality:
http://www.target.com/gp/search/187-2653530-2410346?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&index=target&field-browse=1038576&ref=sr_bx_1_1&field-keywords=beach%20towel

With the 10% off through AAA membership, it's about $5.40 a towel + tax. Shipping is free over $50. That's not too bad. BUT when I asked DS who in his class he wants to invite, it went from 4 kids to the whole class. With out play group friends,it puts us over 20 kids - granted not all will come. The wading pool is not huge...I think 15-20 kids would be fine, but more might not work. I'll have to work out the head count first. If we agree to more kids, I'll have to go with cheaper favours. I'll do a run around tomorrow checking out towels and pool toys at a few places and see what I can come up with.

vonfirmath
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
:yeahthat: I wouldn't have an issue with the plastic bottle per se, but we have TONS of these type of things (I think they breed in the kitchen cabinets at night). The towel would be very useful, and the kids would remember your son and the party every time they use it. I think the towel alone would be enough for a favor -- I wouldn't add anything.

I would get just the beach towel. I've still got the frog beach towel I won at BINGO while visiting friends' "summer condo" when I was a freshman in high school (I think. Maybe 8th grade actually) and I'm 35 now!

And we've still got (and use!) the beach towels another friend brought back from Hawaii for us -- nearly 5 years ago.

No plastic bottle has lasted in our cupboards nearly that long!

neeter
06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
i love the beach towel idea but its can add up with all those guests! i like the pool noodle idea plus a beach ball or a one of those squishy balls.

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I like your ideas. I just wanted to share what I did for ds's pool party when he was turning 5:
-sand pail ($1 at TRU)
-1 splash bomb ball
-sidewalk chalk
-one other little thing that I can't seem to remember, blow up beach ball maybe? The party store had a ton of fun pool toys.
-tied a balloon to each bucket

Beth

niccig
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I like your ideas. I just wanted to share what I did for ds's pool party when he was turning 5:
-sand pail ($1 at TRU)
-1 splash bomb ball
-sidewalk chalk
-one other little thing that I can't seem to remember, blow up beach ball maybe? The party store had a ton of fun pool toys.
-tied a balloon to each bucket

Beth

I think we're going to go with this. The beach towel will just be too much money. I had a quick look at the 99c store flyer and they had pblow up surf rider. A small one for kids. I thought I might do that with sand pail and splash bomb ball.

Oh, I'm going to make the pool party cake you made from Women's Day. In a week or so I'm going to start working out timing of things - what to make and when...can I PM you for advice?? MIL will be here, but she absolutely refuses to help with the cake...too bad, I told her she's onboard with painting graham teddy bears...

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm happy to answer any cake questions when the time comes. :) PM whenever.

Have a great party!!

Beth

niccig
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm happy to answer any cake questions when the time comes. :) PM whenever.

Have a great party!!

Beth

Thanks. I'll look through the recipe and think about how I want to do things. It should be fun....last cake I did with my mother we were drinking wine at the same time, we laughed so much. I'll have to see if MIL will do the same..

bubbaray
06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
My suggestion was the same as Beths.

Sand pail/shovel
sidewalk chalk
bubbles
blowup beach toy/ball/floaty thing
pool noodle
pinwheel
sunglasses

I wouldn't do all of those, just whatever I could find cheap and would add up to about $5/child.

I would skip the beach towel unless you can find them somewhere for cheap that will take returns. Ditto the water bottles -- they breed at night in MY kitchen too and I prefer my kids use ones *I* pick out for them.