PDA

View Full Version : Is this the norm when showing guests your home?

zephyr
06-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Just curious, when you show guests your home do you open up closets and cupboards? We were at a coworkers house party and literally every closet and cupboard was opened during the "house tour" they were giving (including bathroom cupboards). Granted, everything was immaculately organized, but still. So, do other people really do this? I'm just wondering what to expect when people come over and would like a tour of my (small) house. What should I show them and what's off limits? TIA!

MontrealMum
06-10-2009, 12:32 AM
I think this might be regional or cultural. Don't know which. In the Midwest where I was raised it is normal to offer a "tour" of your home to guests and it is seen as being friendly and welcoming, not boasting. They expect it. In QC where I now live, this is never done and is seen as very odd (bragging, almost), unless the guest is from outside of QC and requests the tour ;) However, in neither place does the tour include cupboards or closets. Or under the bed ;)

gatorsmom
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
..including bathroom cupboards).

Ick! I don't want to see what's in someone's bathroom cupboards!!!! Or, frankly, in any other cupboards. I don't care how organized they are.

When we are having a party and guests over, I give a tour of our house because I love getting a tour when I go to someone else's house. They are proud to do it and I'm curious! ;) But, I"m not THAT curious. The closest I"ve come to showing that kind of private stuff is showing someone the clothing closets. And only because we've been blessed with big closets in the last few houses we lived in and people have asked to see them. But I draw the line there.

kijip
06-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't get house tours, but they are done here.

I was at a fundraising related event recently where one of the main draw was everyone wanting to see the woman's newly built house. I figured that meant complimenting the view and ogling the kitchen a little. Apparently it meant wandering all three floors in groups exclaiming over each room, crook and cranny. Master bedroom, kids rooms, playroom, laundry, bathrooms. Everything. And the elevator. It was a lovely home (and in my field, I see the inside of a lot of houses of people with serious $$) But I felt really odd being expected to wander the house.

DebbieJ
06-10-2009, 01:12 AM
No, I do not open my closets and cupboards. That's taking it a bit too far.

MamaMolly
06-10-2009, 02:27 AM
It is very common in our circle to do house tours. When overseas we are in assigned housing, so it is fun to compare all the random wierdnesses of each other's houses. (I had one with a 3 foot hot pink crystal chandelier and a maid-call bell. My neighbors had a roof deck, that kind of thing) It is also fun to see all the different things people do with the *exact* same set of Drexel Heritage furniture :). When we are here and in rental housing we do house tours as a tool to compare what you can get for about the same money in different areas of the city. Very useful for the inevitable return trips. But opening the drawers and cupboards would be really, really, really weird.

Maybe she is super proud of being super organized. Or just super weird.

zephyr
06-10-2009, 04:00 AM
So I will NOT be opening closets. LOL. Thanks for the reassurance. Big, I mean BIG, load off my back.

JBaxter
06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I dont give them. I find it intrusive to have people look at wheere I sleep. IF someone has a brand new house and we are there for a house warming and they offer to show the bedrooms then I will go but I will now give tours of mine :)

Snow mom
06-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I can't imagine giving a tour of my house, but then again you walk in and you've basically seen it. I had to laugh though because we were at a good friends the other night and I wanted to look in a closet in her bedroom because I knew they had installed a tankless water heater and I've been considering doing the same. The closet used to be just laundry and the water heater, so I asked if I could look. It turns out her boyfriend has taken over the closet and she had clearly asked him to throw his stuff in their before we came over. I felt really embarrassed, like I had invaded his personal space :bag. I often clean this way (quick, throw it in the closet!) We have a friend who tends to put her dirty dishes in her oven if she doesn't have time to wash them before someone stops by. I guess we don't hang with an "open anything you want" type crowd.

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Not here it isn't normal. eta- I don't give tours either unless there is some really good reason or it is a close friend or family member that hasn't seen the house yet.

Beth

Neatfreak
06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Unless I specifically came over to check out a friend's cool new closet org system, I'd be rather baffled by such a spectacle!

HIU8
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
DH has this habit of giving everyone who comes over a tour of our house (if it is the first time they are over). I hate this. I feel like 1) it is an intrusion of our privacy 2) maybe the person/people do not want to be led around our house to see all of our stuff. I know DH is just proud and wants to share, but come on...I never get a tour of someones house when I go over to them. Plus, I have an aunt who, as long as I can remember, has walked into my house/my parents house and goes through closets and drawers without asking. She then asks why we have certain things/where we got certain things. IT IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING I HAVE BEEN SUBJECT TO FOR ALL OF MY LIFE!

sidmand
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
We have given a tour of the house. Don't mind that, I think people (I know me!) are often curious and DH likes giving a tour. But I would never think to include closets/drawers and I would never ask to see someone else's!

FWIW, when DH and I were in our first apartment (1 bedroom) his parents were coming over and we threw EVERYTHING in the closet. And then basically slammed the door shut. His Dad opened it (on purpose...I love the guy, but he does like to embarrass anyone he can) and everything fell out...oops :oops:

bubbaray
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Good grief, NO. If anyone opens cupboards/closets in my house, they might get bowled over by an avalanche of crap that comes out when they open the door!

HIU8
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
My aunt is coming over on Sunday to celebrate DD's bday. You just gave me a really good idea :D and it would serve her right!

lizajane
06-10-2009, 01:38 PM
people here give a tour of the house or we give ourselves self-guided tours. it is very common and i like seeing other people's style. gives me ideas for things i can do in my own house. i don't open my own or anyone else's closets, etc. but if there was something new and interesting about the closet, i would enjoy seeing it- again, as ideas for my own house.

hellokitty
06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
My parents friends all used to do it and I thought it was, "normal" until I went off to college. When DH and I bought our first house he LOVED to show it to ppl, same with our 2nd house (present). I don't get his fascination with showing off our house. Now that we have kids, he doesn't do it anymore (b/c I'd be really PO'd at him). Most ppl I know now do not do, "tours" of their house. I had one friend who really wanted one though and the only reason I had a clue was b/c when we went to their house, she (she's from TX, maybe it's common there?) gave me a tour of the house, even though I did not ask for one. I politely went along with it. The first time she came over, I made sure that my house was not just clean on the main floor, BUT upstairs as well and I was soooo glad I did, b/c the kids wandered upstairs and she followed them, b/c she was curious to see the rest of the house.

The only time I ask to look at a particular part of a house is if I know they have had recent renovations done to a certain area. Like a friend just finished their basement a couple of months ago and when I was at her place last time, there were several of us in the group who asked if we could take a peek. She was more than happy to show it off. I can understand ppl wanting to see a renovation project that you've been talking about, but still think it's a little weird to just be expected to provide house tours. My house is far from being a model home and omg if someone opened my closets and cupboards, I'd be so embarrassed. They are NOT exactly well organized.

missym
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Good grief, NO. If anyone opens cupboards/closets in my house, they might get bowled over by an avalanche of crap that comes out when they open the door!

Our term for this is crapalanche. ;)

jhamman
06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
This topic reminded me of British comedy:

"Dame Edna's Neighbourhood Watch"

...a sort-of game show/reality TV show where Dame Edna
examines every nook and cranny of the contestant's home.

This DVD is available on netflix;
if Dame Edna is your cup of tea, you might want to rent it!

newg
06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
We'd do a 'quick' tour of the house for someone who hasn't seen it and wants to....but it's pretty much; "this is the bathroom, closet, bedroom bedroom bedroom...kitchen....downstairs..and we're done"...the only time I have opened doors was when we got new kitchen cabinets and our friends from across the street wanted to see them and see how everything fit after the horrendous cabinets we use to have....same thing with the new tub...they wanted to see it....
I enjoy a good home tour, but only a short one...and only if it's offered...I just want to see cool ideas for decorating/furniture placement...but thats it!!

Melaine
06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Our term for this is crapalanche. ;)
:ROTFLMAO:

I've never heard of the guided tours being SO in depth that you'd open cabinets or closets.....that's over the top!

specialp
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Um, no. Isn't that what those things are for - to hide all the crap that isn't presentable?

billysmommy
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
We never take people upstairs (2 bedrooms and a bath so nothing to see) but we end up giving a tour of the main floor. Our bathroom is in a really odd spot and you either have to go through kitchen/dining room/toy room/hallway, kitchen/dining room/living room/hallway or family room/living room/hallway to get to it.

I love to be shown around the living areas of other's homes. I don't need to see bedrooms or bathrooms unless there are really cool features (like a newly redone kid's room/nursery or a new bathroom)

trales
06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I will show friends rooms I have recently re-done, like our bedroom after I installed the wood floors myself. But thats about it. Usually the tour includes, here is the changing table if you need it. Here is the bathroom, the couch if you need to nurse, the garbage (we hide it b/c our newf can open cabinet doors) and the toys.

bubbaray
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
our term for this is crapalanche. ;)

:rotflmao:

bubbaray
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
No idea why my smiliee won't work..... Anyway, that is hilarious!

hillview
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I always offer a tour or invite folks to take a look around. There are usually clothes on the floor and out bed isn't ever made. I don't open closets etc. Some folks here will give you a tour but I wouldn't say it was typical. I'd love more to offer! I love looking at houses and if you want to show me your closet that works for me. If I had JUST had California Closets in or something I might mention that to close friends as I'd be SO excited;)
/hillary

neeleymartin
06-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Maybe she is super proud of being super organized. Or just super weird.

:yeahthat: seems like bragging organization to me. yuck!

mommylamb
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Anyone watch Curb Your Enthusiasm? Makes me think of the episode when Suzie wants to give Larry a tour of their new home and he's like "Nah, not interested..." and it so pisses her off. Hilarious episode if you like that kind of humor.

DH really does not like house tours. The only time I've given them was when we just first moved into our house, and only for close friends and family. DH thought it was strange anyway. He's really uncomfortable when someone wants to give a tour of their house to us.