PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting without tears

nmosur
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
DD just turned 3 and I am would like to start teaching her to write. I have been looking at the Handwriting without tears program online and so far I am leaning toward using their program. Has anyone here used it for their kids??? Seems like I have to order their products online - I called CS and was told that I could buy it in stores but they did not have any information on which stores would carry it (I tried Lakeshore and Learning Express with no success).

These are my questions:
1. What products should I get which are unique to HWT
2. Which stores carry these products.

TIA
Naveena

maydaymommy
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
If for no other reason to see Maggie Gyllenhaal as the granola mom when she explains she doesn't like strollers because they push your child away from you.

Huh?? This is the second time in a few minutes I've seen this nonsequitor. What am I not getting??

Anyway, for OP - I don't know about where to purchase it if not online. BUt, I wanted to chime in to say it's a great program. I taught at a private progressive school that uses it and I've always thought that when i had kids old enough, I would purchase it myself.

HIGHLY recommend the program!

Melaine
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Huh?? This is the second time in a few minutes I've seen this nonsequitor. What am I not getting??

Anyway, for OP - I don't know about where to purchase it if not online. BUt, I wanted to chime in to say it's a great program. I taught at a private progressive school that uses it and I've always thought that when i had kids old enough, I would purchase it myself.

HIGHLY recommend the program!

This "person" seems to be randomly quoting us in wrong threads. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, perhaps a troll?

Gena
06-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Handwriting without Tears is a great program. I use it with my son at home and his teacher and OT use it with him at school. I only know of places to buy it online. Amazon has some of their products as do some websites that carry special needs/therapy supplies. Or you can order directly from the HWT website.

However, just turned 3 is VERY young to teach a child to write. Does she have pre-writing skills of holding a pencil/crayon and drawing shapes. Most young three year old do not have the fine motor skills to start writing.

new_mommy25
06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
My DS used it in his kindergarten class and it helped a lot. His handwriting was beautiful by the end of the year.

I agree that 3 is a little young. My DD is 3 and there is no way she is capable of writing letters well. And she "draws" all the live long day.

nmosur
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
DD has been and is showing a lot of interest in writing - she can write H and O :-) I am not too sure if she can hold a pencil for long which is why I want to use HWT - I like the idea of tracing the alphabets with her fingers, constructing the alphabets, etc - sort of writing the alphabets without actually using a pencil.

Naveena

fivi2
06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
ITA with the pps that 3 is pretty young to start a writing curriculum. My girls are 3.5 and will write letters on occasion - but they do it on their own and write them backwards, upside down - all sorts of ways. Most of their friends do not do any letters at all.

There are many things you can do to help fine motor skills and pre-writing skills. I would not think you need to buy an actual curriculum. I don't have time to look them up, but there are many threads on fine motor skills here and in the Lounge. I know Brittone has mentioned several good exercises (along with many other posters). I will look later when my company leaves, but there are many good suggestions.

But, if you want a curriculum, I have heard good things about that one!

mytwosons
06-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I am very familar with HWT. It sounds like you are going to start at the very beginning of their program, where they don't use a writing instrument, but use clay to shape the letters. Or, just trace with their finger. I think that is very age appropriate for three years old.

I highly recommend the HWT program. It's simple, effective, and inexpensive. FWIW, we ordered ours from their website. I simply read all of the product descriptions and made my purchasing decisions. Our OT said you really only need the basic pieces (maybe they were the chalkboard and wooden pieces?) but I did get more and felt it was money well spent. IIRC, I bought a lot of stuff and it was still relatively cheap; maybe $50-$75 w/shipping?

I need to post ours on swap...

nmosur
06-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I am very familar with HWT. It sounds like you are going to start at the very beginning of their program, where they don't use a writing instrument, but use clay to shape the letters. Or, just trace with their finger. I think that is very age appropriate for three years old.

I highly recommend the HWT program. It's simple, effective, and inexpensive. FWIW, we ordered ours from their website. I simply read all of the product descriptions and made my purchasing decisions. Our OT said you really only need the basic pieces (maybe they were the chalkboard and wooden pieces?) but I did get more and felt it was money well spent. IIRC, I bought a lot of stuff and it was still relatively cheap; maybe $50-$75 w/shipping?

I need to post ours on swap...

PM'ed you about the HWT products - I am willing to take them off your hands :-)

Naveena

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-15-2009, 01:41 AM
This "person" seems to be randomly quoting us in wrong threads. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, perhaps a troll?

Plus no one really does the Mary_12345 type name on here. Looks odd.....

cchavez
06-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree 3 is too young to start a formal handwriting curriculum.