PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Store Out of Business

kdmason8
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
My husband and I are expecting DD in October and we placed an order for a beautiful Munire crib and dresser in April. We found our yesterday that the store we ordered the crib from (local USA Baby) has filed for bankruptcy and never placed our order. We have filed a fraud complaint with our credit card company and are in the process of having the money refunded. It appears that the money will be refunded, as we will not receive the furniture. So this leaves us without any furniture and only 4 months until DD is supposed to arrive. I absolutely fell in love with the crib and dresser and do not want to chose another one. What should we do???

star04
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Is there another store where you can order the crib? You still have 4 months, but if it doesn't arrive in time, you could use a pack n play/cosleeper for a little while.

mom2binsd
06-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I think so many new parents really really stress about the crib and dresser...in the whole scheme of things it often doesn't really make or break things....I'd just start looking for something else, there is so much out there and I'd try to find something that is available and in stock...I hear so many stories about the baby furniture stores that I'd try to buy from one that has been around and won't be going anywhere (like BRU).

jacksmomtobe
06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
You will definitely be fine with a pack n play for a while. This same situation happened to us with DS's big boy bed. We wanted to transition him from crib to bed before DD arrived. I found out actually on this board that the store had closed. The manufacturer of the bed I wanted also had another dealer in our area and both manufactuere and dealer were aware of the situation and expedited our order for DS's bed. We actually got it sooner than we were originally promised it so you may want to check munire's website for other stores in your area who carry their line to see if they can do anything for you. It was stressful for us but everything turner out ok.

Good Luck!

Naranjadia
06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Ditto what everyone said. We used a cosleeper as a bassinet for our twins for the first 4 months of their lives, and we had the cribs on hand. So you do have time. That being said, I know how much better it is to have all your ducks in a row before your baby arrives. Hopefully you'll be able to find another Munire retailer in your area and get it in time. Have you checked their website?

fortato
06-12-2009, 04:48 AM
A pack-n-play would work fine for a few months even. Jack slept in our room in his until he was almost 3 months old.

His crib, while beautiful, sat in his room for months- collecting dust and stuffed animals.

Don't worry about the crib, maybe you'll find the same one for a better deal. I'm sorry you have to deal with the credit card company though!

kdmason8
06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a bassinet that I was planning to use in the beginning anyway, so I will be set for the first month or two. The problem is that there are no other local retailers for baby furniture in town except for BRU. At this point, I'm probably looking at a 2-3 hour drive to order and pick up the furniture. Not the end of the world, as we should be able to get our money back, but definitely one thing I thought I had taken care of...