PDA

View Full Version : painful letdown every 2 hours- OUCH!

LarsMal
06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
I had those experiences with the other two where I'd hear a crying baby and have letdown, but this one is new to me! I am having pretty painful letdown every 2 hours on the dot. Is it a mental thing? Baby C will go anywhere from 2-3 hours during the day, but exactly 2 hours from the beginning of the last feeding I will have letdown- and it hurts!!! Then I have it again when I start to BF, and it still hurts, but at least I know why!

I'm assuming this is normal? Will it eventually stop? I'm afraid to go w/o breast pads even though I don't seem to leak when it happens, just the pain.

stinkyfeet
06-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I have something similar to this too, but not quite as frequently. I feel it on the side of my left breast. The pain is usually early in the morning--I found that it helps to use a hot water bottle to ease my pain. I have talked to a lactation consultant about this, and she seemed to agree that it was a painful let down vs. some sort of infection. I found that it is easing up a bit, but I just sort of suck it up and deal with it. I know that doesn't help you much--but misery loves company, right? :bighand:

daisymommy
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Same thing happened with me, mainly for the first few months, then it started to get further and further apart (hour wise). I figured my body just knew my baby was hungry about that time! So I fed Hannah right around then.

Remember, even if baby C will "go 2-3 hrs." between feeding, since you have been struggling with getting her weight up (I hope I'm not getting you confused with someone else! If I am, I'm sorry!)--I would feed her every 2 hrs. when your milk is letting down. Both of my kids were about 6 months old when they eventually went to 3 hr. feedings.