PDA

View Full Version : Milk options for 1 year olds with Milk allergy

ATLmom
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I recently discovered that my daughter has an allergy to cow's milk protein as confirmed by blood and skin test.

Now I am left trying to decide on the best cow's milk alternative for my child as her 1 year birthday is just a couple of weeks away.

I've looked into Soy, Rice, Almond, and Goat milk. Quite frankly, after researching the differences, I don't want to give her any of them. There is also almost no where to go for a good comprehensive review of the options. And most forums have terrible and innacurate information concerning the topic. It would be wonderful if you could include a section on this in either your Baby 411 or your Toddler 411 book...maybe both.

Here are my concerns with the list of milks above,
Soy Milk- Isoflavones
Rice Milk - It containes arsenic
Almond Milk - Most brands contain Carrageenan, linked to the rapid growth of tumors.
Goat milk - most children who are allergic to cow's milk protein will also be allergic to goat milk protein.

Also, most of these milks are high in Sugar, and low in fat, calcium and other nutrients. I realize that children can get fat, protein, calcium and other nutrients from their diet...but in reality, a parent may have the best intentions for getting the right foods into a toddler, but it doesn't always work out as planned. You just can't force them to eat certain things, or force them to eat the exact right amount of certain things. In addition, many of these milks taste terrible...I've been sampling them.

My daughter is currently on Alimentum. She's been doing wonderfully on that. I don't see why she can't stay on it for at least another year. Unfortunately the makers of Similac do not have a Hypoallergenic "Go and Grow" toddler formula. I really don't care about the cost...we're paying for it now. I just want to ensure that my child is getting the best options possible for nutrition despite her allergy. I want her to have a better chance of getting the healthy fats, calcium, protein, Omegas, and nutrients in the right quantities.
I know that toddlers will not be drinking as much milk anymore...but will it hurt to have her drink alimentum instead of a cow's milk alternative beverage that has a fraction of the nutritional benefit?? And if I do keep her on alimentum, should I watch for a deficit in something that the alimentum will not provide a child in her age bracket?

HIU8
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
DS was on alimentum. We were told at a year to get him off of it and try one of the milks you mentioned. DS drank soy for a year and then was able to stomach regular milk again. that is what he currently drinks.

DD cannot drink milk either. She can have some foods containing milk, but not a glass of milk (gives her diahrea and exema). She also cannot drink soy (gives her diahrea as well). She will only drink rice milk (the vanilla flavored). She drinks about 16 oz a day (if that) and gets her calcium from other foods. I have never heard that rice milk contains arsenic. DD's drinks the rice dream brand. Which ingredient is arsenic? I'm curious now and want to look into it.

Tondi G
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
"In addition, many of these milks taste terrible...I've been sampling them. "

I don't think alimentium tastes particularly nice either! Chances are your kiddo won't have an issue once they get used to the taste of which ever you decide to feed them. Allimentium has sweeteners in it too.

I've never heard about arsenic in rice milk... WOW. I fed my little guy rice milk, soy milk and eventually cows milk. I guess you can't really win can you.

You don't HAVE to give your child milk. There are plenty of kids who can digest cows milk but will not drink it. There are calcium fortified juices out there and you can easily give them a calcium supplement. Fats can be worked out too... give a fish oil or flax seed oil supplement.... avocados are a good source too.

You can continue with the Alimentium for another 6 to 12 months if you are comfortable with it and don't mind the additional expense. But I don't know that it is necessary.

Have you read about formulas on Dr Sears website (interesting)

(Alimentum, Nutramigen, Pregestamil)If you see the term "hypoallergenic" on the label, this means that the formula has been proven to cause fewer allergies in babies than standard formulas. Since, by definition, the term "allergy" implies a sensitivity to a protein, the term "hypoallergenic" means that the protein in the formula has been "hydrolyzed" or "predigested," broken down into tinier proteins that are less likely to cause allergic reactions. Consider these potential problems with hydrolyzed protein formulas.

The protein problem: In contrast to formulas that advertise "partially hydrolyzed protein," in these formulas the proteins need to be completely hydrolyzed or broken down into smaller parts in order for the label to carry the term "hypoallergenic." This requires intense processing that results in a bitter, almost unpalatable flavor, despite the high content of sweeteners. Tasting one of these formulas is enough to make any mother want to re-lactate.
The carbohydrate problem. When the protein is hydrolyzed, the lactose is also taken out of the milk, so the manufacturer has to add carbohydrates -- usually corn syrup, sucrose, corn starch, or even tapioca. As we described above, substituting other sugars for lactose may not be a good idea. Nor is it necessarily true that a baby with protein allergies will also be lactose intolerant.
The salt problem. Hypoallergenic formulas are 30 to 90 percent higher in salt.
The fat problem. The fat blend of Alimentum or Nutramigen is the same as found in each manufacturer's cow's-milk-based formulas, Similac and Enfamil, respectively. The primary fats in Pregestamil are medium-chain triglycerides, an intestinal-friendly fat that is used in children with fat malabsorption disorders. MCT's are a factory-made fat. They do not occur in nature, and they provide no essential fatty acids essential for a baby's growing brain and body. MCT's can be used as an energy supplement to boost weight gain in infants growing slowly. Yet, they should not be a baby's main fat source unless advised by your doctor. Pregestamil should not be given to healthy babies with no proven fat malabsorption disorders, or to infants with impaired liver function.
The price problem. The infant pays a high nutritional price for these formulas, and parents discover that hypoallergenic formulas are four to five times more expensive than standard formulas.
Our conclusion: Hypoallergenic formulas should not be used without a doctor's recommendation, and then only if there is a definite medical reason. Don't switch to one of these formulas just because baby is "fussy" without trying different standard formulas first.

MamaMolly
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Rice Milk - It containes arsenic

I would also like to have more info on that. Can you post a link? We alternate between rice and soy for DD and I'd appreciate being able to read more. Thanks.

alirebco
06-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Have you looked into hemp milk? We drink it at home and really like it. DS is still breastfeeding but he has a dairy intolerance and I'll probably put him on hemp milk once he weans.

jren
06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
My DS is also on Allimentum due to a true (confirmed) allergy to milk protein. He was not gaining weight prior to Allimentum. I wonder what Dr. Sears would have had me do, since DS was adopted and I can't adoptive breastfeed due to being on antiseizure meds. But that's way off-topic.. I just find advice like that unhelpful and judgemental, but that's Dr. Sears for ya...

I also wonder what we'll give DS after a year - have 4 1/2 months left to figure it out. I'm not crazy about soy as an option and was considering rice. I do remember reading something about arsenic in it, though. I wonder if there are certain brands that don't contain arsenic?

alirebco
06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Here's a link I found on rice milk and aresenic. I didn't think it was an option for children over a year anyway because nutrionally it doesn't stand up in terms of fat and vitamin content.

http://www.speciation.net/Public/News/2008/03/15/3519.html

DrSally
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
DS took some Alimentum when he was a newborn and then was EBF. He had a milk allergy and did fine on the allimentum until I was able to get back to EBF. I kept bfing him until he was 3 yo partially b/c of his milk allergy. For me, the best substitute (considering all the options) was full fat, fortefied soymilk (calcium and vit D) starting around 13 months? When he outgrew the milk allergy, I tried to transition to cow's milk, but he didn't like it and may have a lactose intolerance as well. Anyway, I just stopped giving the soymilk at 2.5 since he was already getting a lot of soy from soybutter sandwhiches he has every day. We use lactaid for cereal. ITA with you about the goat's milk. I would not give that if he has a milk allergy. I might give it if he outgrows the milk allergy as a transition milk. FWIW, alimentum also has sugar (or corn syrup, can't remember). It also is very bitter and DS wouldn't touch it as a milk substitute when I tried at 13 or so months to get rid of a few remaining cans I had left over.

DrSally
06-12-2009, 10:49 PM
My DS is also on Allimentum due to a true (confirmed) allergy to milk protein. He was not gaining weight prior to Allimentum. I wonder what Dr. Sears would have had me do, since DS was adopted and I can't adoptive breastfeed due to being on antiseizure meds. But that's way off-topic.. I just find advice like that unhelpful and judgemental, but that's Dr. Sears for ya...

I also wonder what we'll give DS after a year - have 4 1/2 months left to figure it out. I'm not crazy about soy as an option and was considering rice. I do remember reading something about arsenic in it, though. I wonder if there are certain brands that don't contain arsenic?

I think giving your son Alimentum was fine and I'm sure he thrived on it. I do agree with what Dr. Sears is saying nonetheless. Just b/c something is true, doesn't mean that everyone can follow that advice, and if they can't, it doesn't make them bad parents. I wasn't crazy about giving DS formula for the first month, but I needed to (along with pumping) due to bfing issues. That was the best possible solution for us at them time, even if it wasn't ideal. I don't take that at all to mean that Dr. Sears is judging me. I'm glad that he gives advice on what he views as optimal.

MamaMolly
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Here's a link I found on rice milk and aresenic. I didn't think it was an option for children over a year anyway because nutrionally it doesn't stand up in terms of fat and vitamin content.

http://www.speciation.net/Public/News/2008/03/15/3519.html

Well dirty word, dirty word, dirty word. I really wanted this to be some wacked out info you got off some crazy conspiracy theory website.

Harumph.

On the other hand, I sincerely appreciate you bringing it up. I want to be able to make an informed decision when it comes to what I feed DD, so thank you. Can't shoot the messenger if I don't like the information, right? :duck:

At first I added canola oil to the rice milk to boost the good fats, but now that DD is over 2 I quit doing it. For the good fats she eats one adult sized fish iol capsule a week. She loves them. For her drink alternate between soy and rice.

I've been thinking a lot about this and here is what I figure: no matter what you feed your child, there are going to be some drawbacks. Even cow milk isn't ideal. I have a friend who gives her children only raw milk (un-pasturized, un-homogenized from local, free range, grass fed cows that aren't given growth hormones or antibiotics). Even she is taking a risk by doing that. But it is the risk that she has calculated that (for her family) has the lowest chance of harm and the greatest potential for benefit. It doesn't work for my family.

I've considered making my own rice milk. Several parents on KWFA do because there is no risk of cross contamination that way. Maybe that and a multi-vitamin? I don't know.

alirebco
06-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Well dirty word, dirty word, dirty word. I really wanted this to be some wacked out info you got off some crazy conspiracy theory website.

Harumph.

On the other hand, I sincerely appreciate you bringing it up. I want to be able to make an informed decision when it comes to what I feed DD, so thank you. Can't shoot the messenger if I don't like the information, right? :duck:

At first I added canola oil to the rice milk to boost the good fats, but now that DD is over 2 I quit doing it. For the good fats she eats one adult sized fish iol capsule a week. She loves them. For her drink alternate between soy and rice.

I've been thinking a lot about this and here is what I figure: no matter what you feed your child, there are going to be some drawbacks. Even cow milk isn't ideal. I have a friend who gives her children only raw milk (un-pasturized, un-homogenized from local, free range, grass fed cows that aren't given growth hormones or antibiotics). Even she is taking a risk by doing that. But it is the risk that she has calculated that (for her family) has the lowest chance of harm and the greatest potential for benefit. It doesn't work for my family.

I've considered making my own rice milk. Several parents on KWFA do because there is no risk of cross contamination that way. Maybe that and a multi-vitamin? I don't know.

I wasn't the op but just one who commented and then searched for the link about rice milk and arsenic. We actually use hemp milk in our household and really enjoy it. Making your own rice milk would probably be a good option for you!

jren
06-14-2009, 09:10 AM
"Tasting one of these formulas is enough to make any mother want to re-lactate."

Statements like these from Dr. Sears are what I meant by my post on him making me feel judged as an amom. Not the actual facts he presents. I have his book and reading it from an adoptive mom's perspective, you "see" things you wouldn't see otherwise (and I would never expect non-adoptive parents to pick up on this stuff). His wife breastfed thier child they adopted, but after having breastfed all her other children (I think she was even still breastfeeding the youngest bio child when she started adoptive breastfeeding). And he never accounts for this - just states that his wife did it and so can anyone else, which is just not true. Very few adoptive moms can breastfeed exclusively. Anyway, I hope I don't offend anyone on my own pet peeve on Dr. Sears. Just my little hang up.

But back to the original topic...

Thanks to the poster of the rice/arsenic link! I guess we'll be doing soy for a while. My DD drank Silk due to a milk intolerance that she outgrew by 2, and she loved it but soy is so sweet she still won't drink plain milk. Wish we could just skip milk altogether. I remember hating it as a child...

DrSally
06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
jren, I'm actually adopted and studied adoption for my master's thesis and doctoral dissertation. I totally know what you mean about seeing things other's don't. We were at a mother-daughter tea at my mom's church for mother's day, and the speaker talked about her mother, who had 8 children. During the speech, she said, "All these were HER VERY OWN children, none were step or adopted". While I think her comment was meant to emphasize what she when through with childbirth, the wording was unfortunate. I mentioned it to my mom, that that might have hurt some adoptive parents in the audience afterward.

I wasn't aware you were specifically referring to the adoption bfing issue, I was under the impression you were referring to the Dr. Sears approach as a whole. I do agree that lactating as an adoptive parent is an extraordinary situation and I can't imagine it working for every parent, or even the majority of adoptive parents. I agree that it's a totally different situation to have already been bfing a bio child and then bf an adoptive child.

daisymommy
06-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a good friend who's son did not do well on anything until they tried hemp milk, and now he's a huge thriving 2 year old!