PDA

View Full Version : My little vent...

MontrealMum
06-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Truly, this is a vent, I don't want advice, just to scream - except DS is asleep!

If you've been reading my posts you know I'm temporarily in MI staying at my mom's with DS because my BFF's father died last week. Generally, things have gone well. Lots of trips and outings, DS' first haircut, great girls' night out, and friend/ family time. No clashes with my somewhat exasperating (and alcoholic) dad who lives in another town and couldn't be bothered to come down to visit.

Today I got home mid-afternoon (mom was babysitting) to discover that DS had been a little wild-man all day long (except for his nap). We dealt with it and were having a little wine only to get an email from DH that my ATM card (checking account) has been compromised. Even though we're joint they wouldn't talk to DH who is still in Canada and better equipped to deal with it. This is how I pay for most things on our trip (I'm returning early next week) and it's how I pay my Visa etc. as everything is tied together. The bank's fraud division is completely useless - account is frozen, can't do anything, must go into a branch - um, I'm not in the country!!! No apologies or suggestions as to how to deal. Long long long story and I'm not going to go into it all here. My ATM was used at a place where others' were comprimised - 6 moths to a year ago!!! I am just so tired and disgusted. Paid down the Visa and will be travelling on that, things will be OK, but really, I did not need this now.

Ack, now DS has awakened and have to interrupt this bi%$#! Just wanted to vent a bit -

Going to the beach tomorrow - whether it rains or not!

Thanks for reading :)

mommyp
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
That really sucks...I'm sorry.
I hope you have fun at the beach!

MontrealMum
06-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Ack! I guess my original post was a bit disjointed. DS has quieted, and I think I have the banking under control, but ye gads!!!

Things are generally going well on our solo road trip, but I guess this is a sign for us to return home.

Can I also share (b!tch) that I am on dial-up?!?

bubbaray
06-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Ug, that SUCKS. I'm so sorry.

ha98ed14
06-13-2009, 12:45 AM
That sucks! I am sorry. FWIW, I had the EXACT same thing happen, except I was in Lithuania. There was nothing I good do from there, so, thank God VISA is every where we want to be, right?

DietCokeLover
06-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Ugh, so sorry. What a headache.

MontrealMum
06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks, guys. Really glad I'm not somewhere like Lithiuania to deal with this as I can't imagine how stressful that would be. Veeeery unhappy w/ my bank's attitude towards dealing with this (ATM card may have been copied 6 mos to a year ago and they froze the account now - WTF?!?)...and may consider switching banks when I get back up there, though the 2nd customer service rep was much nicer and apologetic so we'll see how much stress would be involved in a switch - probably too much effort to do it - grrrrr!

I guess this ties into the thread earlier this week about not using credit cards. We generally don't, but I think they're important to have for emergencies like this.

MamaMolly
06-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Ugh. We were in London when DH's ATM got eaten by the machine. I had mine with me but had never activated it because we were living overseas and you had to activate it from your 'home' phone and at the time I couldn't remember which number we'd used when getting the cards in the first place. We took a deep breath and tried activating it with the cell and THANK GOD it worked. We'd have been SOOOO up the creek otherwise because a lot of the doctors we were in London to see wouldn't take a check from a US bank. American Express can only take you so far...