PDA

View Full Version : Was it Convenient to Potty Train Early?

sste
06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Our nanny suggested we start the potty training process with DS at around 20 months. To me, that seems early but on the other hand I think time to potty train is pretty cultural and apparently it happens earlier in my nanny's culture. DS is showing some but not many of the signs of readiness but I do think he could be taught over a few months - - his favorite thing in life is to flush the toilet, we currently only allow him one "gratis" flush her day, and he would pretty much learn quantum physics to get more flushes . . .

What do you think? What are the downsides?

Also, selfishly, I was looking forward to another winter of cute onesies and rompers before he moved into little boy clothes. Can you potty train and still have your LO wear onesies?

JBaxter
06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
We started with the potty at bathtime and when I went to the bathroom or when I THOUGHT they had to go at about that time with my boys. My niece was potty trained at 20 months but my boys were a little older but all were 100% out of daytime diapers by 2 1/2. My boys were all very proud and told everyone they were big boys and didnt wear baby diapers any more it was an accomplishment for them. I didnt mind not buying or changing diapers either. I did give mine a bit of a push because "I" have issues changing a 3 yr olds diapers ( again thats MY issue). If your nanny is willing to work with your little one I would do it. Its VERY VERY doable

christiedavid3
06-13-2009, 11:37 AM
our DS is 21 months and we're in the midst of PT'ing. He's doing really well. He's nowhere near reliable, and we only really push using the potty when we're at home. We still do diapers day and night, but when hanging out at home he's in cloth training pants or naked. He's really getting the hang of it, and is proud of his "big boy pants".

if your nanny is willing to spend time w/ him, i say totally go for it. You're lucky that she wants to train him!!! Be prepared for several months of training at that age, but I'm sure he can do it. I'd recommend using cloth training pants and not pull-ups. My DS has quickly learned he doesn't want to get his big boy pants wet.

I stay away from onesies now. it's just way too much work when trying to get him undressed quickly for the potty.

Good luck!

ncat
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
We did a lot of training with DD still in diapers and moved her to pullups because it was easier to get her reassembled. I took her to the potty when I went, after meals, and when she was squatting and obviously pooping.

It was convienient and easy, except that it made shopping difficult because every time I'd get the cart full at Target or the grocery store, she'd ask to make a potty run and our cart would disappear.

BeachBum
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Convenient? No. HAHAHA. But I'm so, so glad we did it. My guy was out of diapers by his second birthday. We started at 22 months I think.
It was hard that he couldn't give much notice in the beginning, I had to carry a little potty with me etc. But unlike my friends who trained later, I didn't have defiance issues, or just general I'm not going to do it because mom wants me to issues.
I will definitely be working with my other kids to train them as soon as I can.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
if it's going to take several months at this age, why not wait several months and start then?

Or wait until he is ready and just do it in one day.

I never really "potty trained" my kids, I just waited until they were old enough to learn it on their own. Much less stressful. I don't remember how old my son was (that was 18 years ago!) but my daughter trained herself at 2 years and 9 months.

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I know it was convenient to train late. :) I had no problems with diapers and my ped had said 4yo for boys was still normal. Ds pt'ed in one day, day and night. It was so easy that I plan to do things that way with ds2 unless he shows interest. I'll probably give it some half hearted attention around 2-2.5 (books, offer to let him sit on the potty...) and maybe even do a day long trial to see how he responds. But, I'm in the waiting camp. Keep us posted on your experience though! Maybe you'll inspire me to try something different. :)

Beth

DrSally
06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I know it was convenient to train late. :) I had no problems with diapers and my ped had said 4yo for boys was still normal. Ds pt'ed in one day, day and night. It was so easy that I plan to do things that way with ds2 unless he shows interest. I'll probably give it some half hearted attention around 2-2.5 (books, offer to let him sit on the potty...) and maybe even do a day long trial to see how he responds. But, I'm in the waiting camp. Keep us posted on your experience though! Maybe you'll inspire me to try something different. :)

Beth

:yeahthat:

jren
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I started introducing the potty to DD at 19 months. But no pushing. When she was ready (so she said) at 21 months we started actually taking her to the potty, wearing cloth training pants, etc. She was good around 2 with an occasional accident, and no accidents day or night around 2 1/2.

My sister waited to even introduce anything to her DD until closer to 3, even though she showed all the signs. It was a lot more difficult for her she was trying to PT right during her DD's terrible 2s. I think it would be easier to do before 2 or after 3, depending on how easy going your DC is.

Not sure what we'll do with DS. I have no problems trying it and going back to diapers if they're not ready. We went back and forth with DD and she did fine, not confusing. Sometimes she just didn't want to, and then one day she decided she was done with diapers for good.

eidean
06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I've gotten DS to poop in the toilet a handful of times over the last few weeks, and he's only 7 months. Of course, I fully realize that at this age, I'm the one who's potty trained (when he has gas and I seem him straining I rush him to the toilet) but I'm fairly certain that being there every time will eventually rub off. Peeing I'm sure will take a lot more time since I haven't seen him make any cues on that front. I'll be perfectly happy to be rid of diapers as soon as I'm able to do it! :D

citymama
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't know if I would use the word "convenient" as PTing is never convenient, no matter when! But I am so glad we PTed "early" at right around 2. It was right for us - it is very important to think of parent readiness as well as kid readiness. The ages of 22-26 months are supposed to be peak potty readiness for many kids (no idea what the age range is for parents ;)). I think your kid has to be able to communicate and get around pretty well - or it helps, anyway, that they can talk and make their way to the nearest potty. Esp. where poop is concerned, it is just so much easier to get them to go on the potty rather than in diapers. I am still a little taken aback by 3 or 4 yr olds pooping in diapers (not in a judgemental way, because I absolutely know that some kids - and parents - are just not ready earlier, but more like, "wow, it's so much better now that I don't have to clean that anymore!"). A new headache in your life will be the quest for toilets everywhere you go, so you win some, you lose some!

AnnieW625
06-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I bought DD the Bjorn toilet topper at 20 mos. old and she wanted nothing to do with it for almost a year. When that didn't work at 2/1/2 we bought her the most basic potty from Target and did use it a handful of times before reverting back to wanting diapers because that's what her friends at daycare were doing (she's a good six mos. older than her other buddies). Finally at 3 years and 3 weeks she finally got the hang of it. Honestly I thought she would've been trained a whole lot earlier, but she wasn't ready.

I do have a friend who started training her daughter at 17 mos. old and really she was just training herself, but it did end up working well for them. Only you really know what will work for your child. Good luck!

lefarrell
06-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Here is an article my husband sent me regarding potty training. It didn't have a link, so I'm just pasting it below. I've had potties since day 1 and have been doing very part-time EC. At 13 months DS poops in his potty (when I notice and take him), and has started to show signs that he understands this is what the potty is for. If I take him post gas but pre-grunting, he will start pushing when he is on the potty. I also recently started showing him his poops, with lots of praise, so now he looks to see if anything is there when he gets up, even if we just try for a pee and nothing happens, so I plan to try PT at 18 months. The article seems like some practical advice.

Enjoy!

John Rosemond: Matter-of-fact attitude is key to potty-training

Two weeks ago, I addressed what has become the Number One Toilet Training Problem in America: Children who refuse to use the toilet for bowel movements.

In almost every case, these kids' parents missed the boat when it came to training, meaning they didn't start until well after their kids' second birthdays. In that column, I summarized a corrective program that has proven successful for lots of frustrated parents.

"So," writes a reader, "you claim it's easier to toilet train a child under age two, but you failed to tell us how to do it."

No, I didn't fail. I postponed. Since prevention is the better part of cure, let's now take up the issue of how to toilet train a child between 18 and 24 months, which history confirms is the ideal window of opportunity.

First, your attitude is the most important ingredient in this toilet-training recipe. A technique is useful to a point, but without the right attitude (and this applies to any disciplinary effort), no technique will produce lasting results.

Approach toilet training with the same casual, matter-of-fact attitude with which you approached teaching your child to eat with a spoon. They are, after all, both self-help skills. Despite psychobabble to the contrary, neither is fraught with apocalyptic psychological ramifications.

When spoon-training your child, you encouraged without being silly, conveyed a clear expectation, and tolerated the temporary mess. If you can muster that same attitude with regard to potty training, you're half-way there.

Second, put a potty or two in that area or those areas of the home where your toddler spends most of his time. Keep it in the bathroom and you inadvertently invoke the Out of Sight, Out of Mind Principle.

If the layout of your house and your child's range of movement require it, put out two potties. They should be simple contraptions, not ones that do silly, superfluous things like play Barney songs when sat upon.

Third, set aside a week during which you can spend most of your time at home. Your ability to maintain a calm focus during this teaching time will help your toddler remember what you are expecting of him.

Fourth, if you're working with a girl, she should spend her day naked from the waist down. Don't even use diapers for naps. Dress a boy in nothing but the thinnest cotton underwear you can find.

The point, in either case, is for the "mess" to travel unimpeded down the child's legs, which children do not like. Just take a deep breath and clean it up.

Fifth, as soon as your child wakes up in the morning, take him or her to the potty. When he/she is seated, walk away, saying, "Call me when you've done something, and I'll clean you up." Do not hover or otherwise act nervous.

If your child refuses to sit, so be it. Make this into a power struggle and you're done for.

Sixth, whether or not your child produces at the first sitting of the day, set a timer to ring every 60 minutes or so (different kids, different intervals). Call it the "potty bell." When it rings, simply announce that it's time to sit on the potty. Remember, don't hang around acting like a high school girl waiting for her prom date.

Seventh, clean up messes without drama. Nonetheless, don't tell your child that making a mess is OK. It's not! When he/she has an accident, tell him, "Make sure you sit on the potty next time." Be firm and resolute but don't be angry.

Eighth, respond to successes positively but not overly enthusiastically. Do not, under any circumstances, give rewards or use them as enticements.

Last, when the process is complete, hire a carpet cleaner to erase the evidence. The typical cost of said removal is why I call this method "Naked and $75."

http://www.rosemond.com

peachey
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
my sons montessori teacher just recommended the book Diaper Free Before 3 and to start sitting him on the potty now (he's 13 months) since he likes to come in the bathroom with us. I'll get the book and see what it says but I'm not pushing it until closer to his 2nd birthday. I'd like for him to be out of diapers by then as we have #2 coming in January and that would be one less package of diapers I'd have to buy!!!!

american_mama
06-20-2009, 03:54 AM
I think that when your child begins potty training, it's inconvenient at first at almost any age. It's a change to your routine and you have to plan for potty breaks and unexpected potty breaks and a child who cannot hold it and even the possible public mess. (Meat aisle of the grocery store anyone?) But unless your child learns perfectly and completely and with great holiding ability in one day, I think the adjustment is inevitable. You figure out a new routine, the one that you have, after all, been waiting for and the one which will last the rest of your child's life, and soon diaper-free is infinitely easier than diapers.

They are both convenient and both inconvenient. Potty train at the time that you think it will work for your child, even if that is earlier than you expected, and roll with the temporary inconveniences.