PDA

View Full Version : Help...I can't decide which carrier!!!

drako
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I am undecided on which carrier to purchase for my 4.5 month old daughter. I have a baby bjorn that she doesn't really like. I also have a sleepy wrap which she isn't too wild about either. I have tried a hotslings that neither of us liked! She seems to like mommy's arms the best but then I can't get anything done and my back is killing me.

I have been researching the Ergo, Beco, and Pikkolo. I really can't decide between the three. Are there any others that I am missing that are similar to the three? I don't want to spend more money on a carrier that she won't like. I also prefer something that is easy on and off. That is the one draw back of the sleepy wrap. I do like the way the sleepy wrap distributes her weight off the shoulders. I have read other posts on this board which has only confused me more.

What carriers do you like and why do you like them? I would also like to hear if any of you had a baby that didn't like it at first but came to like them.

ang79
06-13-2009, 03:06 PM
For my first DD I used a stretchy wrap and ring sling, but I didn't carry her as much as I'm carrying second DD. For DD two I have been using my mei tais since she was a week old. Comfy, they hold her securely, and I can wear them for longer periods of time. I have a Babyhawk and CatBird Baby. At first I was a bit intimidated by the long straps but once you get the hang of it they go on pretty quickly. I also use a Slinglings pouch for quick trips (in the cradle hold as an infant and in a hip hold now that she is almost 7 months).

I also have an Action Baby Carrier SCC that I have been using a lot lately, now that she is bigger. She's still too tiny for me to do a back carry with that, so I use the mei tai if I want to carry her on my back. But its very comfy to wear her on my front and is lightweight in the warmer weather. I've been using that since she was about 5 months. Its quick and easy to put on and has padded straps and waist.

Check out thebabywearer.com for pros and cons of the carriers you mentioned. Unfortunately I think its trial and error with each baby as to which carrier they will like. I had the whole gamut for DD2 (pouches, ring slings, wraps, mei tais, and the SCC) and have narrowed it down to two mei tais, the SCC, a water pouch, and a cotton pouch. Though I probably should sell one of the mei tais, but they are both so pretty!

DebbieJ
06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I like different carriers for different reasons, ages, and carries.

Probably my all around fav with DS was a ZoloWear ring sling.

For this babe, I'm lusting after a Beco.

seedoubleyou
06-13-2009, 07:41 PM
My baby and I both LOVE the adjustable fleece pouch by kangarookorner.com it's so easy to use just insert baby and ready to go. I too have a cotton sling from another company and a baby bjorn.

When you say your baby dislikes the bjorn what do you mean? MOST babies will fuss in carriers for like the first 10 or 20 times (unless they're super angelic and super accommodating) for like 5 minutes each. This does not mean they dislike it forever. Try keeping them in there for like 15 minutes straight if they are still fussing try another time.

I dislike the cotton sling because I don't like having to keep adjusting it every single time and loosening it after every use. I don't mind the Bjorn but baby feels insecure in it with all his limbs flailing. He will fuss a while then claw frantically for a grip on me as if he'd fall out. He won't fall out it's all snug but he doesn't feel that way.

vahnessuh
06-14-2009, 12:15 AM
I love the Pikkolo. I love that it's so versatile (front facing in, facing out, hip and back)... that no matter who wears it, whatever their size, you can customize the Pikkolo's fit. I love that it carries the baby higher (Ergo carries low... if you look at the baby, it looks like their hanging onto you).

I find it very easy to put on or off... although some people tend to get confused in the beginning.

My daughter didn't like being carried in a carrier at first... but then I put her facing out. She tends to enjoy that, being able to see everything that's going on and feeling like she's a part of the happening (I guess coz she's everybody's height). After awhile, I put her facing in and she's okay with it from then on.

KarenLud
06-14-2009, 12:27 AM
I agree with a PP that said that it may just depend on the baby's likes so it ends up being a lot of trial and error. We started with the ergo which DS really likes even as an infant. But I felt like it was a little hot for the summer which lead me though several other attempts (moby, ring sling which didn't work for us), Balboa Baby sling finally works for us. I wanted something quick I could just toss on. It doesn't have a deep pocket like some of the other slings (the snuggler I think which has cause some concern about babies being able to get enough oxygen).We also have a mai tei and it's just okay for us. Haven't spent much time using it yet. Good luck and I also second the idea of going to thebabywearer.com

krocodile
06-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Since it sounds like you're leaning to a ssc, I second the pikkolo. I had a beco first but found the pikkolo to be more comfortable for me and easier to put on (plus it does have more carrying options). My DD fussed a little the very first time we put it on but never since then and she did every time we used the beco. Although I know a lot of people love their becos and ergos!

I didn't have any places try any of them other than the ergo, so when I ordered the pikkolo I just made sure they had a good return policy (I also looked for free shipping and a special offering a free padded belt for when DD is bigger). I wasn't as smart when I ordered my beco but ended up selling it on craigslist for with very little money lost.

I like the pouch when she was younger but the one shoulder carry is uncomfortable now.

hobie
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
A really good way to try baby carriers, w/o the pressure to buy, is to go to a babywearing meeting near you. Go on thebabywearer.com to find one near you.