PDA

View Full Version : For those that make baby food

Zoey187
06-13-2009, 03:51 PM
What have you found to be the best way to store it? Currently I have it in freezer bags and don't like it at all. I make them in icecube trays and transfer to the bags, but the bags never last that long in the freezer before they start spliting or tearing due to multiple uses. Looking for something else, just don't know what. Any ideas?

Also on a side note, what veggies and fruits have you had the most luck with freezing? I am worried about making bananas every day but hear they don't freeze well if a big batch is done.

infomama
06-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Marshalls has some Pyrex that has plastic snap lock type lids. Those would be an option.
I made a lot of applesauce and sweet potatoes. I didn't mess with freezing bananas because they are so easy to mash with a fork right when you need one.

elliput
06-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I have good luck with Ziploc freezer bags.

Right now in the freezer I have- apples, pears, sweet potato, squash, green beans, peas and chicken. A bunch of peaches are on the counter ripening. Bananas and avocado I always mash up fresh.

Zoey187
06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I have good luck with Ziploc freezer bags.

Right now in the freezer I have- apples, pears, sweet potato, squash, green beans, peas and chicken. A bunch of peaches are on the counter ripening. Bananas and avocado I always mash up fresh.

Do you mind giving me some tips on how you make and freeze some of these foods? How do the apples, pears, green beans and peas do? How did you make the chicken and is it smooth by the time you are done. And yes I already use this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. I was just curious in terms of browning and how it looks after they are defrosted.

I am having a blast making my DS food but have only tired Sweet Potatos and squash. Just made him carrots and will try those tomorrow. I get nervous when I make new foods so any help or tips would be great!

JBaxter
06-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Apples --make applesauce for the whole family put some in the food processor and puree it a little put in small pyrex containers or empty jelly jars and freeze
( peel core and slice add a little water and cook till soft)

Pears same as apples only shorter time

Green beans -- Im lucky my mom and I can so I just take some out and put in the food mill before we eat them for dinner I dont pre freeze those
BUT for fresh rinse snap both ends break into 2 or 3 pieces cook till soft
puree put in containers and freeze

Peas -- I buy canned organic they are softer just put into the food mill

I bought a bunch of 6oz pyrex bowels at walmart I also reuse ANY jar ( jelly peanut butter etc)

Neatfreak
06-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I have some Kidco cube trays that have a lid that snaps on. They're good for small batches: http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_fh=kidco&kidco.submit.feedingproducts=1&kidco.step=2&kidco.bc=fd

cestkaren
06-14-2009, 04:41 PM
I freeze in ice cube trays and use ziploc freezer bags. I've had the same bags for over 2 months and they do not show any sign of giving up.

In the freezer, I have peas, carrots, squash, sweet potato, green beans, broccoli, summer squash, peaches, pear, and apple. I may be missing something. Squash and sweet potato are cooked in the oven and fork mashed then frozen. The other foods are cooked on the stovetop unitl very soft (usually with a bit of water added to them), then either put in the blender or our small food chopper and pureed until smooth or, now, just a bit chunky.

Carrots were a bit tricky for me at first, to get them smooth enough in the blender, I needed a large bunch of carrots or two smaller bunches and then add water to make the blender work better, as needed. With peas, I blend them and then push through a sieve to get the skins out. Doesn't take too much time and I use 2 10oz bags of frozen peas whenever I make them. Eventually, DS will get the skins...he's just not there yet.

Whenever DS gets banana, I just mash it up fresh. The extra banana, I either eat and try to get the kid to use to it as finger food. Same would go with avocado, if he would eat them.

BeccaB.
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree don't freeze the banana unless you have a ton of them that are about to go bad. It's too much of a pain to mess with. I have peas, bananas (turned brownish because DS is not old enough for me to add citrus juice to keep them yellow), pears and peaches blended together, and carrots.

I just started making DS's food. The carrots went terribly couldn't get them smooth enough. Guess I needed to cook them longer. Everything else was easy to do.