PDA

View Full Version : Babies 3 years apart - should I buy new pump parts or not?

wencit
06-14-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm due with my second child in a few weeks and am planning to use the same Ameda Purely Yours I purchased with DS (who turned 3 at the end of March). Do you think I should buy an all-new replacement parts kit (includes tubing, 2 silicone diaphragms, and 4 white valves)? I thought that one of the benefits of the Ameda was that it was a completely enclosed system, unlike the Medela, so there was no way milk could back up into the tubes and contaminate something.

On the other hand, it HAS been 3 years since the pump has been in use... I can't decide what to do!

Neatfreak
06-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Ameda has a BPA free kit available now, which may be reason you'd want to get new parts.

wencit
06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I did get new BPA-free breast flanges, and I plan to use the Playtex drop-in nursers with this baby, so no new BPA-free collection bottles needed, either. Just not sure if I should get new tubing and valves, from a sanitary standpoint.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-14-2009, 12:36 PM
the white valves should be replaced about once a month anyway (if you are pumping every day at work) so you will need those. They also deteriorate in storage over time if you had it in a hot attic.

the tubes and silicone parts should be fine.

edited to add that my kids are 6 years apart and I decided to get a whole new pump. Not because it had been so long, but because they are only meant to last for one baby and I pumped daily at work for 15 months and then my cousin used it for six months so I felt it might not be working as strongly. I didn't want to take a chance on affecting my supply especially since I am inducing lactation for an adopted baby. I kept my old pump and tried it out and it's just as strong as the new one! So I keep it at work so I don't have to carry it back and forth.

westgre
06-14-2009, 01:13 PM
My boys were two years apart and I got new tubing, valves, and connectors. Not necessarily for a sanitary issue, but didn't want to risk the possibility of older parts affecting my pumping ouput.

wencit
06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, ladies, your responses were very helpful. My old pump was only used daily at work for 4 months with DS, and I'm a SAHM now, so I don't anticipate using it all that much -- just for engorgement or to pump the occasional bottle. Since you don't seem to be worried about the sanitary issue, I guess I can save $20 and perhaps just buy a couple new valves.

Thanks again for your help!