PDA

View Full Version : What do you give 10mo old for breakfast?

AJP
06-14-2009, 09:17 AM
We are still just doing cereal (oatmeal, rice etc) with fruit. I have made scrambled egg yolk with cheese, but they can't eat enough of this or get it fast enough to fill them up! I have also done toast cut up small and let them munch on it between cereal, but they are slow and they get mad lol. What other breakfast foods do you do? They finger feed themselves, but like I said it takes them forever and they get frustrated.

JBaxter
06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
yogurt, real oatmeal (not the baby stuff) pancakes, banana muffins ... thatt is what Jack had last week lol he is 7.5 months

cestkaren
06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
My son gets whatever his new food introduction is, which includes meat and veges, and always rice cereal mixed with something (fruit, vege, whatever). I don't limit breakfast to just breakfast food, they don't know the difference.

lovebeingamom
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
yogurt, real oatmeal (not the baby stuff) pancakes, banana muffins ... thatt is what Jack had last week lol he is 7.5 months

With the real oatmeal (not the baby stuff) - do you use a blender/food processor to make it into a powder first or just prepare as normal and feed?

JBaxter
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes I grind it in the food processor I do a bunch and cook about a 1/2 cup of dry to 2 cups of water. This weeks batch I peeled and copped a small apple and a hand full of raisins and cooked it all together and added a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of agavae He LOVES it. I keep a couple containers in the fridge and it also freezes well. It has texture & flavor. Im going to try some blueberry & mango next batch

I have organic thick rolled oats from my organic food co op.

ahrimie
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Around that time, I did a combo of "baby" foods and table foods. Feed them some yogurt, baby cereal, or whatever is easy for them. After a few bites, I leave out toast or some table foods and let her munch on those too. Inbetween bites, I'll spoon feed some more too. I don't really stick to "breakfast" foods either... we do rice and soup a lot (we're Korean) and I serve it to her whenever. I've done hamburger meat (that I've made) for breakfast too.

frugal mom
06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
My 12 m.o. really likes french toast, cut up into finger food size. I use wheat bread, and at least she gets protein from the eggs. We just started scrambled eggs with a little cheese. Cut up bannana is a staple too.

lovebeingamom
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Yes I grind it in the food processor I do a bunch and cook about a 1/2 cup of dry to 2 cups of water. This weeks batch I peeled and copped a small apple and a hand full of raisins and cooked it all together and added a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of agavae He LOVES it. I keep a couple containers in the fridge and it also freezes well. It has texture & flavor. Im going to try some blueberry & mango next batch

I have organic thick rolled oats from my organic food co op.

Do tell please .... 1/2 cup dried, ground oatmeal cooked with 2 cups water???? Do you add the additional items while cooking or right after???? What is agavae????

JBaxter
06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
yes toss it all in together then cook. The finely chopped apples cook semi soft. I peel core and slice then toss them in the mini chopper.

Chop oats in mini food processor
chop 1 smalll peeled apple mini chopper
hand full of raisins in mini chopper becomes almost pastey looking

put everything in a pan w/ 2 cups of water ( +/- depending how how thing you want it)

while cooking add a dash of cinnamon & a little agave ( if you want)

cooking time... 5 ish minutes or till it looks like oatmeal

Its alot like the apple cinnamon oatmeal earth best 3rd foods Mine likes the soft texture. Thats where I created the recipe from He ate it one day and I was like.... I can make that!!

Its actually very good Ive eaten it myself

lovebeingamom
06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much Jeana fo rthe recipe, I think I will give this a try with my DS.

Do you think I could use QUICK-cooking oats, or does it need to be just plain ROLLED oats?

JBaxter
06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
either will work

lovebeingamom
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
OK ... last question (I think)

How much does the recipe you provided serve? Do you serve it to your DS every day until you make a new batch and flavor?

Any other fab meal ideas similar to this one? Anything with rice? Veggies?

JBaxter
06-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I keep about 3 small ( 6oz size ) pyrex cups full and stick the rest in the freezer ( I actually make double what I posted ) SO I cant give you a exact abount 5 or 6 ish maybe

Sorry I dont usually cook w/ recipes I just wing it.

AJP
06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!