PDA

View Full Version : Tab-top curtains for the closet?

sarahsthreads
06-15-2009, 12:18 AM
OK, so I took down the sliding closet doors in both girls' closets last summer, and tried to put up some curtains on a pressure rod. Which looks beautiful and works perfectly...as long as you don't want to slide them open or shut! I actually wound up taking DD1's down and leaving the closet open because half of her toys are stored in there and she was really frustrated. But now I'd like to put them back up, because I want to hide the clutter!

They're tab-top curtains, and they can't slide over the bump in the adjustable curtain rod. Do you think hand sewing a plastic ring into each tab might work, so that the ring would be sliding over the rod instead of the fabric tab? Or should I just donate these curtains (they were bought on clearance, so not a big $$ loss, but they're awfully cute) and replace them with...what?

Thanks!
Sarah :)

C99
06-15-2009, 01:20 AM
What about hard-mounting a regular curtain rod to the closet?

sarahsthreads
06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
What about hard-mounting a regular curtain rod to the closet?

There's not really enough clearance to get a drill in there. And the problem is really the bump where it goes from the thinner rod to the thicker rod, but even regular curtain rods have those. The pressure rod works quite well for holding the curtains up, just not for moving them.

We have tab-top curtains in other areas of the house, but their on those decorative rods that are a fixed length and never get slid aside anyway.

justincase
06-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I did this in our playroom, which is really a bedroom and has that kind of closet. I used a really long "cafe sash rod" that has a *tiny* bump. DS can slide the curtains with no problem. If you really can't get a drill or screwdriver in there to hang up the hardware, though, I've also seen this done with an adjustable shower curtain rod, which IIRC has a smaller/no bump as well because you're meant to be sliding the shower curtain all the time. You just have to make sure it adjusts long enough to fit your closet opening. If you end up trying the plastic rings (which seems like it should work), can you just sew a couple and then try having her pull on it to see if it works better? I know I'd be irritated if I sewed them all and then it didn't work! :) Or, they sell those curtain rings that clip on the top of that panel -- that might slide better than the tabs and be easier than sewing the rings. GL!

JTsMom
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I wonder if you could eliminate the bump with one of those shower rod cover things. I don't know if they even still make them, but I think they are designed so you can change the color- kwim? It's just a plasitc thing that slips on over it. I'm sure you could cut it to size.

ETA: Like this: http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=641852&click=2744

sarahsthreads
06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
If you end up trying the plastic rings (which seems like it should work), can you just sew a couple and then try having her pull on it to see if it works better? I know I'd be irritated if I sewed them all and then it didn't work! :) Or, they sell those curtain rings that clip on the top of that panel -- that might slide better than the tabs and be easier than sewing the rings. GL!

Oh, I like the idea of the clip-on curtain rings - I could just let the tabs fall to the back of the curtain, it's not like they're seen anyway since the rod is inside the closet above the doorway. Because sewing on 32 rings (between the two closets) doesn't sound like a lot of fun...

Thanks!

sarahsthreads
06-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I wonder if you could eliminate the bump with one of those shower rod cover things. I don't know if they even still make them, but I think they are designed so you can change the color- kwim? It's just a plasitc thing that slips on over it. I'm sure you could cut it to size.

ETA: Like this: http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=641852&click=2744

I think I'm going to try the clip-on rings for the closets, but I am *so* getting this to go over my nasty old shower curtain rod!

Thanks!

jerigirl
06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemID=159373f&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=curtain+rings&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|searchdepartment&Search1Prod=True

Here is a link to the clip on curtain rings

JTsMom
06-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I think I'm going to try the clip-on rings for the closets, but I am *so* getting this to go over my nasty old shower curtain rod!

Thanks!

Oh good, glad it helped with something. :) I wonder if you're going to have the same issue with the clip on rings though? The reason I ask is b/c my shower curtain rod has a bump like you are describing and our rings constantly catch on it. Just something to think about before you spend more $. I guess you could always try them and return them if that's the case though.