PDA

View Full Version : Non-dairy fat/protein ideas needed

s_gosney
06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
I need to figure out a variety of ways to get some more fat and protein into ds's diet. He reacted to yogurt so we are avoiding dairy and I'm not giving him eggs until we see the allergist this week. He's 12 mos and has been slow to pick up on eating. He still struggles with gagging on lots of things, but can handle it usually in really small bites. Any ideas are welcome, but finger foods would be especially helpful.
One specific question, any ideas on how to bind meatballs without egg?

Thanks!

alirebco
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Avocado is good for fat and you can try beans for protein. We gave DS black beans starting around 10 months and he still loves them. They're a great finger food. We're dairy free here too so I guess you could use olive oil or even avocado oil in other foods to help add fats. Are you particularly concerned b/c of weight issues or just b/c he has a low fat and low protein diet at the moment?

s_gosney
06-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Avocado is good for fat and you can try beans for protein. We gave DS black beans starting around 10 months and he still loves them. They're a great finger food. We're dairy free here too so I guess you could use olive oil or even avocado oil in other foods to help add fats. Are you particularly concerned b/c of weight issues or just b/c he has a low fat and low protein diet at the moment?

I meant to say in the OP that he was not fond of avocado, although maybe he would like it more if it wasn't just chunks of it...maybe I could smear it on some crackers or something? Beans are a good idea. We don't eat a lot of beans normally so I always forget about them.

And no, he def does not have weight issues as he's quite the chunk. I'm just concerned about it more now b/c he started daycare and is away from me several hours each day, so he's not getting as many calories from breastmilk and he's still refusing the soy milk. I still need to try rice milk + canola oil, but that just sounds really gross.

Thanks for the ideas!

urquie
06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
here's a few things dd2 (11 months) eats...

hummus - sometimes i'll dip tiny pieces of cooked veggies in it, carrots are easiest, or i spoon feed it to her. when she's a little older i'll, spread it on crackers or toast
edamame - we prefer the frozen, uncooked kind in the pod, and boil it for about 7-8 minutes
flax oil - we stir it in with oatmeal and applesauce for breakfast
chicken - cut into tiny pieces

i'll be watching this thread!