PDA

View Full Version : Petty, I kow.....fevers suck

HIU8
06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Last wednesday a little girl at daycare had a fever and went home. I'm told about it when I pick up DD. No one at daycare gets sick on thursday and the little girl is back. Friday DD is home with me b/c she doesn't go to d/c on Fridays. She wakes up with a small fever of 100. She has 100 all day long and on Saturday morning it disappears and never returns. Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. DS has a fever of 103.9 and is fighting us trying to give him motrin to get it down. He is a mess and can barely function (just lays on the couch--would not rest in his room). We finally got him to understand that he needs to take the motrin to get the fever down. This morning he is at 99.0. I hope hope hope this is a 24 hour thing with DS also. He is a LOUSY patient.

Twoboos
06-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I am totally with you!! DD1 had a fever for about 5 days. And when she was done, it was DD2's turn. Both would spike in the middle of the night, so I've up from about 12-2 each night with them.

I am tired of The Fever Virus, being trapped inside (weather here is sucky so we can't even play outside) and the weather not acting like almost summer here!!

Hope your DS is better soon and DD stays well!

frgsnlzrds
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Poor little guy. I hope he feels better. Getting kids to take medicine is the worst. FWIW, with my oldest, I ground up the medicine and mixed it with a spoonful of pudding. It took him years to figure this out. (I don't normally like to "trick" my kids, but it took me long enough too, to realize that with medicine the path of least resistance is the best.) Good luck.

HIU8
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
DS won't take the liquid medicine. We have not gotten to the pills/grinding up etc.. yet. We had to threaten to take DS to the hospital (actually got him ready to go) and he lost 3 of his favorite toys. That is the only way we got him to take the meds. We have tried jelly beans or m n m's, but they don't work for him (he hates most candy type things). Today DH and I spoke very frankly to DS (who is the most stubborn person I have every met). He is now taking the meds without much fuss but let us know he doesn't like to do so.

ha98ed14
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I hear you and feel petty about it all the same. 3 weeks ago DH's niece planted a kiss on DD. Would have been cute if she wasn't sick. Well, DD recovered in 3 days, DH in a week and I am still here hacking away... I was not irritated with DN as much as with SIL... your kids go kissing other kids when they are sick why?

mommylamb
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised the little girl was able to come back on Thursday. My daycare has a 24 hour policy, in that they must be fever free for 24 hours before allowed back.

HIU8
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Yup, my thoughts exactly, but I said nothing. It's an in-home daycare situation and the lady has 3 small children of her own that she watches along with DD and two other little girls (this is a licensed in-home daycare). She is usually a stickler for the 24 hour fever free thing. I have a feeling the little girl who was out had a fever under 100.2 (which is what most peds around here consider a fever and even our preschool goes by). As it was, DD never got a fever over 100.0 (I'm glad it was a non-daycare day and over the weekend). DS's fever has been the highest it has ever been and I was kind of scared last night (103.9 is really very high).

mommylamb
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
That would explain it. I don't even count it as a fever unless is's 100.4 (that's what my ped says anyway). Our 24 hour rule at daycare (also a home daycare) is for 100.4 and up.