PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing between these 3 pumps

mamainflorida
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,
My husband's company has an amazing corporate lactation program and they're giving us the chance to get an electric pump for minimal co-pay (compared to the actual price). I don't know which to get... can anyone help me understand the difference based on your experience? All of the reviews online are similar!

We'd rather pay the $90 one, but only if it's just as good or close enough to the others. They're all Medela, by the way.

Thanks!

Pump in Style Advanced Breaskpump in either black shoulder bag or back pack
Copay: $90

Advanced METRO Breastpump
Copay: $115

Advanced Freestyle
Copay: $160

pb&j
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
The first two are the same - I think the Metro just comes with a different bag. Supposedly more fashionable, but really, it's a pump bag, come on.

I have the PISA and like it, but if I could get the Freestyle for $160, I would!! They're normally ~$375 MSRP, though you can find them for ~$300. The Freestyle is the latest and greatest - comes with all sorts of hands free gizmos, and best of all, is powered by rechargeable battery, so you don't need to find an electrical outlet when you pump!!! It's smaller and lighter than the PISA, and can memorize your settings.

Snow mom
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Ry gave you a good summary. I have a PISA (I think it's the shoulder bag) but wish I had sprung for the freestyle. I have to have it at home to pump in the morning and at work during the day and that sucker is heavy to carry back and forth with all my other work stuff. If you are planning on WOTH I'd recommend getting the freestyle. Otherwise the PISA should be fine.

KarenLud
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I have the PISA too (backpack) and like it. It serves it's purpose. But like a PP said if I could get the handsfree one for $160 I would. Being handsfree would make life so much easier. But the PISA is good too. Yay for those good prices!! :cheerleader1:

mamainflorida
06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Thank you all!

Sorry for being so clueless about all of this, but aren't they all hands free in that they're not manual pumps? What makes the freestyle handsfree but not the PISA?

Thanks for your help!

happymom
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
For the regular pumps, theres nothing keeping the pump horns on your breasts, so you kinda have to hold the pump horns against your breast while pumping (after a while you get good at holding both horns with one hand so you sorta have one free hand). The free style has something that attaches the horns to your nursing bra so they stay in place while pumping and you don't have to use your hands to hold them. Just by the way, there have been posts here about making your reg pump into a hands free one using ponytail holders or something like that to attach it to your bra. HTH!

BayGirl2
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
A little late, but wanted to chime in. I have a newborn and ended up pumping exclusively (he doesn't like latching on) so I've been using my pump sooner and more than expected. I originally wanted the PISA but changed my mind and bought the Freestyle and I'm so glad. Here's why:

- The hands-free option works really well. The horns clip to a Medela nursing bra (there are adaptors for other bra brands too) so you can multi-task. You can also clip the pump to your waist/pocket and be mobile. Such a valuable feature when you have a baby and too much to do!. (I know I look stupid walking around the house like that, but who cares at this point) I can't imagine having to hold the horns up every time.

- The pump itself is so much smaller than the PISA - probably 1/5th the size. It makes it easy to move around the house with me and carry to work (in the future).

- The battery is rechargeable and lasts for a few days, even using it ~8x/day. Its like charging my cell phone, I barely have to remember it, and have plenty of warning when I need to charge again before the next pump. I think it charges fast too, I usually only have 2-3 hours between uses.

- It has multiple speeds and can be programmed. I used a hospital pump and feel like the power is about the same, I never go to the highest setting. I think this is comparable to the PISA, but I don't the PISA can be custom programmed.

I got mine for $285 IRC from www.addalittlelove.com/, so $160 is a great deal.