PDA

View Full Version : What is hemp milk?

HIU8
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
DD drinks rice milk. After the post about rice milk containing arsenic I'm starting to do more research. DD cannot drink soy, regular milk, lactose reduced milk etc... We have not tried almond milk (is there anything bad in that?). I'm now curious about hemp milk? anyone know about it?

jren
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I want to know, too! Where to find it? Will my grocery story carry it, b/c the health food store is just too far away.

I would worry with almond about nut allergies since we're already dealing with milk allergies.

alirebco
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
We use it in our house and we love it! It tastes great, not like soy but a nice creamy kind of nutty taste. It's from the hemp seed and it has good omega 3s and 6s in there. We exclusively get the Living Harvest brand. We tried one other brand and it did not taste that good. We get the original, vanilla, and chocolate. We get it at Whole Foods and I've seen it at other health food stores. I guess they're changing the brand to Tempt, but it's the same thing.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ExecMacro/livingharvest/home.d2w/report

MamaMolly
06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
We tried it and to be honest I was a little relieved that DD didn't like it because the cost was just too much for us (ok, to be perfectly honest too much for DH) Something like $5-$6 per box. But it is one of the healthiest options out there. And I've also read on KWFA that the taste varies greatly from brand to brand.

There was also a long discussion about if it is made on shared lines with dairy or soy, so you might want to do your research on that before investing too much $$ in it.

alirebco
06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
We tried it and to be honest I was a little relieved that DD didn't like it because the cost was just too much for us (ok, to be perfectly honest too much for DH) Something like $5-$6 per box. But it is one of the healthiest options out there. And I've also read on KWFA that the taste varies greatly from brand to brand.

There was also a long discussion about if it is made on shared lines with dairy or soy, so you might want to do your research on that before investing too much $$ in it.

We pay $4 a box, but it was on sale last week for $3 a box and we stocked up! It's not too bad imo. The Living Harvest/Tempt brand is the best tasting.