PDA

View Full Version : I am not loving my double snap-n-go

mikeys_mom
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I know that everyone raves about how you can't survive geeting out with twins without the double SNG, but I am just really not liking the stroller.

Maybe it's a lifestyle thing - I have a FT nanny, so I don't usually have to take the babies out with me on errands. I also live within walking distance to the mall and grocery store, so if I am taking the babies I will use my BJCSD because I find it easier to walk than to heave carseats in and out of the car and deal with the double SNG.

I just find the stroller so large, cumbersome and just difficult to manouver. I would never even consider using it for a walk around the neighbourhood. On the weekends when we are out as a family at the zoo, the farm, the amusement park, etc... I will always transfer the babies into my BJCSD or my Mac TT. Those are just so much easier to push and the babies seem more comfortable than in the carseats.

I agree that for the times that I did need to go in and out of the car, especially when they were really little, it was certainly much more convenient. I guess that I just figured I would get more use out of it. Now I am glad I only paid $40 for it used (It retails for $200 cdn new here).

Am I missing something about this stroller?

fivi2
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree that it is not as nice as the BJCSD. But back when I bought the BJCSD, they said not to put kids younger than 6 months in it (maybe that has changed?) I also wasn't really taking it to the zoo or off-road when they were young.

The snap and go was my car stroller for about the first year. I loved it for the convenience of being able to put the car seats in without waking sleeping babies (mall, dr office, target, etc). Once they were old enough to use the BJ, I used that for walks, trips to zoo, etc.

BeachBum
06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
No, I think you are totally right. It is cumbersome and hard to steer and your lifestyle makes it not vital for you.
But for me, I had to have it. Everyday I pick my 3 yr old up at pre-school. The babies are too heavy to carry in their seats. I have to put them in the stroller. If I had to load or unload them into stroller seats it would take forever! If I have to go to the post office, or grab something at the grocery store, or even at wal-mart I will typically use the SNG.
I don't have a nanny, so I have to take the kiddos with me everywhere. I often leave them in their seats just to save time. But for long outings I definitely swap them into a "real" stroller for their comfort and for my ease of steering.

AJP
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I totally agree with you!!! It is definitely a lifestyle thing. I never used it at the mall, walking around town or the city, the boardwalk, outlet shopping etc. I took the time all winter to transfer my girls into the BJ or Valco for these kinds of trips. However, to be able to be on my own and get groceries, Target, BRU, drugstore etc done...I'd have been lost without it. I don't live walking distance to any of these places and I am used to doing quick errands in between groceries etc. There is no way I'd be able to get in & out of the car more than once a day without that cumbersome DSnG. While it was like pushing (& steering !) a schoolbus it was convenient for the quick trips. I can't imagine having to wake them up and move them into a stroller for a 10 minute trip into CVS! I can't wait to sell mine!

twowhat?
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I use mine exactly the same way BeachBum does, and my girls are 9 months old. Yes, it's hard to steer but for quick trips to grocery/Target/Walmart and even doctor's appointments, it's great because it's so quick. Plus my girls hate being strapped into anything, so the fewer strapping-ins to anything that I have to do, the better!

But for everything else, we use our BJCMD. So, in your situation I could see how the DSNG isn't the best.

TwinFoxes
06-16-2009, 08:45 AM
We lived in a car town (LA), so the DSnG was great for us. If they were asleep in their car seats we could just carry them into the house without waking them up. Plus because the girls were so tiny we weren't able to use a real stroller until they were about 9 months old. And clearly this doesn't apply to all, or even most people, but one of our girls was on oxygen and a monitor for 2 1/2 months at home, so that big basket under the DSnG was a lifesaver. But I definitely looooove my BJCMD, and if I were in your situation (not having to use a car) I don't think I'd bother with the DSnG either.

Like a PP, I thought BJ recommends their strollers for 6 months plus.

mikeys_mom
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the input. Glad to see I am not the only one to think that the double SNG is a beast of a stroller.

I don't know what BJ's recommended age for using the stroller is now. Mine is the older 2007 City Series version that I bought when DD was born. At the time I called BJ and they told me it was fine to use for an infant with an insert. We use the JJ Cole body support insert and it has worked well for both DD and now the twins.

mikeys_mom
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I also wasn't really taking it to the zoo or off-road when they were young.

With a very active 4.5 year old and 2 year old, now that summer is here after a long winter of being cooped up indoors, we really don't have much choice these days but to get out of the house. We got tired of them asking every Sunday when we can start going on outings. :bouncy:

The twins are pretty mellow babies and most places we go have good nursing facilites, so it works for us.

fivi2
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
With a very active 4.5 year old and 2 year old, now that summer is here after a long winter of being cooped up indoors, we really don't have much choice these days but to get out of the house. We got tired of them asking every Sunday when we can start going on outings. :bouncy:

The twins are pretty mellow babies and most places we go have good nursing facilites, so it works for us.

It definitely sounds like you are more active than we were! I had wintertime preemies, (my only dc) so we were home a lot in the beginning! I can see how the snap and go doesn't work with your lifestyle :)

gatorsmom
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I use mine the same way Beach Bum does too. I agree that it does not steer well. Otoh, it has a HUGE basket underneath, so if I have to take the twins to Target or grocery shopping I totally make use of that basket. Also, since it is so heavy, I can hang a shopping basket off the front of the stroller and not worry about it tipping the stroller over. Not sure what I will do when they outgrow this stroller which they are very close to doing.

WatchingThemGrow
06-21-2009, 04:10 AM
The newer BJ City models are now good from birth. We're using them for our newborn again. We used a snuzzler for DS1, but I haven't pulled it out of the closet yet and DS2 has been fine for almost 2 weeks laying flat in the BJCED or the BJCMD. He's yet to use the Graco adapter for the Bugaboo b/c he's always riding next to DS1.

Kindra178
06-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I hated that thing. I used the double Bob the second we could afford it!

SammyeGail
06-28-2009, 01:07 AM
We lived in a car city, my boys were born in Nov., so being able to to bundle them up and keep them that way was a huge plus. Not that we went out alot the first 2-3 months, but to the dr. and an occasional trip to the mall (5 minute drive away) to get out of the house.

They outgrew their carseats at 7-8 months so it was done. I pre-order it really early in black, paid $89 and sold it at the twin consignment sale for $75. It was gone within the first hour, black was rare then.

I could totally see its not-so-usefulness if you were in a big city and things were within walking distance, I can't imagine trying to push that thing around at a zoo!!