PDA

View Full Version : Q. about spit-up babies

AmyZ
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
DS is a major spitter. Ped calls him a "happy spitter" - no reason to give meds, just lots of laundry for me.

He is almost 6 mo. old and we will be starting solids. Just wondering, for those of you with kids that spit-up a lot, did solids make it worse or better?

AJP
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Solids didn't make a difference for my "happy spitter". At around 4 months I changed formula to Similac Sensitive RS (reduced spitup) and that made a tremendous difference. Little by little she outgrew her spitting up and we changed back to the regular organic formula about 4 months later. The RS is a thicker formula and while it did help it didn't "cure" her...her body just had to outgrow it. You didn't mention if you BF or FF. If FF you may want to look into switching. My ped recommended waiting it out but I couldn't watch my baby drenched in her spitup 24/7...not to mention the NUMEROUS times I had to check on her at night. Mine wasn't reflux either so nothing really to treat. Good luck. I know what a major damper the major spitup can be! No pun intended!

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Both of my boys were happy spitters (both breastfed). They both almost magically outgrew it right at 6m. I think that was just the age where their little systems matured and were developed enough not to have spit up issues and not related to solids at all.

Beth

scmama
06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
My son is also a "happy spitter". He is half FF/ EBM. We are introducing solids and there's no change is how much he spits up. I'm hoping he'll outgrow it soon.

AmyZ
06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks ladies - I'm hoping 6 mo. will be the magic number for us too! :)

DS is exclusively breastfed.

cestkaren
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
My sons was a major spitter (BF, too), I often had to change tops 3 times in a day! Solid food made a big difference for him. The first time he tried a solid, he did seem to spit up a bit more but through the week of the each food introduction, he would spit up less and less. DS is almost 10 months and spit ups are very infrequent. Lots of luck.

JBaxter
06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I hope 6 months is your number too BUT the DS3 happily spit to 11months 3 weeks. My doc told me it can be "normal" up to a year old.

Solids made no difference except the color of what he spit up.