PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun...do you dress your twins alike?

TwinFoxes
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I know some moms are either very pro, or very anti dressing their twins alike. I tend to dress my girls in coordinating fashions, rather than identical. Same dress, different color, or a solid that coordinates with a print. I do have some identical outfits, mostly as gifts. I am happy to use those as well. I have notice if I dress them completely differently and take them out, it seems to throw people off. "But they're not dressed alike!" Uh, ok. Also, my DH rarely dresses them alike, or even coordinates them, which I have to admit looks a little weird, like they're clashing (like a dress on one, and jeans and a onesie on another.) So what do you all do?

BeachBum
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I have fraternal boys that look nothing alike. I like to dress them coordinating, but it is so expensive! So most of the time they are not dressed alike. But when we are going somewhere where I know we will see people etc I do dress them coordinating. To me it's cute and one of those "special" things about having twins. I have a few outfits that coordinate with my 3 yr old as well. :)

mikeys_mom
06-16-2009, 09:10 AM
I prefer coordinating, but sometimes dress them the same. They will probably end up being dressed mainly in coordinating stuff because I have so much stuff from DD and from my DNs that it would be silly to not use.

For special occasions I will probably cave and buy identical outfits for the twins and DD. I do think that identical outfits are really cute some of the time, but would be overkill to do it everyday.

My girls are fraternal, but they do look similar.

caheinz
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
My boys are identical, and have very few identifying marks -- and no permanent ones.

So, I aim for coordinating (eg, both stripes, both sleepers, etc), but the closest we've come to identical is same shirt (but then they had different pants).

We were gifted some identical pairs of sleepers and rompers, but we won't use them that way. In the haze of the first year of twin parenting, it's hard enough to tell them apart as it is...

fivi2
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
sometimes - more than I ever thought I would. My girls are identical and we have been given so many matching outfits. It started out as me dressing them in the matching outfits to take pics to send to the giver. Then they go through the laundry together and I found it easier to just grab one outfit and not worry about whether one looks cuter than the other lol. (I know that is silly). I also find it easier at crowded parks etc when they are dressed alike - kind of how classes often wear matching shirts on field trips - you can tell at a glance who belongs to you.

But when I buy clothes, I rarely buy matching. I will buy similar shirts, but in different colors. However, there are a few items that my girls both want to wear. If one gets to wear it, the other will freak out, so I do have matching ones of those items and they will wear together. As they have gotten older, I have started setting out a few outfits to choose from. Sometimes they pick matching ones and I don't fight it. For the most part, they are in similar but different (now. they wore more matching when younger).

twowhat?
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
My girls are fraternal and virtually all of our matching outfits have been gifts. I used to dress them the same all the time but I got sick of it. They are so different, and I wanted to be reminded of their individuality. So now, I dress them in coordinating outfits. The same dress in different colors, or different dresses where one color in one dress is picked up in a print on the other dress, etc. They are 9 months old now, and it is fun to show one baby 2 outfits in the morning and say "pick one!" She gets to wear whichever one she grabs first. The next day, the other baby gets her turn. I do dress them the same every now and then, like if we're going out. Because people just seem to love seeing that kind of thing:)

mom22
06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
We dress my girls the same every day, but that was not the plan going in. We just got so many matching outfits as gifts. Then we just thought it was so cute... And it is nice to just look and be able to pick out mine in a crowd. But, my girls are very identical and it does get a bit confusing. Only my DH and I can tell them apart. (And usually the nanny- but not always.)

Anyway, as soon as they want to pick their own clothes/ start to complain, I'll be glad to not let them match. But I think it's cute right now (they are only 14 months) and this way (like a pp said) its "fair".

gatorsmom
06-20-2009, 11:35 PM
My twins are boy/girl so no I don't. :hysterical: But I would match them in the pink and blue versions of the same outfit when they were newborns.

The funny thing is that I dress my older 2 boys alike very often. When I find clothes on sale, I buy the same shirt in 5T and 3T. I do this because Cha Cha usually wants to wear Gator's clothes so if he has the same shirt in his own size he doesn't throw a fit or raid Gator's closet. Also, it's just easier for planning outfits and it really is easier to find them when they are dressed alike.

So if I'm out and about with all 4 kids I am often asked if the older 2 are twins. I say "no, but those 2 babies are." It throws everyone off. :loveeyes:

mamaoftwins
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I try not to dress them alike. Once in awhile, they'll wear the same shirt for example, but different colors. People have a hard time telling them apart for some reason, so dressing them alike would only make it worse, I think!

maestramommy
06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I taught a set of twin girls one year. Since the school had uniforms it was devilishly hard for the other kids and teachers to tell them apart. I was told by other students one had green stripes on her shoes and the other had orange. :ROTFLMAO:Like I was going to spend the rest of the year looking at their shoes!

My mom is a twin and she and her sister used to dress alike all the time. I think they even switched places in school once, just for yuks.

HIU8
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
This thread is reminding me of what my mother used to do when my sister and I were kids. We are not twins. We are 22 months apart and used to look very very similar. My mother would dress us alike A LOT. We wore the same size clothes to boot. One year in summer camp we switched places for a day and NO ONE NOTICED (or they could have cared less). Now, the only thing similar about us is our curly hair. My sister looks NOTHING like me (in fact she is about 75 lbs heavier than me and has longer hair).