PDA

View Full Version : train/play table to double as our coffee table

deborah_r
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I am sick of looking at our cheap, ugly Imaginarium train table, which because of the small size of our apartment, double as our coffee table. Anyone seen anything that would be slightly better (preferably with drawers underneath) but maybe cheaper than PBK? Not really looking to spend $500, or whatever those cost at PBK.

Thanks!

JTsMom
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Have you checked out Kidkraft? The Costco set that comes out pretty much every year at Christmastime is decent looking and has trundles. Are you trying to find something that has a plain top without the design?

deborah_r
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, plain top without design. The one we have has bright green on one side, and a picture on the other side. I'm sure we could replace that with something, but I really hate the whole table.

I just noticed PBK has the tall activity table with storage carts on sale from $499 down to $299.99. Trying to decide. It only comes in white.

tny915
06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
The Land of Nod table comes in espresso and honey.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=149&f=3821&q=table&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

malphy
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Target used to have a nice activity table, white but may have other colors, with rolling drawers. It was very nice did not look like a train table.

JTsMom
06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Kidkraft is out then. There is a PB one on ebay starting at $250 if that helps.

I wonder if you could have someone local make you one? I've heard they are pretty easy to do. Are you or your DH handy at all?

Oooh- or maybe just look at regular coffee tables.

malphy
06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Search for this at target.com: Circo® Activity Table with Bins - White

Have seen irl and it is okay, better than a traditional train table.

ohiomom1121
06-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Have you seen the Nilo tables? We have the multi activity table with holes around the edges and love it.
http://www.nilotoys.com/Images/N51_a.jpgThey have one that is stained and has curved legs to look like a coffee table that's on clearance now, but I'm not sure there's matching bins for underneath.
http://www.nilotoys.com/Images/N51F_1.jpg
The first table is a really nice, sturdy table. They have bins that go underneath it, an easel/puppet theater that attaches on the end, lego mats, and longer legs you can replace when the kids get older so they can use it as more of a craft table. I'm so glad I got it instead of the Thomas table we looked at. I think it'll last a long time. BTW, I got mine at the mercantilia activity table superstore. They'll beat any price you find online so I think I got it for around $155. The rolling storage bins online are about $59 each and you can fit two.

s_gosney
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
You could also go with Ikea. I don't know the name of the unit, so this will be limited in helpfulness, but they usually have 2 pieces put together to create a train table. Maybe something from the trofast line? Hopefully someone here will know what I'm talking about...

sste
06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I have the land of nod one posted above in honey - - and have been very pleased with it. But, they also have this new model out:

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=149&f=4858&pc=9

justlearning
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Would getting rid of the train table completely work for you? My boys had a nice Kidcraft train table in their basement playroom but ended up building their elaborate track designs on the floor because they couldn't fit them on the table. So, they told me to sell the train table to give them more floor space.

We have a regular wood coffee table in our family room that's 10 years old so we're OK with it getting beaten up (just adds to its rustic look). Our boys play on that A LOT! They push their cars on it, build magna tiles on it, etc. So, a regular non-train coffee table might be a nicer play surface than you realize--the taller height seems to be nice IMO and not having raised edges allows them to push things off of it.

hellokitty
06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
From our exp the train table was a total waste. My kids prefer to just play with their trains on the floor and sprawl out. So, if I were you, I'd just get rid of the train table and get a regular coffee table that is durable to kids.

arivecchi
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
From our exp the train table was a total waste. My kids prefer to just play with their trains on the floor and sprawl out. So, if I were you, I'd just get rid of the train table and get a regular coffee table that is durable to kids. ITA. We only used our train table for about 7 months. It was a huge eyesore, so I gave it away. My toddler now uses our regular coffee table.

malphy
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I agrre that the train tables can be an eyesore but since I got mine for free I won't complain. With that said dd loves it.

We use it for other things besides her train. It is great for playdo, legos, she put her dollhouse there with her little people. She gets frustrated when the fall off her plain table. the lip keeps all of it contained.

Isn't it funny what they like/dislike? She hated the baby swing, pnp etc. While my nieces/nephews loved those things.

Back to the table, you can always get a table from ikea. I have a coffee table that has openings for baskets and the table is low enough for kids to use.

kcimato
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I also vote on the Nilo table. We have the large one but it does come in a smaller size. Also got the the storage bins, theasle and stool for it. It's not so much used as a train table at all. He uses it for all his activities.