PDA

View Full Version : Egg Allergy forums and websites?

purpleeyes
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I thought I had DD's allergy under control, but after another flare up tonight, I'm thinking not. I've done some web searches, but I havne't really found the support/resources I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for recipies, suggestions for lunches/dinners, good brands to buy, etc. Are there some forums or blogs that would be good for this?
TIA!!!

MamaMolly
06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Beth,
Have you tried www.kidswithfoodallergies.org? It is my go-to source for all things allergy related (and we are dealing with egg, too). You can do a search for recipes based on allergens you want to avoid.

I also have a lot of recipes that are really yummy and I'm happy to share. What kind of things are you looking for?

purpleeyes
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Thank you!!
I am looking for baked good recipies, mostly, that has been the hardest. Also some ideas for lunches-i'm running out of good ideas. Are you a family member of the website? Do you think the recipies/forums are worth it?

lil_acorn
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Beth - my son is also allergic to eggs. I did find one really good cookbook for cupcakes that taste pretty good. They vegan so no dairy and no eggs.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739

I have had a terrible time with recipes for pancakes, waffles, etc so if you find any good ones let me know. PM me if you want to have an offline discussion or share other recipes.

newmomto1
06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Thank you!!
I am looking for baked good recipies, mostly, that has been the hardest. Also some ideas for lunches-i'm running out of good ideas. Are you a family member of the website? Do you think the recipies/forums are worth it?

DD is allergic to eggs.
Have you tried egg replacer?
It's a powder that you mix with water & it can be used in baking & cooking as a substitute for eggs.
Let me know if you need the brand name (i cannot remember it off the top of my head).
It's available at Whole Foods (I am sure you can get it other places too).
I have found great things for DD at Whole Foods!
She is also allergic to dairy & all nuts.
She is only 2 1/2 & so far I have kept her diet pretty simple & she is okay with that.
But they have chicken nuggets and waffles she can eat which is nice (so she can eat what her big brother is eating :))

ETA: I see someone after me posted re: the egg replacer. Yes! Ener-G is the brand :)

lilycat88
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
We used the Ener-G egg replacment powder with pretty good success. We used it for most baking. It worked well for muffins, banana bread, etc. Don't try it in brownie mix. Been there...done that. For pancakes/waffles, we used the Trader Joes whole wheat baking mix and used the Ener-G powder. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between that and when we used egg. I found that Target brand foods were really good with allergy labeling. Better than the name brands. Many commercially prepared cookies (Chips Ahoy, etc.) are egg free. Of course, you have all sorts of other nifty things in there but no egg. The two things that tripped us up suprisingly were marshmallows and candy corn. Both have egg white in them. At least the brand we used. Marshmallow cream didn't have eggs in it. Cherrybrook Kitchens has some decent baking mixes for cookies, cakes, etc. http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/index.php Our local Target and Kroger stocks at least some of them.

DD is nearly 5 and we were able to stop avoiding eggs in products about 6 months ago. We don't restrict anything but an actual egg. She's had a couple of bites of scrambled egg but that's it.

MamaMolly
06-17-2009, 01:46 PM
We also use EnerG egg replacer. I've seen it at Whole Foods, Wegmans, Giant and my sister got me some at Kroger in GA. I've also had luck with the following:

Egg Replacer (good for up to 3 eggs, just multiply it out):
1 & 1/2 TB warm water
1 & 1/2 TB oil
1/2 tsp baking powder

You can also use:
1TB of ground flaxseed
3 TB water
whip, beat or use a blender until creamy/frothy, again can multiply to replace up to 3 eggs.

My favorite baking book is The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It freakin' rocks. *Every*single*recipe* I've tried has been good. So much so I did something last week I NEVER do. I took a baked good to a party without having tested the recipe first. The brownies were sinfully crazy good, and I made another batch last night for a party today. My only caution is that if you are avoiding nuts (we are) there are several nut containing recipes. I just omit the nuts. It is going in my carry on bag when we move in the Fall.

OK, so for really good pancakes (light, fluffy, not too sweet):

Egg/Dairy Free Pancakes
(dry ingredients)
1 cup flour
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

(wet ingredients)
1 cup soy milk (if you aren't avoiding dairy, cow milk is fine here)
1 TB vegetable oil
1 TB water
1 tsp. vanilla

combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl (I use my 1 cup measuring cup) combine the wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and whisk gently just to combine. If you overmix the pancakes will be TOUGH. Just ask DH. Small lumps of dry ingredients are ok.

Heat a pan, and melt a bit of margarine or butter. Spoon batter in pan, flip when steam holes come to the surface.

What else? I've got a great recipe for chocolate cake, super duper brownies, bread pudding, muffins, carrot cake...What do you want?

As for the KWFA site, for me it is worth it because I get recall information, tips for medicines and other things that may contain DD's allergens, and recipes for avoiding multiple allergies. ANd the parent support is unbeatable. DD isn't in school yet so I really appreciate those stories from the BTDT crowd.

alien_host
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
My DD is also allergic to eggs (and peanut/cashew). I got a great egg replacer recipe on this board:

For each egg:
1.5 TBS Oil (canola was recommended)
1.5 TBS water
1 tsp baking powder

I love this pancake recipe, I use the egg substitute above and it takes nearly as good as with actual eggs.

2 cups Flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar (optional)

3 eggs beaten (triple above egg substitute)
1/3 cup oil (I use canola)
2 cups milk

Sift together dry ingredients, add in egg or replacer, oil and milk and stir until blended. I put in the egg subsitute mix right before I'm planning on making the pancakes on the griddle (not sure if it makes a difference).

This batch makes a lot of pancakes. I sometimes divide the recipe in 1/3 or 2/3 (since it calls for 3 eggs - with the replacer it's easier to do 1/2). 2/3 of a batch is perfect for DH and I and DD who doesn't eat much anyway.

alien_host
06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
someone told me you can use a can of soda to replace the eggs, water and oil in a boxed cake mix.

Use Coke for chocolate and sprite/7-up for yellow cake - 12 ounce can. They did say you could use diet soda.

Personally it seems like a lot of extra sugar but I have to admit I'm curious if it works.

MamaMolly
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
someone told me you can use a can of soda to replace the eggs, water and oil in a boxed cake mix.

Use Coke for chocolate and sprite/7-up for yellow cake - 12 ounce can. They did say you could use diet soda.

Personally it seems like a lot of extra sugar but I have to admit I'm curious if it works.

Could be fun to find out! :)

DrSally
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm going to have to try some of those pancake receipes out. Beth, did she have an accidental exposure? We have egg allergy here too, but no accidental exposures as far as we know, so I don't know what the reaction would be. The allergist did say to start giving egg in baked goods. I gave DS a small bite of cookie and he complained of a stomach ache that night. I waited several months and tried again and he had a massive temper tantrum that night (may or may not be related).

purpleeyes
06-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!! You know, honestly, I forgot that I could do other things to 'replace' the eggs-in the beginning I was using the flax seed option in some cookie recipies, etc. but then I got really focused on reading labels and trying to find some brands that worked. I think I need to look into making some more stuff at home-bread, rolls, etc.
I have seen that egg replacer at Whole Foods and I was hesitant, but it is good to see some 'real' people recommend it! :)

DD must have had an accidental exposure, I have gone over the things she has eaten in the last few days and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it was except that the TJ's brand of tortillas has soy lecithin and I had read for some people with egg allergies that could be a problem. But, I read it on a random website, so I wasn't even sure if it was good info. Has anyone heard that?

Again, thanks so much for all the info/stories. I should have asked this question before!

DrSally
06-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I've never heard that about they soy lecithin.

lilycat88
06-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I've heard the soy allergy thing related to milk but not egg. Many folks with milk allergy are allergic to soy as well.