PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the word about the registry?

mamainflorida
06-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I really hope this doesn't sound shallow or materialistic, but does anyone have advice on how to spread the word about the fact that we have a registry?

I'm not comfortable doing this myself because if I do, it would basically mean that I'm telling people that I'm expecting gifts. However, I know of a few people who have already told my Mom that if it's a girl, they'll get us X, if it's a boy, they'll get us X, and so on.

She's told one person (a colleague of hers) that we're registered, but it apparently doesn't matter... this lady is set on giving us a pair of earrings for the baby if it's a girl. This is a really nice, generous gesture, but I have no intention of piercing my baby's ears.

Anyway, I realize this may sound really shallow, but if anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it!

We are not having a shower by the way, but we're doing something after the baby is born.

Thanks!

TwinFoxes
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Just tell your friends, and closest friend at work. I'm sure people are asking your friends where you're registered, or "does she need anything?" They can just say you're registered.

As for the lady giving earrings, people like her don't care if you're registered or not, so spreading the word won't have any effect on that type of person. But hey, it's the thought...

Andi98989
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I told both of our moms where we are registered so that they can pass it on to people who ask about it (and both are major bargain shoppers, so I can see them wanting to pick stuff up on sale/with coupons). One of DH's co-workers asked him where we are registering at so he told her. I'm sure she'll tell the rest of his co-workers.

SnuggleBuggles
06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I think it is up to other people, like the ones throwing you a shower, to point out where you are registered.

Beth

citymama
06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I think it's one of these things where you tell people if they ask. You can't really offer the info without sounding like you're saying, "please buy me something." Let your mom/best friend/close family know, in case they get asked by relatives or other friends.

mommylamb
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree about not telling people unless they ask. but if they do ask, then you can also tell them that if anyone asks them they should pass the info along (as in hint hint, tell people where I'm registered;))

Jacksmommy2b
06-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Who is hosting the party you are throwing after baby is born?

If memory serves, it is socially acceptable to include registry cards with invitations to showers.

I agree you should pass on to your closest pals and family members where you are registered. If you are thinking about work friends you could always share a story about DH driving you crazy with the scan gun down at babies r us.

Depending on the ages of your friends, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my experience older friends tend to shop off registry, if they know of one or not. Younger friends (30 ish) tend to shop on registry. Good luck.

infomama
06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
We are not having a shower by the way, but we're doing something after the baby is born.

Thanks!
I would just tell people when they ask. I assume people will want to bring something to the event after your Dc arrives so they will ask you or around.

HannaAddict
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Who is hosting the party you are throwing after baby is born?

If memory serves, it is socially acceptable to include registry cards with invitations to showers.

It is never socially acceptable to include registry information with invitations to a shower. Really. It doesn't mean people don't do it, but it is tacky and unnecessary. People who are going to get you a gift will either ask if you are registered, if they care, or buy you what they want to, there is nothing you can do about it. If I know someone is having a baby, I know that there are not that many baby registries around and will check babiesrus, target, pottery barn kids, land of nod and our local high end baby store. There is really no way, nor should there be, for people to follow the registry anyway.

wellyes
06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I really hope this doesn't sound shallow or materialistic, but does anyone have advice on how to spread the word about the fact that we have a registry?

It doesn't sound shallow or materialistic to me, just rational, but unfortunately I agree with the PPs. Don't mention it, unless asked. Better to just graciously accept what you're given and hope for gift receipts!

BTW earrings for a baby as a shower gift? Yikes. I know in some cultures many parents do pierce infant's ears - for example, most Indian baby girls seem to have pierced ears that I've seen - but I still can't see that as being an appropriate gift (unless you're part of one of those cultures).