PDA

View Full Version : Another 11-month-old With Sleep Trouble

ntrainer
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
ARGH! Since this is our 2nd daughter, I thought we'd have this sleep thing down but... So here's the situation: Last week we decided to do CIO with our well-slept 11-month-old at night. (We're believers in the Weissbluth book, which basically describes her behavior up to now: at 11 months, 2 naps totalling about 3 hours, and 11-12 hours at night.) Previously, she'd been going to sleep around 6:30-7:00 p.m., waking once around 5:30 a.m. (when I'd feed her), and then going back down to sleep 'til around 7:00 a.m. With our first, CIO worked within 3 days.

With our 2nd, it's been a week now and it seems that ALL her sleep is disturbed -- naps AND sleep at night. Now she still goes down at 6:30 - 7:00 p.m., but wakes with screaming at least 2x night (briefly), and wakes at 6:00 a.m. SCREAMING 'til we go in and get her. It's hard to make her last 'til that first nap at 9:00 a.m., but whereas before that nap was at least 90 minutes, now it's 60 minutes and again she wakes SCREAMING, and is not in the best mood during the morning. The afternoon nap has the same problem. By 1:00 p.m. she's exhausted, goes to sleep for an hour, max., and then wakes SCREAMING. It's now about 2:45 p.m. and I've managed to make it through about 30 minutes of screaming, and she's gotten herself back to sleep. (She used to sleep 'til 2:45 or 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon, which made for a lovely 4-hour "awake" period but if I go get her at 2:15 -- which is when she woke this afternoon -- she's a basket case during the afternoon.)

How do I even begin to address this? She's clearly sleep deprived, but is waking up both from naps and from nighttime sleep so much more easily and quickly than before.

ARGH!