PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier for HOT weather??

joytiare
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm expecting in August (T minus 6 weeks) and am looking to get a wrap-style carrier for me and a Bjorn/Beco style carrier for my husband. We live in the tropics and are most concerned about carrying baby in the sweltering heat!! Any recommendations for staying cooler with either style?

I've seen some "waterproof" wrap products and most recently the Bjorn Synergy looks like it's the fusion of a active mesh carrier with adequate lumbar support.

Any advice from the beachcombers parents out there?

hobie
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, I hated my bjorn. It killed my back, and that was when I was trying to carry my bitty newborn baby twin (so barely 6 lbs). The straps are thin, and narrow, so not very comfy for the wearer. It doesn't put any weight on your hips, only on your shoulders, again, not comfy (the bjorn's lumbar support is not the same as the hip belts on the other baby carriers that really do transfer weight to your hips).

Anyways, I'd get a solarweave Connecta (solarweave is like boys swim shorts, so very cool, but still supportive). You can add a hip belt to the Connecta to make it very supportive.

For a wrap, check out Wrapsody.

More on baby carriers at thebabywearer.com

ang79
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
For a wrap I've heard that Gypsy Mama Bali Breeze wraps are great for hot weather. For the structured carrier I'd steer away from the Ergo, have heard that ones really hot in warm weather. I have an Action Baby Carrier that isn't too bad in the summer and I normally get very hot very quickly! Its also very comfy and you can carry on the back or front. If its for your DH, I'd let him pick one he is comfortable with and likes how it looks. I originally bought my green/tan Action Baby Carrier for DH to wear but he refuses to babywear at all :( Men can be funny like that!

mamababa
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Wrapsody makes a great water wrap you can use. The Bali Breeze wraps are also nice and cool for the tropics. All structured carriers are going to have a certain amount of warmth, although ERGO makes a Sport carrier that is cooler than the regular ERGO. I wouldn't use ERGO with an infant though. The ABC mentioned above could be good, and I think a Beco or Pikkolo would work too.

You might also look into a mesh pouch, like the ones Kangaroo Korner makes. I think Carry Me Away sells them also.

tentoes
06-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Baby Bjorn's lumbar support is a joke. and as someone mentioned above, the straps are not wide enough [which causes the weight of the baby to basically hang from your neck/shoulder area].

I've been looking for the same exact thing- a baby carrier for hot weather. I've seen Wrap n Wear (http://www.wrapnwear.com/photos.html) recommended a lot as it's lightweight, breathable, crinkle cotton. The Gypsy Mama/Wrapsody water wrap (http://www.gypsymama.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=water) is highly recommended too (not too stretchy that a heavier kid will stretch it out).

If you come across a Solarveil wrap [let me know!;)], they're extremely lightweight and have SPF built in and won't wash out. But the company went out of business a few years back (it was too expensive to produce I think) so whatever they had left was quickly snapped up.

GL finding something and please let us know what worked in the end!

tempi
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I bought a Bjorn Synergy already (due in Sept) to get my dogs used to DH & I carrying a baby around (we have a doll inside that cries, etc). The synergy really does balance out the weight and as compared to the Active, the lighter mesh material makes a huge difference. Of course, I'm not carrying LO yet and it's not that hot yet but I'm really happy with it thus far. (Like you, I will also get a wrap for me and DH will mostly use the Bjorn).

Neatfreak
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I also live in the tropics, and I've been kind of surprised that we've been okay with my collection of an Ergo, Beco, and Hotsling. I thought that we'd be out talking walks and such, but really, we don't go out when it's really hot and humid. The regular carriers are fine for being out in airports, shopping, etc.