PDA

View Full Version : Simple meals that freeze well...care to share your recipe?

jerseygirl07067
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm going to making a few meals for a friend of mine who is due soon, and wanted some ideas other than the lasagne or baked ziti that I usually make.

I consider myself a decent cook, but am not sure what freezes well.

twindad
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Have you seen http://freezerchicks.blogspot.com/ ?

maydaymommy
06-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Have you seen http://freezerchicks.blogspot.com/ ?

Thanks for posting! Once we move into our new house in early August, I MUST start making freezer dinners for when the baby is born, early September. I'm new to the whole freezer-meal thing (and, uh, not so experienced with cooking in general).

Would love more tips and recipes!

Jen841
06-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Buy, borrow or go to the library and get Don't Panic Dinner is in the Freezer 1 and/or 2. Great recipes that freeze well. I also like the Dream Dinners cookbook. Super Suppers cookbook did not excite me, plus I go there on occassion.

willow33
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
My MIL made this for us in April when our baby girl was born. I still have a freezer bag with 12 stuffed shells in my freezer. It's delicious! I think it's a Paula Deen recipe :)

Northern Italian Stuffed Shells

Ingredients
3 packages frozen, chopped spinach
3 pounds ground round
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 large onions, chopped
Grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
2 jumbo eggs
1 (1-pound) package jumbo pasta shells
2 cups tomato sauce (your own or ready-made)

Directions
Place frozen spinach in a strainer and run under hot water until thawed. Squeeze all of the water out and place in a large bowl. In a large saute pan, cook the ground round until browned. Drain meat, reserving 2 tablespoons fat in the pan, and place meat in the same bowl with the spinach. Stir in the cream cheese until blended with the meat and spinach. Saute the chopped onions in the reserved meat fat until transparent. Transfer onions to the bowl with the other ingredients and stir to combine. Add grated cheese, salt, and pepper, to taste, and combine. Let mixture cool and then add the eggs. The filling can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook pasta shells in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and cool to the touch. Stuff the shells with the meat mixture. Place shells in a large baking pan and cover with tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour. Serve.

Tondi G
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Shepherd's pie

Brown onion and ground meat.... add a couple of cans of mixed vegetables (or vegis of your choice) ours is usually peas, corn, green beans, carrots. My mom uses a UK brand of gravy mix called bisto (make according to directions.... add boiling water to the thickness you like). Add the gravy to the meat and vegi mix. put it in a corning ware or if you are giving it away you can put it into a foil pan. top with 2 inches or so of homemade mashed potatoes. cover with foil and put it in the freezer.