PDA

View Full Version : Play silks

ourbabygirl
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
O.k., so I'm planning on getting some 35" x 35" play silks, but have a few ?s:

1. How many is a good # to have in a family (2 or 3, or more?)

2. Any color suggestions? (there are so many to choose from) Do boys play with pink and purple ones, and will girls play with brown and blue ones?

3. Do they need to be the 'silks,' or can they be the chiffon version (which are cheaper on etsy)? And if so, is this something I could just make on my own from fabric at the fabric store?

4. Some people selling on etsy have kind of 'wrinkly' ones in their photos... do they actually get wrinkly? If so, which sellers should be avoided, and which ones do you prefer to buy from?

Anything else I should know?

Please educate this play silk newbie!:D

TIA!

kayte
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
You did mention making some yourself... I (and many others here) bought white silk scarves from Dharma Trading company and colored them with koolaid and wilton food dyes in our microwaves (and stove tops).

I have one DD (3yo) and we have 8. Currently the blue and brown get the most play (water and farmland) but last year we went through a phase of wearing the yellow one as a dress every day. They are played with by the kids in our playgroup and I haven't noticed any tendeny for boys and girls to play with different colors.

Seitvonzu
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
okay, so i tend to overdue things, but i have an almost 18 month old and we have TWELVE silks. i always wanted some as a kid (i poured over the magic cabin catalog as a child) but my mother thought i was too old for stuff like that. anywho, i got the silks around the holidays and i used them to wrap my daughter's birthday gifts-- it looked BEAUTIFUL and she loved it! i've decided i'm going to do that every year because it really reduced the waste (at least for her birthday...christmas is another matter!)

i bought them from atoygarden.com -- the assortment of 12 is 60 dollars. that's the best price i've found and the silks are VERY nice. the shipping from california was the sticking point, but even factoring that in, the silks were very affordable. oh, and the owner of toygarden is SUPER nice-- i had a question about something i was ordering for my neice and she was quite responsive and helpful. i wish i had 60 dollars laying around b/c i'd love to use silks as wrapping paper for future kid gifts (the silk would also be part of the gift).

the 12 assorted silks are rainbow colors (pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and "summer" colors-- raspberry, salmon, gold & turquoise...there is one more i'm forgetting right now) my child likes all of them and when other kids are over, the boys like them all too. they are really an open ended toy & i'm SO happy i got them :)

annasmom
06-19-2009, 08:42 AM
I think number and colors depends on the age of your children. Does she/he have a preference??

I bought a rainbow when my kids were young - I think the 36" size.

Then a few years ago I bought a few bigger silks for building (I think from thai silks dot com) and dyed them myself with Wilton dyes - SOOO easy - even for me (trust me, this is saying a lot)!

I bought my rainbow of silks from fairy cove dot com - and they are great - have held up very well under pretty consistent use of 3+ years.

People rave about the silks from a toy garden dot com - and they used to offer the best prices (I haven't looked in a long time). I have bought other things from a toy garden and the customer service was excellent.