PDA

View Full Version : Any favorite rest stops in CT/NY/NJ?

jent
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
We're doing a 5ish hr drive from Massachusetts to PA this weekend & I'm trying to plan ahead for the rest areas. This is our first car ride longer than 2.5-3hrs. Ideally, I'd like to be able to stop midway (or a bit before) for an extended rest stop where DD can run around, and then we can all picnic lunch. I think we'll be taking 84 to 684, and then somehow (if you know this area you know there are many ways to go) get to the NJ turnpike to get to PA.

I did find a park in Danbury, CT, which is a little early in the trip, but might work... Kenosia Park, which has a playground and picnic area.

I think the ideal place to stop would be somewhere in Westchester... anyone know about the rest stops there?

I feel like I should know this because I grew up in Northern NJ, but we never really needed to make pit stops in this area b/c it was so near home.

Thanks! I dread traveling in all its forms, so every bit of preparation helps.

LD92599
06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Once you're in NJ, if you take 95 across the GWB you'll come to the Vince Lombardi rest area, but it's mostly truckers. NJ really lags behind other states in terms of rest area's. You'll come to another rest stop just before Exit 11 on the turnpike. You could get off the turnpike @ Exit 70 towards Leonia and there will be a VERY large park on your left, which might work nicely for you! It's called Overpeck Park. I'd stop there instead of the rest area itself EXCEPT that the weather this weekend calls for all rain!

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/parks/Parks/Overpeck%20-%20South.htm

There's also the Palisades Mall in Nyack along the NYS Thruway if you don't come across 95 to the GWB.

Have fun!

jent
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
NJ really lags behind other states in terms of rest area's.

Yep, see that's what I remember about NJ's rest stops. Wish we were traveling on the NY Thruway, those are generally nice.

Thanks for the suggestions! Anyone else? I'm looking to collect as many alternatives as possible!

hollybloom24
06-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Driving between Massachusetts and NJ we sometimes stop at the Starbucks on Route 16 in Southbury, CT, right off 84. It is located in one of those outdoor lifestyle malls.

We also sometimes stop at Rein's Deli in Vernon, CT, also right off 84 for meals. It is delicious!