PDA

View Full Version : Are flushable liners for cloth diapers a waste of money?

eidean
06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
So I dabbled in cloth diapers earlier, but only just started doing them full-time about a month ago, and DS is almost 8 months. Since he was already on solid foods, I immediately purchased some flushable liners but so far they've been a bit of a letdown. They're always bunching up around his privates (I often wonder if they irritate him when they get really bunched up) but the worst of it is that when this happens they only catch part of his poo, so I have to wipe off the diaper anyway. Am I just wasting my money buying them, or does anybody have any advice for making them stay put?

Thanks!

eringremlin
06-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I find the liners helpful if he's in a umm... messy period. I do keep some on hand, but use them only sporadically. The diaper sprayer is really key when dealing with baby eating solids. It was really simple to install and has worked great for us. I'm NOT dunking. No thanks.

Page
07-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I've never used the flushable ones, but I do use anti-pill fleece liners. Have you considered using those? You just buy some of the anti-pill fleece material at the fabric store and cut it into strips to lay into the diaper.

What I like about them is that they stay put really, really well (I've never had a problem with them slipping...perhaps it's because it's fabric on fabric?). They catch almost all of the poo and I mostly end up rinsing the liner instead of the diaper itself. And, I just throw it in the wash with the dipes.

I'm not sure if the flushable are more or less expensive than the fabric. This system works great for me, though.

o_mom
07-03-2009, 09:28 PM
We use them and love them. For us it took finding the right brand that fit well. We use Diaperaps brand. They are big enough that the elastic in the fitted diapers keeps them in place. They catch probably 90% of the poo. Some of the smaller ones did what you describe - bunching up and then not being in the right place. If your DC has more solid poop, you can use just fleece and it rolls right off (assuming you catch it right away and they don't sit down and squash it all over). My DC, however, have never had solid poop - it is mushy right up to PTing.

hellokitty
07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I have never used them, but I have to friends who SWEAR by them and who think I am nuts when I tell them I just used cut up pieces of fleece as liners... they love the disposable ones. They say that they are reusable (will re-wash) if they are just peed on.