PDA

View Full Version : teeth brushing question

DietCokeLover
06-18-2009, 09:24 AM
How old was your DC when you switched to toothpaste with fluoride as opposed to the training paste? DC is 2 1/2 and thinks the training paste is yummy so doesn't learn/ want to not swallow it. With it tasting so good to her, I'm not sure how to teach her this. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

stacik75
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I moved DD to big girl toothpaste when she was 3.5.
It took a lot of reminding her not to swallow and to spit it out, but she got the hang of it relatively quickly. Definitely a messy process.
The worst part was finding a toothpaste that she liked. She thought a lot of them were too "spicy".
Good luck!

katerinasmom
06-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't remember the exact age but I think it was somewhere between 3 and 4. It was definitely after DD1 starting spitting. I would brush with her so she saw me spitting out the toothpaste. DD2 now brushes with DD1 and DD2 who is only 21 months is starting to spit out the toothpast imitating her older sister. She's no where near ready for flouride toothpaste (doesn't spit consistently or completely, stills bites the brush and sucks on the toothpaste and only has 10 teeth total) but I suspect that she'll be ready sooner than DD1 was because she loves to do everything that her older sister does. It's all about imitating the older one.

citymama
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
DD is 3 and still using non-fluoride. We're going to the dentist in a few weeks and plan to ask them then, before changing anything. They are getting fluoride in drinking water, so no urgent need yet.

bubbaray
06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
No fluoride in the water here and we were told to use regular, fluoridated toothpaste from the start (so from when their first teeth appeared). We also gave fluoride drops (not every day, mainly b/c I didn't remember).

DrSally
06-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Just recently, so around 3.25 yrs.