PDA

View Full Version : My mother is driving me insane!

HIU8
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
DS is sick. he had high fevers of 103.9 for a couple of days and a very sore throat and swollen glands. We have been to the peds 2x in the past 4 days. His fever is finally gone or they were going to have us come in to draw blood to test for mono. Meanwhile, my mother calls a lot to see how DS is. She is screaming at me that he obviously has swine flu and is going to die unless I take him back to the ped and then to the hospital--I mean screaming. Um, hello mom--YOU ARE NOT HERE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! I hung up on her this morning b/c she yelled at me b/c I took DD to daycare (so she could at least have some fun--she was sick last week) and had DS stay in the car (daycare is in a house and I drop DD at the door and my car is in the driveway right next to the front door and locked with DS inside for the 1 minute I am out of the car). I'm so done with my mother who feels like she needs to control everything ALL.THE.TIME. It has gotten worse since she moved away. Heck, if she didn't want to be that far away from family--why move?????

Ok, I'm done now. Not talking to mom today or tomorrow or I might tell her off in a big big way.

newg
06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry your DS is so sick....I hope he feels better soon.......having sick kids and a strung-out mother is not fun......
I wouldn't answer the phone either for the next few days....let DH play interference if she calls in the evening!!
Hope everyone feels better soon!!

JBaxter
06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
We had that virus too. Sore throat swollen glands 4-6 days of fevers from normal to 104. Childrens motrin was the only thing that worked ( every 4 hrs). General grumpiness.
The hospital isnt going to do anything but maybe an IV if dyhydration.

I know 4 of my friends who have had it ( or the kids). Im in Maryland

TonFirst
06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Girl, I'm living with it in GA. My son had is last week (read about the saga over in my most recent post in the lounge) and my daughter has it this week. We alternated Tylenol/Motrin every 4 hours - it was the only thing that kept the fever down, and if we missed the window (nap, sleeping, etc) the fever would spike to scary numbers. I'm sending good thoughts your way, and am thankful that my mother was sane through the whole ordeal. Most likely adenovirus, from what I understand.

HIU8
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Right now DS hasn't had a fever since Tuesday night. We are just dealing with the sore throat and general grumpiness. DS isn't going back to camp until the earliest Monday (hopefully he will be better by then).

I'm in Maryland as well. So far DS is the only kid in his preschool/now camp class that has had this. This week all I have done is inform the school each day that DS will not be there. Next week I will let them know exactly what he had. Last week DD had a slight fever for 24 hours and then nothing (no sore throat or anything). The ped has been very ontop of this with DS. It looks like we are over the hump and coming down the other side (thank goodness).

My mother is a nut when it comes to things she cannot control and I have to distance myself from her when she gets like this or I will go crazy.

himom
06-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry he's been so sick and your Mom is adding stress to the situation. If it makes her feel any better, we all just had swine flu and the kids got through it very well. DH has walking pneumonia, but that's another story.....

Hope everyone is well soon!

b194962
06-21-2009, 05:51 PM
your mother sounds like mine. except she is like that with me even when everything is ok. it's almost like she cannot survive unless she creates drama or a problem. the baby is too cold, the baby is too hot, she shouldn't wear this, shouldn't wear that. she stresses us out, and if i try to discuss it with her she is defensive and unreasonable. sorry don't have a solution for you. but just make sure you pick the right battles to fight - that has been my attitude about it and i try not to let her get to me.