PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 8 oz Dr Brown's bottles

sunshine873
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
DD has been using Dr Browns bottles quite successfully. We've been using the Level 3 nipples for weeks. A few days ago we graduated from the 4 oz size to 8 oz & she seems to be having troubles. She just drinks 1/2 to 1 ounce before falling half asleep, although I know she's still hungry. This morning when that happened, I poured some of the formula into the old 4 oz bottle & she sucked it right down. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I just can't understand why the larger size would make a difference.

jren
06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
That's so strange... I don't know what it could be. We just started with the 8 oz., so I don't have the 4 oz to see if there's a difference. The only part that's different is the length of the inner tube. Hmmm...

purple
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
We use both 8 ounce and 4 ounce and I see no difference between the 2. We also still use the slow flow nipples however, I've never seen a reason to change them for my 5 mo old.

sunshine873
07-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Update...I heard back from handi-craft (the company that makes Dr. Brown's bottles.) They said that it could be 1 of 2 things:
1 - We have a defective bottle, in which case they'd replace it. Nice to hear, but I have 3 of them, & it's the same story with all of them.
2 - There is more of a pressure build-up in the bigger bottles. Try to alleviate pressure by loosening up the collar, so nipple is not screwed on tight...just enough to not leak.

#2 did the trick. If I loosen up the collar/nipple, she suddenly sucks it down. I've also found if we don't hold the bottle at such a sharp angle, it seems to be easier for her to drink.

It still seems a bit odd, but at least she's eating again. I just wanted to share my findings in case anyone else has the problem. Thanks!