PDA

View Full Version : Avent or Dr. Brown's?

tigergreen
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi all...

we're having our first in October, and I've registered for Avent bottles, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off with Dr. Brown's.

I plan on trying to breastfeed for the long haul, unless something unforeseen happens with not producing enough, etc, so i will be pumping & using the bottles for that.

is one better than the other for my purposes?

they both have BPA free options, and from what i understand, dr. brown's has more parts, but now you can throw everything in the dishwasher, like the avent.

i've been told to not mess with the smaller bottles, since they don't use them that long.

any experiences ya'll would like to share? i know it really comes down to the baby's preference, but i'd like to know a good one to start off, at least.

JBaxter
06-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Mine wont take the avent bottles. The nipples are WAY harder than dr browns. I would register for a box of 3 of each and see what your baby likes. I have playtex drop ins, vent air, avent, regular evenflo dr brown and born free OH and a couple medela for the pump.

Jack likes the softness of the dr brown bottles but will take the born free and the medela ones if the others are in the dishwasher.

Really they are to expensive to buy a lot until you know what works the best for your baby. For us avent was the worst didnt latch well on it and dribbled milk down the chin OH and they leaked no matter what I did.

Jack is 50 - 50 bf and ff. He does much better on the standard neck bottle/nipple the wide ones dont work well for him

ArizonaGirl
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I ended up with the Dr. Brown's because my son was born early (36 weeks) and we ended up using the Preemie size nipples (at 6 mo he is still on Level 1). The nice thing about the Preemie nipples is that for the most part they match the flow of breastfeeding better because they are harder to get milk out of.

Also, FWIW is work at a hospital and they recommend Dr. Brown's bottles in the NICU (b/c of the Preemie nipples) and the LC also recommend them.

HTH

kijip
06-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Bottle preference varies from baby to baby. I would not register for them at all or register for single of a number of different kinds. My son will not take ANY bottle except Gerber Nuk (not even sold at our BRU- can only get them at a local chain drugstore). The Avent brand ones, which along with Dr. Browns we happily used with our first son, my second son totally rejects. Every so often I try a different one just to see but no. It is Nuk or bust with him. I don't think a big stock up is wise pre-baby.

Also, nursing at the breast early and often is what helps build a strong supply. So there is plenty of time after the baby is born to get bottles. We did fine with ONE (usable) bottle for the first couple of months until I decided to have one at Grandpa's and one in the diaper bag as a spare. We had/have singles of a number of others rolling around the cabinet still, LOL. After having had trouble nursing my first son, I have to say not having a large amount of bottles and accessories around this time I think made it easier to get off to a successful start. We are almost 6 months into this and he nearly exclusively breast-fed (we use a few ounces of formula here and there) and I have a solid, if not overabundant supply. This is a big difference from my first child.

As for large vs small, it also depends. I like the small size and my son never takes more than 5 ounces in a bottle (either breast milk or breast milk mixed with formula) but he is a bean of a baby.