PDA

View Full Version : Annual registration?

Mermanaid
06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
I just received an email from gymnastics telling me that our annual registration form and fee of $35 is due next month. Is this normal to have to pay this every year in your region? Sheesh ... I am already paying them almost $80/mo for four classes.

bubbaray
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Not gymnastics, but we pay a registration fee for DD#1's ballet studio. Plus, 50% of the costume fee is also due upon registration. The balance of the costume fee is paid monthly over the course of the studio "year" (9m?).

mominma
06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Our gymnastics programs also charge a $35 annual registration fee.

hellokitty1
06-18-2009, 05:05 PM
IME, annual registration is typical. It occurs for dance, gymnastics, daycare, camp, etc.

new_mommy25
06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately, it is normal. I have had to do that for a number of classes my children have taken.

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2009, 07:09 PM
We pay it for gymnastics as well.

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Yep, normal around here too.

justincase
06-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Yup, normal here too. Indoor swimming -- re-register and pay tuition every six weeks -- plus the annual fee. We could take gymnastics, karate, etc. at the same place with only one annual fee, though. And ours is per family, not per child.

Tondi G
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah seems everyone is charging an "annual fee" now a days! We got a letter from our pediatricians office that they are charging and annual fee for our 2 boys they are requesting $250 annually!!!!

Mermanaid
06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for letting me know I'm not all alone in this! It just seems like an easy way to make more money off of us but I should give the benefit of the doubt and assume they are buying GREAT new equipment, etc.

MommyofAmaya
06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah seems everyone is charging an "annual fee" now a days! We got a letter from our pediatricians office that they are charging and annual fee for our 2 boys they are requesting $250 annually!!!!

Wow! Is this common in some areas? Are you planning to pay it?
I would certainly expect some "concierge service" type perks.

Snow mom
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM

We pay an annual fee of about $100 at our pedi. There is a multiple child discount but I can't remember what it is. This fee covers various "extras" that the health insurance doesn't. The biggest one for us was they see fewer patients per hour and therefore have more time for each patient.

Tondi G
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow! Is this common in some areas? Are you planning to pay it?
I would certainly expect some "concierge service" type perks.

I wish it was something special. They said it covers things that the insurance doesn't pay them for. Like

~saturday office hours
~someone always on call so we can talk to one of "our" doctors in the middle of the night if needed (I've called them after hours maybe 3 or 4 times since my 1st was born 8 years ago)

It doesn't really feel like they are offering all that much more than what any other pediatrician in our area might offer. The prices are 1 child $150, 2 kids $250, 3 kids+$300

They have covered their bases and run it by attorneys and the medical board and apparently they can do this. We pay an awful lot for medical insurance... our co pay is $45 per visit... and we have a high deductible. We've been killed with DH getting in a car accident and my older DS breaking his arm 3 times in the last few years (one requireing surgery and pins). The is like a stab in the back. I LOVE our doctor and the practice is the same one "I" went to as a child. I wish there was some way they could just charge people if they used the services they are pointing out as opposed to making EVERYONE pay.... when your kids are older and you aren't a 1st timer you tend to call the pediatrician less (especially in the middle of the night!). So far the payment was due in May and we paid for last year in February since my little guy was sick and had an EI... she said if we wanted to continue having them as a ped we needed to pay the annual fee for the previous year!

I'm casually looking for another pediatrician.... but we might be changing insurance so who knows!

I realize I just hijacked this thread... it was about a gymnastic fee.... now I've gone on B*tching about my own situation! Sorry OP!

alien_host
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
We also pay an annual fee for the place where we take our classes (not just gymnastics, but they have art, music, gym, ballet). But this fee covers "open gym" times where you can use the place and play and other afternoon/weekend activities that they have monthly.

ETA: Wow I never heard of an annual fee at the doctor's office! Although as I type this, I'm probably going to get a letter from our doctor's office ;) Although ours did mention a $35 fee for using the "nurses line" but I've never paid that and have called a lot. They had posted a notice in the waiting are and in the exam rooms but never sent a letter to our home.