PDA

View Full Version : How far out do I need to reserve....

JTsMom
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
We are planning to stay at Pop 11/29-12-6. We don't have to stay there, but we'd like to. How long can I wait to book it and still have a pretty good shot at getting a room there? I'm trying to hold out for a discount or code. I know I could book it and then apply a code later, but I have a dilemma. We want to do a package. If nothing better comes out, and we are only going to get a AAA discount, I need to book through AAA (plus, that would get us the diamond parking pass which we loved last year). However, knowing how these things go, if a killer discount comes out, I want to book/apply it at lightning speed, and I can't count on my agent being there to do it for me.

If I book through Disney right now, then I'm gambling on a code coming out, and if it doesn't, I've lost my AAA discount, and my parking pass, for no good reason.

If I book through one and have to cancel and book through the other, I have to deal with the whole cancel and refund situation.

egoldber
06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? You can book a AAA rate now through Disney and they will happily apply any other offer you get later. Although I guess that doesn't help with the Diamond Pass (which I've never had, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing ;) ). And we've also never done a package, but you can ask for a room only rate now and then add a package later. I think you can add a package up until 24/48 hours before arrival.

JTsMom
06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
If I understand correctly, you can't book a package with a AAA discount through Disney directly- only through AAA. So if I book through Disney with a AAA, room-only discount, I can't add the package later- well, I could, but I couldn't keep the AAA discount then. Does that make sense?

JTsMom
06-18-2009, 10:05 PM
And the parking pass is pretty awesome. :) We parked right up front- and I mean RIGHT up front- at both Epcot and AK. At DHS it's just ok- better than regular, but not by far, and we rode the bus to MK so I don't know about there.

At Epcot, we were able to park right up by the sidewalk. It was pretty cool.

egoldber
06-19-2009, 06:49 AM
I guess the times we stayed at Pop we didn't have a car, so it didn't matter. :)

I guess it's true that you can't do a AAA package through WDW, but you can do a Disney package. You lose the AAA rate, but that's the nature of a package.

I don't think there is any downside to booking and getting a AAA rate though right away.

Octobermommy
06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
The good news is that early December is usually not packed but I would go ahead and make the reservation if you really have your heart set on pop.

JTsMom
06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, the answer to my question is apparently earlier than now! LOL I called my AAA agent today, and she said there are no rooms left at Pop at AAA rates. She was really surprised about it, and so was I.

Soooo, DH and I went back and forth deciding what to do, and I figured I'd call Disney directly, double check that there were no rooms at AAA rate, and check AAA availability at POFQ and CBR. Well, surprisingly, the DID have Pop availability at that rate, so I panicked and booked it. Now if no codes come out, I'm screwed b/c I'm out the parking pass, and I won't be able to add dining. If a code does come out, I'm just out the pass. Or, alternatively, I guess I could just call AAA and try to start over from scratch.

I just don't understand why the agent was told there was nothing. Do they hold back rooms from them or something?

bnme
06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Is that Pop Warner (sp) week? It's some sort of cheerleading conference.

JTsMom
06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
IIRC, Pop Warner starts on the 5th, so we'll be there for 1 day of it, but they are supposedly staying at the All Stars and CSR from what I've read on disboards.

clc053103
06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I did read that some people were starting to get emails about free dining being extended to December- can't hurt to ask!

Momof3Labs
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I just got a card in the mail through our Disney Visa that extends free dining to mid-December. There's still hope!!

JTsMom
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Ooooh! I knew we should have applied for one of those cards! Darn DH. I wonder if I still should do it now, or if it'll trickle down to the general public. Hmmmmm.