PDA

View Full Version : Bananas: DS doesn't like?

Zoey187
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
We just started feeding DS bananas yesterday and he doesn't seem to like them. The first day I just smashed with a fork and added some water to make them smoother. Today I put them in my mixer to see if he liked them better that way, nope. He makes this face like they are sour and then spits them out. Does it just take some time for him to get used to them? Should I stop and try again in a couple of weeks? I don't like bananas so I am wondering if he might not like them either. He has been eating his veggies with no problems like this. Anything I can do different? Anyone else with this problem?

larig
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I had the same experience with my DS. I hate bananas, so I had DH feed them to DS, because I didn't want him to sense my dislike of them. He made terrible faces, like we were trying to poison him with the banana. This is a kid, who liked pretty much everything we'd feed him. Anyway we tried fresh super-mashed up, then jarred (thinking he'd like the texture better), then coarsely mashed--no luck with any. Then a couple of months later we tried again, and now he likes them fine.

JBaxter
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Jack isnt a fan of banana either. If he is really hungry he will eat them but in general he picks up everything else on his try to eat and leaves them. No every child likes everyfood. They arnt my favorite either. Try again in a month or so but go to another food for now

pharmjenn
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a lot of kids do this. My DS hated them at first. Then a couple months later I tried the jarred and he would eat that but not a real banana. Now at 18mo, he loves them and asks for "minas" multiple times daily

Nyfeara
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
DS liked them at first, then went thru a stage where he didn't like them anymore. Then he'd only eat them at daycare, but not at home. He's now back into them because he can hold chunks of them & bite off pieces. I guess that makes them more appealing now...

We would just keep offering periodically to see if he was back into eating them.

srhs
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't think DS liked them much at first either. Now, if he spots one across the room, he starts signing "banana" like mad :banana: and insisting on having it! I'd just move on to other stuff for now and try it again later.