PDA

View Full Version : s/o: so where did you get married?

AnnieW625
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
We got married in our home town of Woodland, CA. We got married at the local Catholic church, and had our reception at a historic hotel in downtown where we met 6 years before at a wedding. We rode to the reception in 1966 Chevy Malibu, which was the same car my mom rode to her wedding in, in 1973. Just like the Kenny Chesney song I had the white lace dress, red roses, and a blue Chevrolet.

kijip
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
For real? Spokane County Courthouse.

The wedding celebration? A garden club headquarters in Seattle, WA. We did the ceremony outside by the sundial and the reception indoors all at the same site.

arivecchi
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Got married in an old historic Catholic church in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. It was a weekend wedding and we had the reception at an outdoor terrace overlooking the ocean at the El Conquistador Hotel in Fajardo as well. It was a really small wedding and everyone stayed at the hotel for the entire Memorial Day weekend. It was a blast.

pb&j
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Sedona, Arizona, at Red Rock Crossing. We eloped - it was just the two of us, the officiant, his wife who took pictures, and some tourists. :D

Tondi G
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
we got married at a Private residence (rented) in Topanga Canyon, CA. It is a beautiful home and WOW has it gotten chic and WAY more expensive since we got married!

http://www.themountainmermaid.com/weddings.html

Our ceremony was in the garden poolside and the reception was inside the home. We still, 10 years later, have people tell us how nice our wedding was and how much fun they had!

g-mama
06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
We got married in downtown Annapolis, Maryland. It was beautiful!

ellies mom
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
We got married at a little weddding chapel in Portland and had a barbeque reception at a park.
We drove past the wedding chapel the other day and I was sad to see that it had closed.

LarsMal
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
We got married at the University of Maryland chapel. The reception was at an Inn out by BWI airport.

wellyes
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Jamaica, right at the resort, the minute we finished our vows we were already on our honeymoon!

Raidra
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
We made it legal at the JP's house in the town we lived in, but we officiated our own ceremony in my parents' backyard a few towns over, with just our immediate family attending. Afterwards, we all went out to Legal Seafoods to celebrate. The next day (July 4th) was our big 'reception' - a big BBQ in my parents' yard catered by a really great local seafood place. We had an enormous strawberry shortcake-type cake and most people went swimming in our pool. Everyone said it was the most relaxing and fun wedding they'd ever been to. :)

ETA: We were going to have a full-out medieval wedding at a local castle, complete with period food and costume, but we decided to get pregnant first when we realized how much a 'real' wedding would cost, and really tone down the wedding (we'd been living together for years anyway, the wedding was just a formality, really). The idea was that my parents (specifically, my mom) wouldn't mind giving up the chance for a big wedding if her first grandchild was on the way. That story makes everyone laugh now when I tell it.

bubbaray
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Shipwreck Beack, Kauai. Just DH and I. It ROCKED. You could not pay me enough money to have a "real" wedding ceremony & reception. Especially not after reading the other thread on kids and weddings. No thanks.

Corie
06-19-2009, 01:26 PM
We got married at Disney World and then spent the following week there
for our honeymoon. It was so much fun!!!

BabyMine
06-19-2009, 01:47 PM
We got married at the clerk of courts in Tampa, FL. We have yet to go our honymoon. On top of that my husband forgot the ring.

JMS
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Stone Harbor, NJ.

MelissaTC
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
We officially got married in the White Plains, NY courthouse. Later that year, we had our church ceremony in our Catholic parish and then had a 175 person reception at a Marriott hotel near the Laguardia Airport. We took off for our honeymoon the next morning.

maestramommy
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
We got married and had our reception at a church not connected to either of us. The reason we chose it was because it was big enough to hold all the guests, and was a pretty short drive from the airport. Important because we had a LOT of out-of-town family flying in.

gatorsmom
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
We had a lovely wedding in a 1000 year old church in the middle of a vineyard in Siena, Italy. We eloped.

ETA: we did have a nice old fashioned bar-b-que reception (planned completely by my MIL- I gave her free rein to plan it) at a ranch in Texas 3 weeks after we got back.

egoldber
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
We got married at the Krohn Conservatory in Eden Park in Cincinnati, OH. We had a lovely setting with no need to buy flowers. ;)

The reception was immediately following in the Conservatory. The fee to use the conservatory was minimal. Left to our own devices, we would have had about 60 people. MIL invited about 30 others, so we we made her cover the extra people that we would not have invited. Altogether it was about $5K (including my dress, off the rack, clearance model ;) ).

For our 20th anniversary (in 3 years!!) we want to do a vow renewal at WDW, but it will be more expensive than our wedding, so I dunno. I would love for one or both of my girls to get married at WDW.

newg
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
We got married in a Lutheran church, had our pictures taken at the Krohn Conservatory, and then had our reception on a river boat on the Ohio River...it was awsome....the boat toured up and down the ohio river right in front of the cincinnati skyline.

cvanbrunt
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
At the courthouse in San Antonio. DH was active duty at the time and three day waiting period is waived for military members. If were were married, the military would pay for my move to Omaha as well as DH ( we were living is separate cities). The actual wedding was a couple months later in downtown Indianapolis with the reception at the Stokely Mansion on a college campus nearby. I don't remember much about either. Such a blur.

katydid1971
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
We got married at a church outside of Santa Cruz CA then had our reception at the Sesnon house with sea views on June 26. The weather was perfect and we've enjoyed 10 happy years since. (Happy is the bride the sun shines on)

MelissaTC
06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
For our 20th anniversary (in 3 years!!) we want to do a vow renewal at WDW, but it will be more expensive than our wedding, so I dunno. I would love for one or both of my girls to get married at WDW.

We want to do the same thing. :) And I have the same hope as you. ;)

KpbS
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
We were married in the house DH grew up in. It is a 100 year old schoolhouse that was decorated with tons of red sunflowers and loads of wildflowers and others from SIL's garden, the current homeowner. The house sits on 10 acres in the country.

denna
06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
DH & I were married in Pismo Beach CA on the cliffs. We had a sunset wedding in front of a gazebo overlooking the Pacific. It was beautiful and picture perfect.
The funny thing is when DH & I were just dating (no plans on marriage whatsoever) we had drivien by a wedding happening on the cliffs in Pismo and both said how we thought that was such a cool way to be married. And low and behold a couple years later there we were. It was perfect. The reception really wasnt very special we had it on the local Air Force base in the club (very small wedding on a Sunday evening).

elektra
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
The oldest Catholic church in Kauai. :) Reception at an old sugar plantation. It was awesome!

s7714
06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Lake Tahoe, Nevada. In a chapel over looking the lake while snow was falling. :)

JTsMom
06-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Key West, on a pier overlooking the ocean. :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
We got married at a church outside of Santa Cruz CA then had our reception at the Sesnon house with sea views on June 26. The weather was perfect and we've enjoyed 10 happy years since. (Happy is the bride the sun shines on)

We got married in Aptos at the Seascape Resort! Near Santa Cruz in Aptos, CA.

HallsofVA
06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Though both our families were in Virginia, we were married in the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Atlanta (where we were living and working) with reception in the church's Hellenic Center. Honeymoon in Spain followed.

mom2binsd
06-19-2009, 07:05 PM
The first time (to satisfy INS/kept it a secret from family) in Old Town State Park in San Diego, the Park Ranger married us, his deputy took awesome pictures, reception just the two of us at Birdrock Beach with a bottle of wine and sunset.

The second time (same DH) church wedding in a beautiful stone Presbyterian Church where my parents were married in Ottawa with family and friends, small reception at a yacht club on the river 65 guests and lots of fun, no major issues, mishaps, just simple and fun. We had our picture taken with the minister in his office/at his desk exactly like a picture my parents had taken, as my mom had passed away many years before it was nice to have that connection to her on my wedding day.

almostamom
06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
We were married at an estate called Stonebridge Manor in Mesa, AZ. The ceremony was in the garden, the cocktail hour was around the pool, and the reception was in an outdoor pavillion. It was a beautiful location and exactly what I had always dreamed of.

Linda

LexyLou
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
we got married at a Private residence (rented) in Topanga Canyon, CA. It is a beautiful home and WOW has it gotten chic and WAY more expensive since we got married!

http://www.themountainmermaid.com/weddings.html

Our ceremony was in the garden poolside and the reception was inside the home. We still, 10 years later, have people tell us how nice our wedding was and how much fun they had!

That's beautiful. Do people really live in there or do they just rent it out?

We got married at the Claremont Country Club in the Oakland Hills, CA.

ThreeofUs
06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
We got hitched at an historic inn (Reynold's Tavern) in Annapolis, MD around Christmas. (I was in grad school in Chicago, DH was teaching in CA, and the next year held so many trips for us that it was either get married during the Christmas holidays or wait for a year and half.) We had a lunch reception there, and then an informal supper party at my mom's house.

We wanted to get married someplace warm, on a sailboat, but couldn't find a reasonably inexpensive way to get all of our families out on a warm boat.

graciebellesmomma
06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
We got "married" in Moorea, Tahiti and spent 23 days there on our BUDGET honeymoon. It was so romantic and dreamy with just the two of us, but not legal. That was December 26th, 2001.

We got married, legally, in Santa Cruz, California, at the lighthouse with my best friend and her husband. He married us on January 21st, 2002.

We had a wonderful, casual outdoor reception at the same friend's Dad's house in May, 2002. It was about 100 people. Dh's family came from Chicago area and my family and friends were all around the area. It was so beautiful. We had tons of Daisies in old glass canning jars....strings of lights, badminton, face painting for kids and a snow cone machine, so many sweet touches. I love to think about it. It was a bunch of perfect moments that created the most magical day.

lilycat88
06-19-2009, 11:13 PM
The Episcopal Cathedral (Christ Church Cathedral) in downtown Indianapolis on the circle. There was an anti-war protest going on on the other side of the circle (Soldiers and Sailors Monument). Lots of pedestrian and car traffic. It was fun. As my florist said, nothing attracts attention like a bride or a fire truck. Reception was at a local hotel where guests stayed and we had cocktails and dinner.

Neatfreak
06-19-2009, 11:40 PM
We got married by the harbour in Oban, Scotland ...

katydid1971
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
We got married, legally, in Santa Cruz, California, at the lighthouse with my best friend and her husband. He married us on January 21st, 2002.

WOW 3 Santa Cruz area weddings so far ;)

I am looking at a painting of the Santa Cruz light house right now, its over our couch...its one of my favorite places in the world.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-20-2009, 01:02 AM
We got married in the church I grew up going to. My mothers ashes are in the church's columbarium so that made it extra nice that she could kind of be there. The priest who watched me grow up married us and really liked dh. Our reception was a simple cake and punch reception in the church hall afterwards.

We went to vegas and the grand canyon (north rim) for our honeymoon. I liked our wedding but honestly if I had it to do over again I'd make it much smaller and more intimate. Maybe just super close family and friends and a simple summer dress for me and suit for dh. I really thing the whole thing got away from me. But the honeymoon was a blast.

mom2binsd
06-20-2009, 08:45 AM
We got married by the harbour in Oban, Scotland ...

One of my favourite places, my great aunt lived there and I visited twice, so lovely!

amldaley
06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Little Chapel of the West, Las Vegas, NV. We knew each other four days before we eloped to Vegas...more than 11 years ago.

amldaley
06-20-2009, 09:27 AM
The Episcopal Cathedral (Christ Church Cathedral) in downtown Indianapolis on the circle. There was an anti-war protest going on on the other side of the circle (Soldiers and Sailors Monument). Lots of pedestrian and car traffic. It was fun. As my florist said, nothing attracts attention like a bride or a fire truck. Reception was at a local hotel where guests stayed and we had cocktails and dinner.

I know that church! Lovely!

amldaley
06-20-2009, 09:57 AM
We got married in downtown Annapolis, Maryland. It was beautiful!

Where in Annapolis? We used to live up the road in Pasadena. Annapolis in one of the fewthings I miss from up there!

toothfairy
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Southern belle here! We got married in a morning ceremony inside an antebellum mansion in Nashville. (No hoop skirts or Civil War re-enactments, tho)

Amy

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
WOW 3 Santa Cruz area weddings so far ;)

I am looking at a painting of the Santa Cruz light house right now, its over our couch...its one of my favorite places in the world.

Me, too! SC is beautiful! I was born and raised in SF! I am in Flagstaff, AZ right now, kinda like SC as it is a hippiesque college town, albeit at 7,000ft! I see you are in Eugene. Next for us may be Portland , OR!

vludmilla
06-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Connecticut. It was a nice place but unfortunately I let my mom kind of bully me into having the wedding there. It had been the place where my sister had her wedding and she thought it "wouldn't be fair" if I had my wedding somewhere else. Makes sense right? (rolling eyes)

g-mama
06-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Where in Annapolis? We used to live up the road in Pasadena. Annapolis in one of the fewthings I miss from up there!

At the Loews Annapolis Hotel. We live in VA now but grew up 15 minutes from Annapolis.

Kitten007
06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Got married in Balboa Park/The Prado - San Diego, CA. We had the ceremony and sit down reception there. It was a beautiful San Diego sunny day! Honeymoon of course was at Disneyland!!!!!

http://www.balboaparkweddings.com/

Nooknookmom
06-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Courthouse in Chicago. Honeymooned in LA area b/c we were planning to move out here and needed to come scout the area for work/housing.

If I could to it over, I would have had a "small" ceremony w/ parents, siblings & grandparents, on the beach in Tybee Island, GA.

DietCokeLover
06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Little Chapel of the West, Las Vegas, NV. We knew each other four days before we eloped to Vegas...more than 11 years ago.

Wow! So nice to hear about a successful story like that!

hardysmom
06-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Jackson Hole, WY at St John's Episcopal Church (actually the old log chapel) right off the square.

New Years Eve

After the wedding, we took a horse drawn sleigh ride in the Elk Refuge. Pretty cool. The next day, everyone left and we stayed for another week.

Stephanie

StantonHyde
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
In a Quaker Ceremony at Log Haven Restaurant up Mill Creek Canyon outside of Salt Lake City. We did the wedding and the reception on the outdoor patio--minimal flower needs!! It was sort of big--130 people and I loved it.

The only snafu was that the canyon to the south was having a big brush fire so as we were driving on the interstate toward the canyon, all I could see was smoke. I had visions of having my wedding in the parking lot of a shopping center at the mouth of the canyon. DH saw the smoke and just thought, "it better not be Mill Creek Canyon--she will track down whoever started this and KILL them". As we got our pix taken by a stream, we were in a cloud of hatching mayflies and I kept shaking ashes off my dress (blowing over from the next canyon). Otherwise, it was awesome.

We did a wedding brunch/open presents the next day at my brother's house. And then we were off to Italy for our honeymoon--I still miss it!

gatorsmom
06-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Shipwreck Beack, Kauai. Just DH and I. It ROCKED. You could not pay me enough money to have a "real" wedding ceremony & reception. Especially not after reading the other thread on kids and weddings. No thanks.

:yeahthat: I could not agree more. We had originally started planning a big wedding in downtown Houston, TX. I had the church booked and a deposit on the reception hall. But my MOH developed an attitude as well as the best man. Throw in issues with relatives and we said forget it. My wedding day in Siena was beautiful and fun. To this day we still agree we dont' regret it a bit. And we had a fun reception afterwards when we got back.

pb&j
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
:yeahthat: I could not agree more. We had originally started planning a big wedding in downtown Houston, TX. I had the church booked and a deposit on the reception hall. But my MOH developed an attitude as well as the best man. Throw in issues with relatives and we said forget it. My wedding day in Siena was beautiful and fun. To this day we still agree we dont' regret it a bit. And we had a fun reception afterwards when we got back.

Yep, we eloped and then had a reception a few months later. The only thing I would have changed would be to have hired a real photographer (the officiant's wife took pics). Ironic, b/c DH is now a wedding photographer. It was really wonderful to just be able to focus on each other on our wedding day, and not have to deal with the million and one demands that come with having a "real" wedding.

WatchingThemGrow
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM

You beat me. We got married less than 3 mos from the day we met.

It was in the church we were both going to, although we met on match.com. It will be 4 years ago in August. A BUSY 4 years... We still go there. The reception was at the Country Club about 1.5 miles from our house, and the honeymoon started at the swanky Italian hotel 1 mile away from our house before 10 days in Kauai and Maui. You guys have some fun wedding destinations!

amldaley
06-21-2009, 11:24 AM
We got hitched at an historic inn (Reynold's Tavern) in Annapolis, MD around Christmas. (I was in grad school in Chicago, DH was teaching in CA, and the next year held so many trips for us that it was either get married during the Christmas holidays or wait for a year and half.) We had a lunch reception there, and then an informal supper party at my mom's house.

We wanted to get married someplace warm, on a sailboat, but couldn't find a reasonably inexpensive way to get all of our families out on a warm boat.

So there are two Annapolis weddings on here...I know the Reynolds Tavern...cozy at Christmas...how lovely!

Tammy
06-21-2009, 10:01 PM
We got married in Miami, Florida on a cruise. It was our wedding and honeymoon combined and we went by ourselves. Neither of us wanted a lot of people there so we decided to have our wedding in the ship's chapel, go on our cruise/honeymoon, and then we came back and had a big reception. We had the best time too.

tmphilo
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
For real: At a lawyer's office in Forest Grove, OR on New Year's Eve (the night before my DH left for Iraq) Only a few family members and close friends knew.

The big wedding: At Bridal Veil Lakes in Bridal Veil, OR a year and a half later when he was back from Iraq!
http://www.bridalveillakes.com/

ilfaith
06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
We were married at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston, NJ...in one of those over-the-top Jewish weddings you see in movies.

http://www.crystalplaza.com/home.shtml

Of course nobody does weddings like they do in the NYC area. A friend of mine from Atlanta went to his first NY Jewish-Italian wedding and noshed his way through the cocktail hour only to be astounded by the fact that there was a sit-down dinner afterward.

mom2binsd
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
In a Quaker Ceremony at Log Haven Restaurant up Mill Creek Canyon outside of Salt Lake City. We did the wedding and the reception on the outdoor patio--minimal flower needs!! It was sort of big--130 people and I loved it.

The only snafu was that the canyon to the south was having a big brush fire so as we were driving on the interstate toward the canyon, all I could see was smoke. I had visions of having my wedding in the parking lot of a shopping center at the mouth of the canyon. DH saw the smoke and just thought, "it better not be Mill Creek Canyon--she will track down whoever started this and KILL them". As we got our pix taken by a stream, we were in a cloud of hatching mayflies and I kept shaking ashes off my dress (blowing over from the next canyon). Otherwise, it was awesome.

We did a wedding brunch/open presents the next day at my brother's house. And then we were off to Italy for our honeymoon--I still miss it!

I love the Log Haven Restaurant!!! So gorgeous up there!