PDA

View Full Version : Freezer jam questions

DrSally
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
We just made from freezer jam yesterday (DS loved mashing the strawberries). I followed the receipe posted from allreceipes.com, but then when I opened the ball package of no sugar pectin, there were several differences.

I used 4 lbs. of strawberries to 1cup of unsweetened grape juice and added 1 cup of sugar. The directions said to dissolve the pectin in 1 cup of water and add the mixture to the berries. After putting in jars, it said to leave out on the counter for 24 hours and then freeze.

The ball receipe said to use all juice instead of water and it said to let set 24 hours in the fridge. I was worried since I know freezer jam can go bad if left sitting out. Was it ok to let it set up on the counter? I read the ball package about 10 hours after I made the jam, so I put it in the fridge after 10 hours.

At the 24 hour mark, it isn't really firm, but I know it can take 2 weeks to firm up. I hope mine firms up.

mskitty
06-19-2009, 09:07 PM
We just made from freezer jam yesterday (DS loved mashing the strawberries). I followed the receipe posted from allreceipes.com, but then when I opened the ball package of no sugar pectin, there were several differences.

I used 4 lbs. of strawberries to 1cup of unsweetened grape juice and added 1 cup of sugar. The directions said to dissolve the pectin in 1 cup of water and add the mixture to the berries. After putting in jars, it said to leave out on the counter for 24 hours and then freeze.

The ball receipe said to use all juice instead of water and it said to let set 24 hours in the fridge. I was worried since I know freezer jam can go bad if left sitting out. Was it ok to let it set up on the counter? I read the ball package about 10 hours after I made the jam, so I put it in the fridge after 10 hours.

At the 24 hour mark, it isn't really firm, but I know it can take 2 weeks to firm up. I hope mine firms up.

I grew up making the Sure-Jell low sugar strawberry freezer jam recipe and follow the recipe card which is 4 cups crushed fruit to 3 cups of sugar. Boil the pectin with 1 cup of water. Add to the crushed berries.

1) The volume of crushed fruit matters more than the starting weight.
2) My mom leaves it out for 24 hours to set. I usually leave it out overnight and then put 1 in the refrigerater with the rest going into the freezer before breakfast. Your 10 hours sounds good to me :)
3) Freezer jam tends to be more of a soft-set jam.... think more like a really thick ice cream topping, not solid like peanut butter.
4) Freezer jam is best made in single batches.

If it doesn't set up quite right, you'll still have some fabulous homemade ice cream or pancake topping!!!

mskitty

pb&j
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I always use the Ball Freezer Jam pectin. No boiling! 4 cups mashed strawberries mixed into 1.5 ups sugar and one packet of pectin. Sets up pretty quickly (instructions say let set 30 min at room temp), but like the PP said, is a little more soft set than commercial jam.

Generally speaking, though, I follow the recipe exactly as written on the package.

DrSally
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Thank you! I don't feel freaked about leaving it out on the counter for 10 hours now. I did see the ball freezer jam pectin at Walmart and wondered what the difference was. I will get that next time. It got so sticky in the pan that I had a hard time getting it all out and worried I wouldn't get enough pectin in the fruit. It was like not getting your rice krispies out of the pot and into the pan quick enough.

I feel better about the "set" too. I was totally thinking, this looks like a yummy icecream or waffle topping. So, I prob didn't do too bad this time. The allreceipes.com website was a little vague in that it said 1 cup juice and as much sugar as desired. It makes sense that the volume of mashed fruit matters more than the starting weight. Anyway, I think I'll try the Ball freezer jam pectin receipe next time.

Oh, and wouldn't you know it, on the way downstairs to the freezer, I dropped one jar (plastic), shattering it and splashing strawberry jam all over the floor. DS was very upset, he said "We just made that! Now we don't get to eat it all!" I know this is supposed to be an easy undertaking, but I'm not the most avid cook!