PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had bladder/sling surgery?

DeeEast
06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm scheduled for it for the end of August. We were planning on the end of July but after realizing I won't be able to swim for a while (?) afterwards, we rescheduled for as late in August as possible. Anybody have an idea of how long of a recovery this involves and what to expect?

What are the post-op restrictions? How long do they last? I read somewhere on-line that there's an 8 lb. weight lifting restriction for like 2 months??? I start bowling in the fall so that has me wondering. Any info will be appreciated.

JBaxter
06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Did you to any physical therapy first? I had some bladder issues before Jack and my Gyn sent me to a physical therapist he said he wouldnt do any surgery until I had at least 3 months of PT. He found that his results were much better with PT prior to surgery.

My cousin did have the surgery but shee didnt follow the restrictions and it didnt work.

HIU8
06-19-2009, 06:33 PM
My mother had that surgery 3 times. The first 2 had complications and didn't work. The third worked ok, but she still has issues. All of her surgeries were done 20 years ago though, so I'm sure they have made advances/changes to the surgery since then.

BabyMine
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I am also interested in hearing about this.

DeeEast
06-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Yeah, hoping to hear from someone who has had this surgery recently.

Percycat
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I strongly second the recommendation to try physical therapy first. Before I started treatment, I took some type of bladder control test and scored very poor. My dr prescribed physical therapy, at my request, but thought surgury would eventually be required because of my weak muscle tone. I went to 6 sessions (once a week). I had the option to go for 8 weeks, but it was December and honestly too hard to schedule. Plus, I felt guilty continuing the sessions because I did not do the exercises at home consistently. (6 weeks was the standard treatment; the additional two weeks were available because of my insurance plan.)

I am over-the-top thrilled with the results. My therapist used Beyond Kegels with biofeedback (or her modification). It was very helpful for me to see the progress I was making each week. When I ended sessions, I knew my muscles were still not as strong as they should be -- although significantly improved. What amazes me, is that they have continued to strengthen even though I am not in therapy anymore and do not do all of the exercises or any of the exercises regularly (I do the exercises, but not regularly and not in a disciplined manner).

I understand the Beyond Kegel method utilzes multiple muscles that affect pelvic floor strength and is more effective the kegels alone because of this approach. I have also read that Beyond Kegels with biofeedback is almost 90% effective.

Considering the significant post-op limitations and the potential for additionial surguries for a sling, it is really worth your time to explore physical therapy first.

Good luck.
angela