PDA

View Full Version : Knee problems - need good exercise for quads/hamstrings

L'sMommy
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
After DS was born my knees seem to hurt when I bend my knees. I've never had knee problems before. The pain gets worse when I do lunges and squats, which is my primary exercise for my upper legs. Is there anything else I can do that does not involve doing deep bends at the knee? I've been trying to use free weights at home to tone up again. I cancelled my gym membership when i was pregnant so I don't have access to strength training machines right now.

marie
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I had knee problems during my last pregnancy - once i hit about 170+ lbs :( And though i'm less than that now, i recently started getting the pain again so this is a very timely subject for me!

I went to an orthopedist who sent me for physical therapy - is that a possibility for you?

I was diagnosed with patellofemoral something or other, aka runner's knee. According to the Orthopedist, it is very common in women because our hips are wide so our femurs go into the knee joint at an angle. our kneecaps then don't track properly.

I ended up doing PT for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. It involved deep tissue massage on my IT band, which was incredibly tight (especially given the whole "loose ligaments during pregnancy" thing) as well as strenghtening exercises for my quads. The ones I remember which didn't include weight machines:
-Lying on one side, tie your two legs together (at the thigh area) with a stretchy band. Lift the upper leg.
-With back up against a wall, place one heel directly against the wall and place a ball between the back of your knee and the wall. Squish the ball by straightening the knee.

there was one other one that i can't remember. I did much more exercises on the weight machines (absolutely laughable at 36+ weeks pregnancy).

if you can see someone, i would recommend it. they'll look at your posture and check your pronation since that can come into play also.

good luck. it's no fun at all.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

MontrealMum
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
PT is something you should definitely do as well as see an orthopedic surgeon, but also, the number one thing for strengthening quads is cycling. I had problems for years - my genetic heritage and build + years of ballet caused eventual problems. I've had surgery on the knee that was worse, and been through tons of physio, but the cycling is what really helped/helps keep the pain at bay. Orthotics (for pronation/suppination) can help too. HTH!

lizajane
06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
how about a pilates video? they usually tell you what to do if you have bad knees, to alter the exercise.

ett
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I agree that you should go see a doctor who can then give you a prescription for PT (so that insurance will cover). I've always had knee pains and when to see a rheumatologist several months ago to determine whether it was arthritis (I had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in college). Fortunately, it was not, but I needed some PT to strengthen my knees.

brittone2
06-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I would also recommend a PT. It is difficult to suggest exercises without a thorough understanding of the cause of the pain, kwim? The only way to accurately identify the cause of your pain is to work with a professional, who can then prescribe exercises that address your specific situation.