PDA

View Full Version : Supplementing - silent reflux -Does Good Start help?

WatchingThemGrow
06-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Low supply issues are just annoying. DS2 is doing really well, and he's coming up on the 2 week mark this weekend! I'm having to supplement him a bit after most feedings for him to be satisfied and to gain weight. I hate that we have to but, it is our reality.

DD was a silent refluxer and got Zantac for a couple months. DS1 was a HUGE refluxer and drenched my clothing after several feeds each day. He was on Zantac for a good bit. Both of them were supplemented with Enfamil. DS2 is urping up and gobbling down something after several feedings, so I'm wondering about Good Start.

Has anyone changed from Enfamil to Good Start and seen a decrease in the amt. of reflux?

Swimfreak78
06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
We had to switch DS to Alimentum for the supplement because of his reflux. Wish you the best of luck in finding something that helps w.reflux.

jren
06-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Before we discovered DS's milk allergy, he was projectile vomiting. There would be a pool of spit-up about 3 feet away from him (w/ him sitting in his bouncy seat) and NONE on him. So weird! Anyway, once we figured out it was a milk allergy and switched him to Allimentum, he still had reflux but the spit up was more "local" - the volume did go down. So, to answer your question, it didn't help/cure the reflux, but did reduce the amount of spit-up he was having.

If you're not cutting out dairy, I wouldn't do Allimentum. But it wouldn't hurt to try out another brand of milk-based formula. I've heard that Similac can be more difficult to digest for some babies, not sure about Enfamil. I would think that if a formula was more difficult to digest, it could irritate an existing reflux condition, so makes sense to me to try at least. Good luck!