PDA

View Full Version : Front load or top load without agitator?

marit
06-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I though I was set on the front load washer/dryer from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11298074&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=3&lang=en-US

But today I saw a Whirlpool Cabrio at a friends house, and it looks like the best of both worlds:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11468123&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1

(I am assuming all Cabrio models are agitator-less?)

So which pair should I get?

Thank you!

Indianamom2
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, after MUCH looking and comparing models, I just had a new Maytag Bravos (very similar to the Cabrio) delivered yesterday. I haven't even used it yet, it's so new!

However I will say that in two or three completely different showrooms, when I asked about the differences between front loading (which I thought I was going to end up going with) and agitator-less models, each of the salespeople said that if they had to choose for their own homes they would go with the agitator-less models. They had no reason to say this as part of a sales pitch because the top-loading models were, in every case, cheaper.

They cited reasons like larger capacity (mine has the largest capacity available, I believe), less leaking, none of that mildew smell issue, etc.

In the end, capacity and price won me over. I frankly wasn't overly concerned with water conservation as either would be a huge improvement over my older models.

I'll have to let you know what I think after I've actually done a few loads of laundry. The only downside I've heard is the potential for clothes tangling, but honestly, my old top-loader tangled things, so I doubt I'll notice.

My Maytag is actually a steam washer with a sanitary cycle, and the dryer has steam features as well...just fyi that they are available in top loading models too.

Good luck.

Christina

Indianamom2
06-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh and actually, I'm not sure all Cabrio models are agitator-less. You might want to double check that.

Christina

ThreeofUs
06-20-2009, 10:39 AM
FWIW, I *hate* my Cabrio. It rips up clothing like crazy even on the gentlest cycles, and doesn't get things as clean. YMMV, but I would give mine to you in a second if I could get a decent washer in exchange.

Indianamom2
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Marit,

I just did a couple of loads of laundry with my Maytag Bravos and so far, have no complaints. It's really quiet, (although ours is in the basement so it doesn't really matter). I didn't have any trouble with tangling either...actually maybe less than with my old traditional top loader.

So, hopefully that will help a little. If I run into any problems, I'll let you know, but so far, so good.

Christina

lablover
06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I've had the new Maytag Bravos for a couple of months and I loooooove it.

ha98ed14
06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
So the clothes get all twisty and balled up from the spin cycle? I have read that in so many reviews...

ThreeofUs
06-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Mine tend to twist and then - I dunno - maybe act like scissors on each other. It's either that or the Cabrio grows teeth. I swear I follow instructions to always have mixed loads, etc., but this monster will rip the sedging right off a blanket and fray holes in new clothing.

I hate it with a passion, I swear.