PDA

View Full Version : I don't know why I keep thinking about this...

mommysammi
06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
This morning, I took DS to the mall to pick up something quickly. While I was looking for steak knives, he was diagonally behind me looking and touching some glass vases. He was about one foot away from me at the most so should he accidentally drop something, I'd catch it. BUT I know he was very careful. I know my son. Two, not one but two, women just had to say something. The first one kept on saying, "that's glass, that's glass." I didn't know she was talking to me until I looked up and answered, "oh, I know, thanks," very politely. The second woman said to me, "he's going to break that." I responded, "no he won't." Mind you, neither one of these women were the sales associates. Even the sales associates didn't say anything so what makes these women think they NEED to say something.

I've read other threads about this kind of unwanted comments so I understand that this kind of stuff happens. People like to be heard and generally in a "I know it all" kind of way. I just can't stop thinking about it. Maybe I felt judged but why should I care since these people mean absolutely nothing to me??? Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Who knows. Sorry, this probably should be in the b..t..ching post but I'm not angry, just can't seem to shake this off. I just need some loving. Thanks.

gatorsmom
06-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Were these women older? I've found that children make older people very nervous. I particularly noticed this with my mom. She was so much more laid back and as she got older she would watch things much more closely and you could tell she was holding her tongue. Same thing happens with my dad and my twins. He gets really nervous around them.

Maybe these women thought they were being helpful? But I agree that is sooo annoying. After all, what't the worst that could happen? He could break the dang vase. Not like the vase belonged to those ladies. I admit that this kind of incident would annoy me for quite awhile too. Give it some time and much more important things will occupy your attention. Because this really isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Phooey on nosey, annoying old biddies. :10:

Octobermommy
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Don't worry about it! Those fuddy duddys need to keep their unhelpful thoughts to themselves.

Kitten007
06-21-2009, 02:58 AM
You know those ladies have nothing better to do!! They need to get a life!

wellyes
06-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't blame the first woman for saying something, I don't mind when there's another pair of eyes watching out. But after you made it clear you had everything under control -- that is when the other lady should have shut. her. trap.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
My first child was like a bull in a china shop. I couldn't have taken him to a place like that. I mean not even taken him into that store. Something (many things) would have broken for sure.

I thought all kids were like that until I had my second. I could take her to a place like that and tell her "don't touch" and she wouldn't. I probably wouldn't even need to tell her, she would just intuitively know that things were breakable and not for her.

Until I had my second, I thought all kids were like my first. So those ladies probably have kids like my first and they just seriously do not comprehend that some kids can be trusted in a situation like that. And nothing you would say could convince them that it is okay because they just can't understand that a kid can be that way.

I used to get really nervous when I read about people who didn't childproof their house because their kids just didn't touch things. I probably even posted about how dangerous it was to trust a kid like that. :) But then I had one like that and realized that not all kids are like my first. :)

I can't wait to see what my third will be like. So far, she seems to be somewhere between the other two, but she's only 8 months old.

mommysammi
06-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I woke up this morning and almost forgot it happened. Ultimately, I don't understand why anyone ever feels like they should "advise" others about their kids unless asked to. I guess I was raised differently. I think if I saw a toddler who may be in a dangerous situation, I would definitely go over and help him out but I would never ever "demand" the mother to do something about it. I'd say something like, "hey little buddy, that object looks cool huh" and get the parent's attention that way. Only the parent knows their child best. If I knew DS would break something, never in my right mind would I have taken him with me.

Thanks again.

kransden
06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
A lot of times parents don't realize their child is touching something breakable. If I had seen your DC, I would have probably said something like "Be careful sweetie that's glass." Just to let you know he was touching it since you couldn't see him directly. It's just an FYI, not to make you feel bad, or at least in my case it is :).

egoldber
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
And nothing you would say could convince them that it is okay because they just can't understand that a kid can be that way.

True. If my second child had been my first I would have been convinced of that myself!

I would have probably said something like "Be careful sweetie that's glass." Just to let you know he was touching it since you couldn't see him directly. It's just an FYI, not to make you feel bad, or at least in my case it is

I say stuff like that all the time. I also don't mean it to make the mom feel bad, more in a "doing my part to be part of the village" kind of way. :)

What annoys me no end is when I am in the library with my kids. My older one is happily perusing the aisles or reading books sitting on the sofa. I run interference with my younger and I am RIGHT THERE and the librarian gives me a hard time. She is THREE inches away from me. What do they think she is going to do?

mommy111
06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Drives me nuts that people do that. If the mom is busy with another child, I can understand. But if I'm looking the other way and feel comfortable enough to have my child running loose, obviously I trust him/her.......and if the trust is misplaced and he/she breaks something, well mom will pay for it and move on and lesson learned for mom and child.....I HATE HATE HATE busy bodies. Also the older ladies who tell you at places of worship to not fidget/not walk away/not run/close your eyes etc etc etc. As long as you are quiet and not disturbing them, what do they care?

KpbS
06-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Perhaps they said something b/c if the vase did slip away from him and break it could cut him pretty badly b/c it was glass. That is the only reason I would say something. I would assume that you knew he was touching the vases and that you were comfortable w/ that and ok with buying one if it was accidentally damaged.