PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your Train Table.

GavinsMommy
06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
I've seen the Circo ones, the PBK ones (my nephew has this one and loves it, but, it's a little pricey for us), and the Imagination (wrong name, I think) one, and the Melissa & Doug but, I'm trying to see which one is the best.

My son is 20 months, 35 inches tall.
I've read a lot online about the Thomas table, but, I think those are pricey.

Any help or ideas you can give would be wonderful!!!

endlessheather
06-22-2009, 12:53 AM
We have a Nilo table and love it. II like the height of it better than being so low to the ground. The boys use it for so many things other than trains and I like that we can even get taller legs in the future for it. I like the playmat for it but we also leave that off a lot and use it for puzzles / crafts etc. I looked and looked at tables before this one. (I also really like the look of the Land of Nod tables but not the price and this table is in the playroom anyhow so it didn't bother me.)

Kyras mom
06-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Another vote for the Nilo table. As the PP said, it is a little taller, and very well built, so it will last many years.

kcimato
06-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Still another vote for the Nilo table. It's well made and can be used for everything. The bins that go underneath are great.

ohiomom1121
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Love our Nilo too!!!!!!!!

BeachBum
06-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Nilo here.

hillview
06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Nilo!
/hillary

hellokitty
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I will be the weirdo and just tell you to NOT get a train table at all. My kids are train obsessed, we have like 5 different types of train sets... The train tables are too small, my kids like to sprawl out their train set on the floor. It's a waste of $ and space IME to bother getting a train table. One of those things that we thought we HAD to get, that I have learned we should not have gotten.

brittone2
06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
We've been pretty happy with our Kidkraft from Costco.

If we had more space, I'd go with a bigger Nilo table.

I love having trundles for storage, so I'd personally factor that into any decision I made.

o_mom
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
We also love our KidKraft from Costco. It has had a bunch of use and not just with trains. We use it for the Shake n' Go Speedway, the Dollhouse, Little People, etc. They use it with trains as well, though the older ones are moving away from it and on to the floor. We have had it for 3 years and it is used all the time. The storage trundles are great.

katydid1971
06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I will be the weirdo and just tell you to NOT get a train table at all. My kids are train obsessed, we have like 5 different types of train sets... The train tables are too small, my kids like to sprawl out their train set on the floor. It's a waste of $ and space IME to bother getting a train table. One of those things that we thought we HAD to get, that I have learned we should not have gotten.

:yeahthat:

I put the trains into a box at the end of the day. :)

KrisM
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
We have the Kidkraft one and have dishpans underneath for storage.

As for whether to get it or not, I think it'll depend on the age of the kid a lot. We got it when DS1 was 2 and he used it daily for about 1.5-2 years. AT first, it was great because he could walk around the table with the trains rather than crawling around on the floor. With the crawling, he'd knock them over easily. On the table, a layout would be up for 2 weeks with no mishaps. But around 4 or so, he started enjoying making the layout more than playing with the trains. So, the tracks moved to the floor and we had a new, huge, layout daily.

Now, at 5, the train table is in his bedroom holding 3 marble runs :). It's big, but it's nice to have the room and the flat surface.