PDA

View Full Version : Just 'cause I'm nosy...

ha98ed14
06-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Those of your with same gender twins (or more!), do you think you ever mixed them up and didn't know it? Did you ever catch yourself wondering days later if this baby was really "Joey" and the other one was "Bobby"? I'm sure a million people ask you this. I know better than to ask someone on the street, but not an anonymous message board! ;)

fivi2
06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Do you mean - did we name baby A Alice and baby B Beth, and is it possible that at some point Alice became Beth and no one realized it? Sure, it is possible, but not likely...

The hospital tagged mine as they came out. They were each in their own isolette in the NICU. By the time they came home, one had a pretty prominent hemangioma. So, I am pretty sure they are who I think they are ;) But, since I didn't have a plan for who got which name, it wouldn't really be a big deal if Alice turned into Beth in the early days, if that makes sense... (of course, those aren't their real names :) )

eta: as the other poster said, I think a lot of people leave the hospital tags on until they have a pretty foolproof way of telling them apart.

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Not a mom of multiples but I remember that my friend color coded her twins because she nearly mixed them up after the left the hospital. So, one twin always wore blue and the other green. I know another set that kept the hospital wrist bands on for a long time. eta- I know a few others that were ok because one baby had something to distinguish them (scar...)

Beth

twowhat?
06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
My girls are fraternal but we left the hospital tags on until we were certain we could tell them apart.

My ped had a funny story about one of his patient's kids - identical twin girls. They put a bow in one girl's hair to tell them apart. One day grandma was doing baths and lost track of which baby had the bow in her hair! He said the grandma was distraught and to this day they don't know which one was Baby A and which was Baby B. They also switched to using nail polish:) Poor grandma!!

Melaine
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I had my fears when they were newborns. We painted Baby A's toenail red just to keep track for sure, but I never felt really really scared that I would confuse them (just temporarily switch them or something).

mamaoftwins
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
The boys are fraternal and looked different from birth, so no from me. But, I'm friends with a mom of identical twin girls, they're 15 now. They were born in Colombia, and my friend is certain that they mixed them up after their birth. To this day, she isn't sure that the one she calls "L" is really the one she named L and that "M" is really M.

caheinz
06-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Hmmm, no. Not yet anyways.

mom22
06-27-2009, 11:05 AM
My girls are identical- we kept hospital bands on until they were 2.5 weeks old and my "oldest" (they were born in the same minute) got her toenails paited in the hospital. She still has her toenails painted to this day! They are almost 15 months.

At first, there was a real concern that we would not be able to tell them apart. Now, my DH and I can (almost) always tell them apart and usually the nanny can (although sometimes I come home and they are in the wrong crib. :ROTFLMAO: ) But, no one else can tell them apart, and I know a pediatrician in my city who has ID twins also and accidentally mixed hers up when they were sick and double dosed ones medicine. I figured if it could happen to a Dr., it could sure happen to me, so I'm real careful.

But when someone spots the toenail polish we get funny looks!

SammyeGail
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
My sister had identical twins (23 now) and they had painted toenails :). Even though they were identical, they did have a very slight facial difference that the family knew them apart. As late teenagers I couldn't tell them apart anymore, that was fustrating. Our family has drifted and we don't see each other often.

My boys look nothing alike, one looks just like my Dad and the other looks just like my FIL. Both exactly like their grandfathers, it was a bit weird, it made me secretly wonder 'what did they do at that fertiltiy clinic...' LOL!! i was relieved when their eye color came thru, at least those weren't the same!

My sister for the longest time joked that it looked like I grabbed 2 babies out of the nursery at the hospital. I still don't find any humor in that, maybe its just me.

hobie
07-01-2009, 03:10 PM
My guys a ID, but they have always had slight differences to tell them apart. They had TTTS, so "A" was bigger than "B", and "A" still has a couple of lbs on "B" to this day.

mikeys_mom
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Ours are fraternal but do look similar, especially when they were first born. We kept hospital tags on them until we were able to tell the diffrence. I think it took about 2 weeks. No, I am pretty sure they never got mixed up.