PDA

View Full Version : To those who use the Ikea plates/bowls...

mm123
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Just curious, for those of you who use those small colored plastic Ikea plates and bowls for your DC- do you use them with hot food, or put them in the microwave? I notice on the bottom, it says 'microwave safe'- are they really? I thought you're not supposed to put ANY plastic in the microwave.

Neatfreak
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't put any plastics in the microwave, even if they say "microwave safe". That's just my preference. I do serve my DD heated food in the bowls and on the plates. I don't know if everyone here would call their contents warm or hot, though - that's hard to judge with words alone! Cool enough to eat, I guess?

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't put any plastics in the microwave, even if they say "microwave safe". That's just my preference. I do serve my DD heated food in the bowls and on the plates. I don't know if everyone here would call their contents warm or hot, though - that's hard to judge with words alone! Cool enough to eat, I guess?

Where's my "yeah that" smiley? Ah well, I agree, I don't microwave on plastic regardless of the items saying it's ok. Just a personal comfort thing.

Beth

DebbieJ
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
:yeahthat:

(although I do put some plastics in the micro, I don't put any of ds's plates/bowls in the micro)

MontrealMum
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Same here. I heat up on an adult plate (ceramic) and transfer to an Ikea plate to serve to DS.

alirebco
06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Same here. I heat up on an adult plate (ceramic) and transfer to an Ikea plate to serve to DS.

I do the same. I don't heat any plastic in the microwave, even the so called safe kind. I'm actually trying to find an alternative to these Ikea plates - something that isn't plastic but not super breakable.

twowhat?
06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I microwave them and they are fine. Granted, they are only in the microwave for 15-20 seconds because it's a small amount of food to heat up. But they are polypropylene and so they are BPA-free. I also run them through the dishwasher, top rack and they are fine (the utensils are fine in the bottom rack but I'd put the plates/bowls/cups in the top only).

Ideally I'd do what PPs do - heat up in ceramic or glass and transfer, but I just don't have time:)