PDA

View Full Version : Milk allergy questions

left210
06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
DS is a little over year old. He has been on whole milk for about a month. When we switched to whole milk his stools have been very loose and mushy and he hasnt had a normal stool since he started whole milk. At first I just thought it was his digestive system adjusting to the milk. So I look up milk allergy today and see that he has lots of symptoms like eczema, constant runny nose, respitory problems, etc. which he has had since was about 3 months old. I call the dr. office today to ask about it and they said the loose stools were probably because he was drinking too much milk. I am going to keep a journal of how much he is taking so I can see if it is out of the recommended 20-28 oz. per day which I do not think it is. So my question is if he took milk based formula all this time could he be having a reaction to whole milk?

HIU8
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
My DD took milk based formula and we never had issues--except exema that I didn't realize was due to the milk in the formula. However, when she switched to whole milk she would constantly get sick and have diahrea. We switched her to soy and the same thing. She drinks rice milk and is fine now. However, she can eat milk products--yogurt, ice cream etc... without any issues. She cannot drink a glass of milk or eat some cheeses without getting sick though. The ped thinks she actually is lactose intolerant (not a far fetched idea since I am as well).

left210
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
So did you ever try lactose free whole milk? We switched to that yesterday but as of this morning he is still having bad diarrhea. How long did it take for your child to stop with the diarrhea and eczema clear up when you switched to rice milk?

BeachBum
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Usually it is the protein in milk, not the lactose that kids have a problem with. It takes 2 full weeks for the milk to get totally out of the system.
But, for us when I stopped with dairy I noticed a dramatic different in my DS within 2 or 3 days.

I'm sorry to say, but those symptoms do seem very, very typical of a milk allergic child. I'm surprised your Ped didn't suggest it too you. Because he could have been reacting to the milk formula all along and you just didn't know that is what was happening.
I would stop with the milk immediately and see if you notice any difference. Your best chance of your child to outgrow the allergy is to eliminate exposure.

Rice milk doesn't have the fats etc that you really need from a milk. You should google around and see what people suggest for your "trial" period. But you could just up the solids and add extra water. My Ped gives almond milk to her own allergic kids. But if I were you I'd be hesitant to add a new product into the mix durning your trial period.

HIU8
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, DD has diahrea from that as well. She has been tested and is not "allergic" to milk though.

left210
06-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Usually it is the protein in milk, not the lactose that kids have a problem with. It takes 2 full weeks for the milk to get totally out of the system.
But, for us when I stopped with dairy I noticed a dramatic different in my DS within 2 or 3 days.

I'm sorry to say, but those symptoms do seem very, very typical of a milk allergic child. I'm surprised your Ped didn't suggest it too you. Because he could have been reacting to the milk formula all along and you just didn't know that is what was happening.
I would stop with the milk immediately and see if you notice any difference. Your best chance of your child to outgrow the allergy is to eliminate exposure.

Rice milk doesn't have the fats etc that you really need from a milk. You should google around and see what people suggest for your "trial" period. But you could just up the solids and add extra water. My Ped gives almond milk to her own allergic kids. But if I were you I'd be hesitant to add a new product into the mix durning your trial period.

Yes I am surprised my pediatrician didnt put all the symptoms together to make the diagnosis. He has been treated for all of them - eczema, wheezing, runny nose, recent hospitalization for what was diagnosed as asthma. It is like they just look at each problem at each individual visit but dont go back and put it all together - very frustrating. I am going to stop the milk today. I went ahead and called the allergy doctor and have an appt for this Thursday. I will have to check into what to give him in the meantime because he will need something. Maybe rice or almond milk. Thanks for your help.

left210
06-26-2009, 01:35 PM
My son was allergy tested and he is allergic to milk, eggs, nuts & fish along with grasses, trees, etc. We have been on rice milk for a few days. It does not seem to satisfy him. I have heard people say it is just like sugar water because it doesnt provide any nutrients for them. I am buying the enriched version that has some added vitamins and stuff but does anyone have any recommendations on what to give him. We used to give him a sippy cup before bed of whole milk and he would sleep through the night. Now he will not go through the night with the rice milk.