PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or is this a crazy price for braces?!

julevizamom
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Just took DD1 for her pre-braces orthodontic visit (she's already been through the palette expander, spacer, and retainer phases) and found out they cost $6075!! Of course, insurance will pay some of that, but we still have to foot the bill for almost $4000 ourselves. Is this what they cost all over the place, or do I need to start shopping around orthodontists? We really like him, and woud hate to have to switch, but if it will save me, like, $1000, it might be an option.

Kymberley
06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd go for a consultation somewhere else just to compare. That seems a little steep, but that could be because your DD needs $6075 worth of work. You can request copies of any x-rays taken at this office to take with you to another office for the consult, so you don't get double charged.

BabyMine
06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
How long are the braces going to be on?

SDGal83
06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lab fee (what the dentist actually pays) for braces is $800, and for invisalign it is $1500. Anything above the lab fee is what the dentist pockets. You can get braces for much cheaper.

brittone2
06-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I forget what I paid now...had mine about 3-3.5 years ago. I didn't have a super complex case, but I think mine were about 6K. I started w/ invisalign and got most of the way with those. I had one persistent issue we couldn't get through w/ invisalign (knew this was possible going into it), and I had to finish w/ several months in traditional braces.

DH had pretty mild needs and did 12 trays of invisalign to fix it. I think he paid about half of what I paid.

In our case, price for invisalign vs. regular braces, etc. didn't matter. THe pricing at our ortho was based on the length of time projected until completion of treatment.

smilequeen
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lab fee (what the dentist actually pays) for braces is $800, and for invisalign it is $1500. Anything above the lab fee is what the dentist pockets. You can get braces for much cheaper.

Not really. The dentist/orthodontist has to pay the assistants and the rest of their team who work with you. You will return many times for adjustments. There is quite a bit of other overhead that we pay. We definitely do not pocket everything but the lab fee.

Anyway, the price sounds about right. It will depend on where you live. Even in the midwest though, that sounds close unless it's a very short case.

katydid1971
06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I think my parents paid about $5K 25+ years ago for my braces (I was in them FOREVER!!!!) So with inflation $6K seems about right. But of course a second opinion never hurt anyone.

lorinick
06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
I would shop around. My oldest is doing now what you have already done Phase1 which was not covered under my plan. I went to one ortho who said 4500 and the next one I went to was 2700 for the same thing. That a huge difference. Since I'm a dental Asst. I know both are good. So shop around for sure and ask friends and your dentist for more referrels.

brittone2
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Not really. The dentist/orthodontist has to pay the assistants who work on you, every time you come in for adjustments. The dentist has to pay for all the bills associated with running a practice. They do not pocket everything but the lab fee. You are paying for the braces and the time it will take to place them and adjust them.

Anyway, the price sounds about right. It will depend on where you live. Even in the midwest though, that sounds close unless it's a very short case.

Agreeing. My ortho also does ongoing retainer checks every 6-12 months, etc. and that price is all included. I have my braces off now but have one pesky small gap on my lowers that could be fixed with a metal/plastic retainer (I currently use an all plastic retainer at night). That would also be included in the price if I choose to go through w/ it. So they've used 3 different system on me, kwim? Invisalign, regular braces (ceramic brackets), and then my upper plastic retainer was custom made for me in house (I use invisalign as a retainer on my lowers) and then potentially one more retainer down the road if I want my small gap closed. Oh, and I also have a permanent bar on the lingual side of my uppers (had a tooth w/ some rotation prior to ortho, so we don't want to take any chances with it rotating again)...which is why I have a special in house retainer for my uppers to fit around that thing.

An ortho also has to factor in broken wires/emergency calls, etc. as well as the regular, routine visits. There were times I came in for an adjustment as scheuled, and then we had to tweak or fix something a day or two later. Or I'd come in as scheduled for Invisalign but we'd decide I should do a few extra days or a week and then come in for a recheck. Those extra appts are all time/resources out of their pocket.

It was expensive, but I felt like they spent a lot of time with me. and there are definitely more difficult cases out there than I had!

BabyMine
06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I got mine off last year. For about a year of service was around 2K.

daniele_ut
06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I would definitely go for more than one consultation. I went to 3 different orthodontists (NOT dentists who practice orthodontics) and the prices varied from $3000 - $4500. This was about 7 years ago. I went with the one in the middle and had my braces for 2 years. My adjustments were monthly and never lasted more than 15 minutes in the chair.

Dh, OTOH, just finished treatment with Invisalign and his treatment was right around $3000.

AnnieW625
06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
No I think that is probably what it costs these days, however it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. Way back in 1991 when I got my braces put on and had them on for two years it cost about $2500 IIRC and it would've been an extra $1000 or so had I wanted the clear ones. The initial quote was for braces 18 mos. plus a bottom retainer that attached to the bottom teeth, and a regular retainer for my top teeth once the braces came off. Well one time I went in some how the drs. office didn't put the right rubberbands and it loosened everything up again so I ended up having to have my braces on for an extra six months. In the end I was very happy with the results. I wore the retainer on the bottom until I was 19 or 20 and then the one on the top until I was 22 or so. I also went back to the dentist for retainer checks almost the entire time I was wearing mine so I definitely feel and my parents feel they got their monies worth.

pinkmomagain
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I think that sounds about right. I think my braces are costing a bit over $5000.

blisstwins
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
My friend is an orthodontist in a not so affluent area and she charges about 4k for braces. She said braces in my area, which is crazy affluent, run closer to 10k. I would shop around.

smiles33
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
DH is an orthodontist and I know his fees vary depending on numerous factors, including complexity of the case and length of treatment. As blisstwins pointed out, geographic differences also occur due to market expectations. In a high-income area, orthodontists can get away with charging more. DH's classmate regularly charges $9K per patient and only works 3 days/week because he can get away with that. DH works in a middle class area so his normal fees are closer to $5K.

As you evaluate other orthodontists, keep in mind:

1) The experience/proven results of each orthodontist. Some orthodontists may charge you less just to get you in the door and then tack on fees later or deliver less than ideal results. Do they have proven results? Can you talk to past patients?

2) The office vibe. Is it an assembly line mentality (move the patients in and out as quickly as possible)? Or do patients actually establish a rapport/relationship with their orthodontist? DH says he much prefers the "family friendly" culture his office has because it's more fun and fulfilling. He chats w/patients and remembers past conversations/hobbies. To him, the lower income is worth it because that's what makes the job enjoyable. Otherwise, it's just like any other job where you punch in/punch out if you go with the assembly line mentality some of his competitors employ.

Good luck!

hollybloom24
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
About $7,000 in metrowest Boston.

I think much depends on where you live.