PDA

View Full Version : How much for neighborly peace?

Sillygirl
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
We had a big storm and a big branch from our maple fell in our neighbors back yard. DH used his chain saw to cut it up - the neighbors helped. They told him their landscaper would clear up the big pile of twigs/leaves/etc. But now she comes over to say her landscpaers won't be around for a month. So her boys are loading it onto a trailer, taking it to the dump, and it will cost me eight cents a pound. And I'm pretty sure that any tree problem that happens over on their side of the fence is their problem. It irks me that her assumption all along has been it's my mess to clean up or pay for, and to have this presented to me as a done deal. OTOH, we're both here for a long time, and her husband and I are colleagues.

I think I'll let it go. But still irked. And waiting for the bill from the dump.

deannanb
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
have they already taken it to the dump?
I'd mention to her that you could find an alternative to the dump -
free firewood on freecycle or craigslist? - let someone else come and pick it up for free

do you have bulk trash pickup once a month?
put it in front of your house and let the trash people pick it up

and yes.... if it is on her side of the fence it is her problem!

blisstwins
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know if this varies by state or town, but I have been having some neighbor issues of my own. I actuallly do think you are responsible if it is your tree. If that's the case then they are being quite nice to help rather than scream and curse you out (as my neighbors do).

Sillygirl
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
have they already taken it to the dump?
I'd mention to her that you could find an alternative to the dump -
free firewood on freecycle or craigslist? - let someone else come and pick it up for free

do you have bulk trash pickup once a month?
put it in front of your house and let the trash people pick it up

and yes.... if it is on her side of the fence it is her problem!

The trash companies say it's too big for them. We're too small a town for freecycle or craigslist. And the firewood has already been taken - this is the smaller branches. It was a big chunk of tree.

Google lawyer confirms - their side, their problem.

I think I'll write a check for the dump fee and send it with a nice note, inviting them to prune any thing they want on their side of the property line, since it's their legal responsibility. That way we head off any future problems. Blisstwins, I'm sorry you have awful neighbors. We've had them in the past and I'll do quite a lot to keep the peace.

lizajane
06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
The trash companies say it's too big for them. We're too small a town for freecycle or craigslist. And the firewood has already been taken - this is the smaller branches. It was a big chunk of tree.

Google lawyer confirms - their side, their problem.

I think I'll write a check for the dump fee and send it with a nice note, inviting them to prune any thing they want on their side of the property line, since it's their legal responsibility. That way we head off any future problems. Blisstwins, I'm sorry you have awful neighbors. We've had them in the past and I'll do quite a lot to keep the peace.

i can ask my sis about your town, specifically if you want. (attorney.)

happy2bamom
06-22-2009, 07:50 PM
We live in Michigan. We had a big oak tree fall onto our neighbor's shed and smash it. Both (ours and theirs) insurance companies said that it is their responsibility (even though it was our tree). I felt horrible about it, but the rules are the rules!

Sillygirl
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Liza - sending you a PM.

trales
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
We went through a tree issue. Your side of property your problem. Their side of property, their problem. DH is a lawyer.

TwinFoxes
06-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't know if this varies by state or town, but I have been having some neighbor issues of my own. I actuallly do think you are responsible if it is your tree. If that's the case then they are being quite nice to help rather than scream and curse you out (as my neighbors do).

From what I understand, if it's an act of God, like a storm, the owner of the tree is not responsible. But if it's an improperly cared for tree, the owner is responsible. But I'm not an attorney, it's just what I understand.

Corie
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
We live in Michigan. We had a big oak tree fall onto our neighbor's shed and smash it. Both (ours and theirs) insurance companies said that it is their responsibility (even though it was our tree). I felt horrible about it, but the rules are the rules!

I have to admit, if this were my big oak tree, I would feel absolutely
horrible that MY tree fell onto my neighbor's property and smashed their
shed.
I just read this to my DH and we would buy our neighbors a new shed.

This is just how we would handle this situation.

DrSally
06-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Sometimes after a storm, the city will pick up branches if they're cut up. Do they have anything like that where you live?

BabyMine
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
How about splitting the cost? I know you are in the right but peace is priceless.

sste
06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
How much money are we talking about? Is this eight bucks or something?? I would certainly let anything under 50 go without thinking twice for a neighbor; when you add colleague too I would probably increase that to $75 or $100 . . .

mommy111
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I would, quite frankly, just let it go if it were an insignificant amount. If it is likely to be a financial burden to you or your family, in that situation I would offer to split the cost.
BTW, I am intrigued by you dopamine siggie....care to elaborate? I have no idea what resetting your dopamine levels does.

Sillygirl
06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm going to pay for it because I agreed to - I am just irked that she basically came over and presented me with the bill when it is really her responsibility. I will invite her to trim (at her expense) any overhanging branches that she's worried about since any damage claims will go on her homeowner's insurance. We get a lot of storms.

Mommy111, David Kessler's book "The End of Overeating" talks about how we are conditioned to overeat by the salt-sugar-fat triumvirate that manufacturers and restaurants load into their foods. By eating mindfully and stopping the conditioned responses, you can reset the reward pathways in your brain. I've lost sixteen pounds in about a month and truly haven't felt hungry while doing it. So that's the siggie. Not a diet, but a more reasonable way of life.

mommy111
06-23-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm going to pay for it because I agreed to - I am just irked that she basically came over and presented me with the bill when it is really her responsibility. I will invite her to trim (at her expense) any overhanging branches that she's worried about since any damage claims will go on her homeowner's insurance. We get a lot of storms.

Mommy111, David Kessler's book "The End of Overeating" talks about how we are conditioned to overeat by the salt-sugar-fat triumvirate that manufacturers and restaurants load into their foods. By eating mindfully and stopping the conditioned responses, you can reset the reward pathways in your brain. I've lost sixteen pounds in about a month and truly haven't felt hungry while doing it. So that's the siggie. Not a diet, but a more reasonable way of life.
Where is the open mouth jaw dropping to floor smiley when you need it? 16lbs in 1 month?!?!?! I am soooo looking for that book. Thank you for elaborating!

ha98ed14
06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
We went through a tree issue. Your side of property your problem. Their side of property, their problem. DH is a lawyer.

Question: Given that the above is true, then does the neighbor have the right to cut or trim any branches from bushes or trees planted in your yard that that extend into their yard? Before it falls? Or only after it is a problem?

cvanbrunt
06-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Question: Given that the above is true, then does the neighbor have the right to cut or trim any branches from bushes or trees planted in your yard that that extend into their yard? Before it falls? Or only after it is a problem?

Our neighbor had a row of trees right along the property line that had grown over and branches were scraping our roof and hanging over our custom gutters. We had them cut back as far as possible, right back to the property line. We missed one tree and one bad storm later, crushed gutter. Our responsibility. Do it before there's a problem!

Snow mom
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes, you have the right to trim branches that overhang your property. I wouldn't recommend just cutting off the branches at your property line if neighborly relations are important to you. It's perfectly reasonable to cut overhanging branches in a way similar to how you would have your own trees pruned.

o_mom
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Yes, you have the right to trim branches that overhang your property. I wouldn't recommend just cutting off the branches at your property line if neighborly relations are important to you. It's perfectly reasonable to cut overhanging branches in a way similar to how you would have your own trees pruned.

:yeahthat:

I would also add that if your pruning kills their tree you can be liable for damages (for a large tree that can be over $1K between the cost for removal, replacement and loss of property value), so it is almost always best to have a reputable tree care company do the trimming if it is more than a very basic job.

ShanaMama
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Wow, Katie. :bighand: I am very interested in that book. DH is 6'4 and obese. Although he has better eating habits than I do his knowledge of nutrition is nill. He thinks carbs are the best thing for you because they give you energy! I am off to order the book.
Sorry for the hijack- I just couldn't not respond to that.
Good luck with your neighbors. If I were you I'd pay, unless it comes out to a prohibitive amount. I have horrible neighbors and I'd pay to keep the peace with nice ones!

Sillygirl
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Grrrrr - the trailer is loaded with pine branches. Did I mention our tree is a maple? I am NOT paying for all their yard waste disposal.

And our insurance agent confirms - in our state, the claim is submitted by the person whose property is damaged, not the tree owner.

mamicka
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Grrrrr - the trailer is loaded with pine branches. Did I mention our tree is a maple? I am NOT paying for all their yard waste disposal.

And our insurance agent confirms - in our state, the claim is submitted by the person whose property is damaged, not the tree owner.

It sounds to me like they're counting on you just going along & not asking questions. If you can do it tactfully, I'd not pay & explain why.

I finally got that book from the library & I've read the first chapter. I'm very intrigued - thanks for recommending it. I'd love to lose 16 lbs in a year let alone a month - congrats!

DrSally
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM

That's not fair and would really irritate me. It could be that they're planning on paying their part, but maybe not. I'd clear it up beforehand and ask if they're planning on paying for their trimmings.

Ceepa
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM

I'd stroll over while the trailer is still there and casually mention that it makes sense to take everything over to the dump at one time and you guess they'll just weigh out the different branches separately. That puts them on notice that you know about the pine.