PDA

View Full Version : Scared by a weird guy in a parking lot.

Carrots
06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I was buckling DD into her carseat this afternoon after shopping for dinner at a small store. DD was protesting being strapped down so I was talking to her and making funny faces at her.

Once she was settled I popped out of the rear passenger side of the car and noticed a man on the other side of the car looking at me as he slowly walked past my car. He was about 30 feet away, walking (i.e., no car), wearing a Red Sox hat and a backpack. I didn't think much of it since I was just acting a little crazy. He was normal looking, aside from the fact that it was pouring out and he was walking and wearing sunglasses.

As I rounded the back of the car to get into the driver's seat he shouted to me "How old is she?". I am somewhat wary when it comes to strangers, especially when DD is around, but I replied quickly, "1" thinking that would be the end of it. He then asked if she is my only child.... Now, I was searching for the handle to my door making sure he stayed his distance. I answered quickly, "Yup" and turned to get away. Then he asked "And how old are you?" I whipped around and with a said curtly, "That is NONE of you business" and jumped into my car and drove away.

Writing it out makes me think it is not a big deal, but there was something not right about the situation and it scares me that my gut was telling me to get out of there. I had images of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. :help:

kijip
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Trust your gut and good for you for getting in the car and driving off.

vejemom
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
That would have freaked me out a bit, too. I think your gut reaction was a good one. I'm generally wary of people approaching me/striking up conversations in parking lots. Doubly so if I have the girls with me, if nothing because I'm focused on their safety.

We were approached by a Morman on the mission leaving the Little Gym. I'm normally pretty respectful of different worldviews than my own, but it just was not the time to engage me. DD#1 was yelling about lunch, DD#2 was fussing, and I was focused on shepherding them through the busy lot. I told him that I would listen to his spiel if I could tell him about my religion. Not very nice if me, but oh well.

vludmilla
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I am reading Gavin DeBecker's Gift of Fear right now and he says that the gut feeling you had is your intuition and you should always trust it. He says we get ourselves into trouble when we rationalize away our gut reaction. I think you were right to think the guy was creepy...all the things you noticed as being wrong/out of place are exactly the things that deBecker says inform your intuition and should be trusted. Anyway, I'm glad you got out of there!

Carrots
06-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I didn't mention this, but his reaction to my "none of your business" response was a very sly creepy smile... this is what really got me.

vludmilla
06-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I didn't mention this, but his reaction to my "none of your business" response was a very sly creepy smile... this is what really got me.

I am so glad you got away quickly. I definitely think you were right to be concerned about his behavior. It sounds just like examples in that book. If you haven't read Gift of Fear or Protecting the Gift, I highly recommend them.

KpbS
06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Ugh, gross! So sorry you had to deal w/ that creep. Thank goodness you could get out of there in a hurry.

:hug:

Toba
06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that you did the right thing! Glad you're both safe!

alirebco
06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Ick - definitely sounds very creepy and you absolutely have to trust your gut in those types of situations. Thank goodness you were able to just jump into your car, lock the doors and drive away quickly.

MamaMolly
06-23-2009, 01:41 AM
eeeewwwwww. Just reading this has given me the creeps. I would definitely keep my eyes peeled for him the next time I went to that shop. The PP is right, this guy gave you plenty of 'warnings' that something wasn't right with him. Trust those instincts!

MCsMom
06-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Wow.

Glad you and DD are safe. You did the right thing by getting out of there quickly.

citymama
06-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Oh man, just reading this gives me the creeps. SO glad you acted quickly and got away without any trouble. This happened in the afternoon - can you imagine if it had been in the evening? Any way to report him, even if just to the store you were at, so they can watch out for their customers? Esp. if it's a kid's store. Really glad you are OK!

frgsnlzrds
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
This is why I carry pepper spray: I was putting my dc in the car when it was raining once, so I just sat them in the seat and got in the front to turn around and buckle them, and a man walked up and got in the passenger seat. He was obviously drunk and tried to get me to give him a ride somewhere. I kept asking him to leave, but it took me getting out my cell to make him get out. Then he walked two cars over and got in his own car. I drove to a more popular part of the lot as fast as I could with the the kids not even buckled, I was so scared. The police never found him.

Get yourself some pepper spray. You did the right thing by getting out of there.

mamaoftwins
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Good job, Kristen!! I know it's after the fact, but you may want to call your local police department and report it. I have had several dealings with the police in the past regarding similar instances ... this is what they are there for. Yay you for trusting your instincts. :hug:

maestramommy
06-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot since I saw your post. We live in a pretty safe area, but still, it only takes one nut to scare you silly. The pepper spray is a good idea!

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't like that either. It gave me the chills just hearing about it. Always listen to your gut.

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-23-2009, 06:51 PM

I might write down his description and give the local police a call. They could at least look out for him and patrol the area more. In AZ we can look up sex offenders online,I would do that in this case. We had a creepy guy talking to kids in our area, turned out to be a sex offender, and all of our neighbors alerted others to be safe.

KrisM
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Ick. I'm glad you trusted your instincts.

DrSally
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
That does sound creepy. Trust your instincts. I think we can be too polite to strangers that make us uncomfortable sometimes. I'm glad you didn't engage him any further.

DrSally
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!